Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

DSC03514.JPG.4bfa72f64ea125349a8f201387815e7e.JPGHave just fitted new replacement gas struts to my Mark 4 ,they came from China and are not as well engineered as the oem originals but at £20 for the pair I thought I would take a punt.

There is a bit of engineering involved in the fitting but no problem if you have a Dremel and cutting discs for same.

The original ball sockets have to be cut into to release a circlip so the swivels can be clipped into the replacement strut which is simple to do.

The process of removing the old strut requires the bonnet held in its highest position with a solid prop ,unscrewing the ball with a spanner from the body and bonnet.

Take the strut to the workbench and remove the ball from the ball socket by cutting across the edge of the socket so the clip is cut remove the clip and the ball comes out of the socket .

refasten the balls to the bonnet and body and the new struts just clip on with a push fit.DSC03504.JPG.66d3c1e09ae51948226448928d6b7015.JPG

DSC03508.JPG

Was the cutting done on the new struts?

When I changed mine it was just a nut and bolt job but they were a bit more expensive than yours £38.

I have to do the one on my RX300 but that looks more involved than the LS400 tbh.

Recently got new struts for the bootlid on my IS250 as it was slamming down hard ( very un-Lexus like if let go from about 1/3 to 1/2 open posistion) Got them from SGS Engineering and All fitted well and good.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boot-tailgate/lexus/is/gsc2655-lexus-is300-boot-strut

Note the Typo of IS300 in Ad!

Are those pics out of focus? or do I need to go to spec savers some time soon!

paul m.

35 minutes ago, Texas said:

Recently got new struts for the bootlid on my IS250 as it was slamming down hard ( very un-Lexus like if let go from about 1/3 to 1/2 open posistion) Got them from SGS Engineering and All fitted well and good.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boot-tailgate/lexus/is/gsc2655-lexus-is300-boot-strut

Note the Typo of IS300 in Ad!

Are those pics out of focus? or do I need to go to spec savers some time soon!

paul m.

Yes Paul I am working on it , the struts I bought from China are identical to those in the video same fixing method

I am taking mine down to SGS as I work in the area, I asked if they could rebuild my originals (which given their age now fail to hold in the colder weather but always recover in the summer) and they are happy to see if it can be done but need to check them first.

I have been quoted £17.50 +VAT per strut with a guarantee if they fail during the warranty period they will discount the cost off a brand new set.

• 2 years later...

Thank you Phil for your excellent advice and photographs showing removal of bonnet strut fixings on an LS400.

I have just operated successfully on my four LS430 struts today, and will refit them in the morning. 

First class advice, thank you.

Hi Chris

I had forgotten about this post, glad you got some assistance from it, this is the main point of the forum .

I am glad to report that those £20 struts are still as good as the day they were fitted.

Could I just add to this thread and update my earlier post.

I took my struts to SGS engineering as mentioned and had them re-gassed, put them on but they were worse than before.

I took them back again and they re-gassed them up to a very high pressure, refitted them and 2 years later they still almost lift the bonnet up when the catch is released never mind hold it up perfectly.

Just be very aware of the weight of the bonnet once the struts are removed and make sure the prop you fit before removal is stable, if the bonnet were to sudden drop while you have your head and hands under it you would certainly suffer some serious injuries.

35 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Could I just add to this thread and update my earlier post.

I took my struts to SGS engineering as mentioned and had them re-gassed, put them on but they were worse than before.

I took them back again and they re-gassed them up to a very high pressure, refitted them and 2 years later they still almost lift the bonnet up when the catch is released never mind hold it up perfectly.

Just be very aware of the weight of the bonnet once the struts are removed and make sure the prop you fit before removal is stable, if the bonnet were to sudden drop while you have your head and hands under it you would certainly suffer some serious injuries.

Been there, done that...........I used a piece of wood to prop up the bonnet on my 400. Everything worked well till I nudged the bit of wood with my elbow, while topping up the washer fluid!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links