Recommended Posts

Just had the latest NX300 on 24hr test drive. The road noise was truly terrible. Really started to wear you out. When I took it back the dealer said the previous model was even worse!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I noticed this road noise on a courtesy NX, as well as the new CT. it’s almost like there isn’t enough sound deadening in the newer, smaller cars. I don’t think it’s unique to Lexus though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably tyres rather than anything else - its not much louder than an IS is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have said in another thread, just swapped OEM Yokohama tyres for Michelin cross Climates and it has made quite a difference to the noise level

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it’s the eco tyres to get the CO2 ratings down? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Dan has noted, the CrossClimates really do seem to reduce road noise, and I haven't seen an increase in fuel consumption since fitting them. In general NX reviews seem to think it's a fairly quiet car: Autocar's 2014 road test had the NX as quiet at 70 mph as an F-Pace at 30 mph, which possibly isn't saying much... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the problems with saying the road noise is bad is that unlike every other diesel I have owned you don't hear the road noise because of the noise the engine makes

the petrol engine is so quite (except when you put your foot down)

Never driven a Outlander PHEV but maybe to compare it with this on Electric only as some owners say it is more noisy under electric inside than when the engine goes.

AS said before it is all down to the tyres and I still have Yocos on so it does seem quite a lot of road noise 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That ^^^^^^^^ is a very good point.

Just about every other car this size has a grumbly 4-cyl diesel engine in the background. The NX doesn't which exposes everything else. The road noise is no worse than most other cars of its type, actually quieter than an Evoque with silly sized tyres. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@FunkyboyI found the same when I had an F-Sport model when my standard Sport was at the dealer (not sure what model you had?). The standard suspension seems much quieter based on my experience, and tyres also make a big difference as noted by others. 

My NX is quieter on all levels than my previous Honda CRV, but I doubt it is as quiet as my saloon Accord was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

@FunkyboyI found the same when I had an F-Sport model when my standard Sport was at the dealer (not sure what model you had?). The standard suspension seems much quieter based on my experience, and tyres also make a big difference as noted by others. 

My NX is quieter on all levels than my previous Honda CRV, but I doubt it is as quiet as my saloon Accord was. 

With the cross climates on the having an accord before the NX the road noise isn't much different

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only other consideration is the condition of the roads,  pot holes aren't the main problem of road noise its the poorly repaired pot holes and all the worn out sections making the roads look like patchwork quilt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30 March 2018 at 9:03 PM, Heanorboy said:

One of the problems with saying the road noise is bad is that unlike every other diesel I have owned you don't hear the road noise because of the noise the engine makes

the petrol engine is so quite (except when you put your foot down)

Never driven a Outlander PHEV but maybe to compare it with this on Electric only as some owners say it is more noisy under electric inside than when the engine goes.

AS said before it is all down to the tyres and I still have Yocos on so it does seem quite a lot of road noise 

Did the same trip after the test drive in my own car which is diesel. My car was so much quieter with road noise. You also can't hear the engine in mine though the NX engine was also very quite it was the road and wind noise that was dissapointing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 31 March 2018 at 10:13 AM, EssexGonzo said:

That ^^^^^^^^ is a very good point.

Just about every other car this size has a grumbly 4-cyl diesel engine in the background. The NX doesn't which exposes everything else. The road noise is no worse than most other cars of its type, actually quieter than an Evoque with silly sized tyres. 

My current car is diesel when on motorway there isn't any engine noise (though there wasn't in the NX either) it was the road and wind noise that I found excessive in NX my own car was substantially quiter 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Funkyboy said:

Did the same trip after the test drive in my own car which is diesel. My car was so much quieter with road noise. You also can't hear the engine in mine though the NX engine was also very quite it was the road and wind noise that was dissapointing 

You do have to understand that you can't really compare an SUV to a saloon in terms of wind noise simply because of the poorer aerodynamics leading to more wind noise on the SUV. Crosswinds on the motorway will also cause a substantial increase in wind noise which would not normally be present on a normal day

Road noise is almost certainly to do with the tyres as others have commented on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. Tyres make a big difference. Agreed. Road noise definitely reduced when I replaced the OE Yokohamas with Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres. Difference was quite marked. MY experience is that an F-Sport is always noisier than a non F-Sport too. At least to my own ears

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've come to the conclusion the noise thing is a bit like living near an airport or a railway line - some people get really really bugged by it, others (like me - I live near a railway line) just aren't bothered at all.

I had a four-hour round trip on Saturday (which is mammoth by NI standards!) and just don't notice it at all - motorways, expressways, major roads, minor roads, just not at all. I have Bridgestones, which are not ideal.

I would agree that the noise is ever so slightly more noticeable than in an IS, but barely.

Just one of those things, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the road surface to be the largest contributor to noise.  On my commute home I go from a concrete road to a tarmac road and the difference in noise level is huge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now