Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My LH passenger door wing mirror suffered a cracked glass after a minor clash with a Transit van - the plastic mirror casing was not even scratched but the glass is cracked and leaking fluid. After recovering from the shock of being told the price of a replacement from Lexus I thought I would try a £15 eBay mirror with heater element (but not auto dim) - got to be worth a punt, or so I thought. My advice - don't bother! The plastic mounting tags are just not made accurate enough and after about 30 minutes of struggling I thought I'd better call it a day before I damaged the internal mirror mechanism by trying to force it into position. I've ordered a genuine Lexus mirror now, discounted, from an online supplier, but still the wrong side of £200. 

This is the one I got from eBay for my RX300 and it was very easy to install and works a treat, so my advice is - save yourself loads of money and go for it.

Maybe I was lucky; maybe you were unlucky; maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle, but for £15 it's well worth a punt.

Funnily enough, mine was an altercation with a Transit van too, and also not even a scratch on the outer casing - weird eh? :biggrin:

• Like 1

Yep, that's the same one that I got John, but the top plastic 'hooks' are way off.

Two of us, as I said, trying for half an hour to get it to fit - no chance. Hmmnn, could it be me ? Well I had to temporarily refit the cracked original - 10 seconds and I had it clicked nicely back into place, so I'll say no.

Cheers 

Dan

I got one of these and because my rx300 has the fluid filled mirrors they are expensive too so when it happened to me I ordered that one of eBay and it didn’t fit properly and the heating element didn’t connect as it’s a different  connection. The eBay seller said it didn’t fit my model with the fluid mirrors. I couldn’t stomach the Lexus price tag so I brought a stick on one instead. 

So three of us, all with different experiences of the same item from the same seller. Looks like wherever they're sourced from doesn't have much in the line of quality control.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

So three of us, all with different experiences of the same item from the same seller. Looks like wherever they're sourced from doesn't have much in the line of quality control.

Gotta be China would you say, John ? I had a similar problem with some chrome radiator trims for my Harley V Rod that I bought from China - the Harley ones were silly stupid money so I went for Chinese ones that were silly stupid cheap, looked great.... but didn't quite fit right. I managed to get them fitted in the end but it took a fair bit of modding.

You'd think there would be a manufacturer out there who would make pattern parts to a decent quality for these expensive vehicles and sell them at a reasonable, but not too good to be true, price. 

44 minutes ago, Nickyt211 said:

I got one of these and because my rx300 has the fluid filled mirrors they are expensive too so when it happened to me I ordered that one of eBay and it didn’t fit properly and the heating element didn’t connect as it’s a different  connection. The eBay seller said it didn’t fit my model with the fluid mirrors. I couldn’t stomach the Lexus price tag so I brought a stick on one instead. 

Thanks for that Nicole. To be honest I'm into my fifth year of owning this RX400h and, as it's cost me the square root of naff all in repairs, I guess I can take the odd hit when I have to.

PS. You didn't by any chance used to drive a Renault Clio did you ? :laugh:

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...