Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 Auto - Not Starting Today

vette

Hi All,

I feel very let down by my ultra reliable IS250.

I went out to it this morning, touched the door handle and it automatically unlocked, nothing wrong there.

Parked myself in the drivers seat, foot on the brake (it's auto) green light illuminates on the push start, nothing wrong there

I press the start button, all the needles, gauges, dash lights all lit up, speedo and tacho needles spin the full distance, and go back to rest at zero.nothing wrong there.

At the same time while pressing the start  button, engine cranks over, and normally it fires up within a second or second and a half,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but not this time.

The starter kept cranking for around 6 seconds and stopped.

OMG, Thats not normal, it's never done that before.

Presses the start button again, the starter started and kept cranking for around 6 seconds and stopped again, just like before.

Heart is now sinking fast,

Presses the button, still green as my foot is still on the brake,   the starter started and kept cranking for around 6 seconds and stopped again, just like before.

What to do, has a 3/4 tank of fuel, has Battery power, (I have took the Battery out tonight to charge it indoors) but what on earth can it be ??

I am so sad this has let me down

vette

Check the basics first, spark and fuel. I would pull one on the spark plug coils and put in a spare plug resting on the engine to earth it and see if you have a spark. If yes suspect the fuel system and check the fuel pump relay etc.

Call out your recovery company if you are a member of one.

+1 on the basics first, 3/4 of a tank you say? Is there any way that gauge could be faulty and you have not put fuel in for a while? Do you keep tabs on range/fuel used as if gauge is faulty then computer's indicated range will also be faulty ( untrue )

Did anything unusual happen before parking it up before this attempted start?

paul m.

If you have a second key try that - could it be an issue with the immobiliser?

If you have an OBD reader try to see if theres any codes stored

Failing all that I would reset the system by unplugging the Battery - leave for 20 mins and try starting again

I did think about suggesting another key but dismissed this as the OP states that the starter motor is running and I don't think this would occur if it was an immobiliser problem. 

I would put my money on fuel problem or a sudden failure of a critical electrical component if car was fine when last used, very strange!

gotta make sure a potential fuel problem is eliminated first by putting in a gallon/can! And resetting by disconnecting the Battery is a good ( easy, no cost) call.

paul m.

I'm no IS250 expert, but I have read with some cars the failure of the brake light switch (or even misadjustment) or a failed brake bulb can stop the engine starting. It's linked to cancelling the cruise control or starting the car in gear. Sounds unlikely in this case as I doubt it would permit the engine to crank, but just a thought. 

OP states that the Starter Motor is running for about 6 seconds but car is failing to fire up, this means for all intents and purposes the car wants to and is able to run but something has failed ( not Battery, immobiliser, or any starting procedure interlock ie foot brake/Park posistion) it tries to start for about six seconds then stops to protect starter from overheating/draining Battery if engine has not fired up in this time.

paul m.

Sounds like a faulty fuel pump. Try pressing down on the gas and brake pedal as far as they will go and then press the ignition. This will probably get the car started but you will need to get the fuel pump checked out.

Hi All,

OP here.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply to me. I really really appreciate it.

It must have been the Battery.

Even though I had tried to jump start it off my neighbours Battery, I feel even his Battery was not providing enough power.

It was cranking over good enough, but I feel at the same time, the batter voltage was being dragged down below what the electronics could cope with.

I removed the Battery to indoors, and charged for a full 12 hours overnight.

Following morning, I reconnected my charged Battery, and the engine was very close to starting, but not quite.

So I started my wife's Honda Civic, and while her engine was running, I connected my jump leads.

Then I could immediately hear her engine come under load, as her alternator kicked additional power into my Battery.

I left the two cars connected by jump leads for around 5 minutes, and with her Honda still running, I tried to start my Lexus.

After the 2nd attempt it started.

I disconnected the jump leads, from both her Honda and my Lexus, and closed her bonnet, and switched off her engine.

My Lexus was purring like a pussy cat once again.

I closed the bonnet, and went for a drive for 10 minutes. Everything working 100% as if there was never a problem.

When I got back home, I switched the engine off, and was immediately able to restart it, it cranked over really good, and fired up withing half a second.

Remembering back to the night before my "non-start" problem, I did move the Lexus forward half a metre, but all I did was press the auto shift lock button, and pull the stick from Park and then into Neutral.

I just physically pushed it half a metre and popped the stick back into Park.

Apart from that every thing was exactly normal.

I am beginning to think something was left on overnight, draining the Battery.

Has it still got the factory fit Battery? It would be a black topped Panasonic. Did it need any topping up prior to you charging it?

If your 250 is 2007 year then if you have still got the factory Battery then this is a sign of it about to give up completely. A recent ( quite lengthy! Get the kettle on!) thread covers most you need to know about getting a replacement Battery.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/107731-best-12v-battery-for-is250/

paul m.

pic of Factory fit Battery

image.jpeg

Release Date of Battery is on end of yellow label

image.jpeg

Hi, and many thanks for your reply.

The Battery that is currently fitted is a Bosch.

I don't know when it was fitted, as it was done by the previous owner.

I should try find some date markings, or codes etc, and look to determine the Battery manufacture date, 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links