Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My car is with Lexus Cambridge at the moment and I’ll let you know the outcome.

I did wonder if it’s a loose exhaust section thumping the bottom of the car but this wouldn’t really explain why it’s more obvious when the car is loaded, so my thinking is it’s still suspension related.

In the meantime I’ll just wait for the phone call and “enjoy” the CT200h they’ve loaded me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Odysseus said:

My car is with Lexus Cambridge at the moment and I’ll let you know the outcome.

I did wonder if it’s a loose exhaust section thumping the bottom of the car but this wouldn’t really explain why it’s more obvious when the car is loaded, so my thinking is it’s still suspension related.

In the meantime I’ll just wait for the phone call and “enjoy” the CT200h they’ve loaded me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine is in for service tomorrow but I'm not too hopeful as its been looked at twice already without results so it'll be interesting to hear what's found on yours.

Mine is in for service tomorrow but I'm not too hopeful as its been looked at twice already without results so it'll be interesting to hear what's found on yours.

The conversation yesterday was along the lines of “we checked the suspension and it was fine”, but personally I’m sure that was just some mechanic dude using a pry bar on various bits when it was on the ramp.

It’s going to be booked back in for more(!) warranty work in the next few weeks so I won’t hesitate to ask them to investigate further.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Odysseus said:

The conversation yesterday was along the lines of “we checked the suspension and it was fine”, but personally I’m sure that was just some mechanic dude using a pry bar on various bits when it was on the ramp.

It’s going to be booked back in for more(!) warranty work in the next few weeks so I won’t hesitate to ask them to investigate further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, no joy with mine today apart from being told nothing is wrong and it's a lovely car!  

Hmm, no joy with mine today apart from being told nothing is wrong and it's a lovely car!  

Regrettably I had to have a bit of a rant at Lexus Cambridge along the lines of I reported problems a month ago and you’ve seen the car twice since then and not done anything blah blah.

I’ll be talking to the service manager today which will probably mean my car will go back in and I’ll be trundling round in another CT200 looking a bit disgruntled.

With regards to my thump it’s like it happens on the ‘rebound’ of the suspension, so not when you immediately hit a bump, more than you hit a bump, the suspension compresses, then settles, accompanied by a thump. Clearly all this takes place in fractions of a second.

As ever, will keep this thread updated with what happens.

3 hours ago, Odysseus said:

Regrettably I had to have a bit of a rant at Lexus Cambridge along the lines of I reported problems a month ago and you’ve seen the car twice since then and not done anything blah blah.

I’ll be talking to the service manager today which will probably mean my car will go back in and I’ll be trundling round in another CT200 looking a bit disgruntled.

With regards to my thump it’s like it happens on the ‘rebound’ of the suspension, so not when you immediately hit a bump, more than you hit a bump, the suspension compresses, then settles, accompanied by a thump. Clearly all this takes place in fractions of a second.

As ever, will keep this thread updated with what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's sort of how mine is but I only get it with very minor bumps and rough surfaces.  I feel nothing at all through the steering either.  I can't wait to find the problem as it's an irritant, although not a serious one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My car is back with Lexus Cambridge today.  This time I went out with the technician and was able to recreate the suspension thump on a speed bump 300 metres from the dealership.

As soon as it happened talk turned to shock absorbers, so we'll see what happens next.  I'll keep this thread updated if that's ok with the original poster.

Incidentally the courtesy car this time is a IS300h, a vast improvement over the thoroughly underwhelming CT200h from the last visit.  At this rate of slowly working my way up the model range I'm going to need to have a few more problems before I'm sat in a courtesy LS.

• Like 1

Lexus Cambridge hath spoken... They are requesting a new off side rear shock absorber under warranty.  They're also requesting warranty cover for a few other things that aren't quite working properly, like the driver's door mirror, (at least one of) my TPMS sensors, and the passenger seat belt unit which keeps pinning my wife to the seat.

Cough cough build quality cough cough.

Let's hope it sorts your problem. I don't feel my issue is a worn shock, the noise is very slight and almost "plastic" sounding than metal. Either way it definitely comes from the front off side.  Iv'e covered over 3K and it hasn't worsened so maybe I just have to wait until it does...if it does. 

An email today has informed me that the warranty will cover everything, which is good as a new shock is hundreds of pounds. 

Let's hope this fixes the thumping.

38 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

An email today has informed me that the warranty will cover everything, which is good as a new shock is hundreds of pounds. 

Let's hope this fixes the thumping.

Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...
Keep us posted.

After exactly two weeks I have my car back. New wing mirror, new TPMS, and most usefully a new right rear shock absorber. No more thumping noises over speed bumps.

It’s VERY gratifying having my own car back and after two weeks in the slightly annoying but entirely competent 18 plate IS300h I’d forgotten just how good my (now a decade old!) GS feels. It feels more solid, it’s far roomier, the stereo is better, and it’s hyperdrive fast.

5af675b4e00647dcbd853900609a0fe1.jpg

• Like 1

Good news Andrew, and interesting that you prefer yours over a brand new one! I've still got my slight knock, but after more than 3k miles it hasn't got any worse.  With the AC fan going you can't really hear it but it's really annoying when you can. I would actually like it to get worse as it'll be easier to locate the problem.  If and when I do find it I'll report back.  Happy motoring! 🚗

• Like 1

• 3 months later...