Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dads looking at purchasing a GS450h - any advice

Guest rdb85

So my Dad is looking to upgrade his car, I’ve said why not look at a Lexus, he has found a GS450h that is not too far and is the SE-L spec. Anything in particular to look out for?

Thanks

Rob

Guest rdb85
6 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I suggest that he buys from a Lexus dealer if at all possible (Liverpool/Chester) and obtains a Lexus Warranty.

Thanks I will check the Lexus site, he’s seen a few for sale from 2006 - 2012 from various non Lexus dealers, that are a good price.

8 minutes ago, rdb85 said:

Thanks I will check the Lexus site, he’s seen a few for sale from 2006 - 2012 from various non Lexus dealers, that are a good price.

Lexus Dealer cars will have a full Lexus Service History which is a must have in my view. 

Good luck with the search.

For piece of mind try and get the youngest possible and either via a Lexus dealer or purchase a Lexus 2 year warranty afterwards (which may be subject to inspection). Ones that are very cheap tend to have hidden issues.

• Like 1

Guest rdb85
3 minutes ago, XT5 said:

Just one thing, if you are keen on getting the Lexus warranty, that one would be too old.

Oh right didn’t know that, what’s is the age limit, as he hasn’t really got a big budget at £10k. 

1 hour ago, rdb85 said:

Oh right didn’t know that, what’s is the age limit, as he hasn’t really got a big budget at £10k. 

10 years or 140,000 miles whichever comes first.

Ask Mosesgate if it has an existing warranty with Lexus.  If it has it may be possible  for Lexus to cover it notwithstanding its age.

Guest rdb85
54 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

10 years or 140,000 miles whichever comes first.

Ask Mosesgate if it has an existing warranty with Lexus.  If it has it may be possible  for Lexus to cover it notwithstanding its age.

It’s been serviced my a Lexus Main Dealer. I will ask them.

10 hours ago, rdb85 said:

£11k. Blimey. I didn't realise they were going for such strong money (even taking the super low miles into account). Looks like a cracking car though.

Guest rdb85
1 hour ago, Normski said:

£11k. Blimey. I didn't realise they were going for such strong money (even taking the super low miles into account). Looks like a cracking car though.

Do you think, that its slightly overpriced, or would you say that it justifies the age, condition, mileage and spec?

Just how much time has that car spent standing unused to end up with a mileage as low as that? That would put me right off TBH. Especially with a hybrid Battery, surely it's better for these things to be used?

And these cars take miles very well indeed. I think a well serviced and cared for GS450H with six times that mileage would be just as good as that one in everyday use, and would be half the price.

And that would leave enough money in the bank to (only if he's really unlucky!!) replace the exhaust, and the shock absorbers, and have the Battery reconditioned, and you'd still have a significant amount of money left from your Dad's budget.

Just my opinion, I'm sure others will have other thoughts.

@XT5 - I'm with you here. Low miles doesn't mean stuff doesn't need changing and running. Hopefully the owner would have understood this but would still be worth checking items such as age of tyres, corrosion (things like the exhaust may not be getting up to temp), brake fluid changes, etc.

Guest rdb85

There is also this one, it’s more expensive and it’s a 2010 plate: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803284996965?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=l192rf&model=GS 450H&sort=distance&page=1&aggregatedTrim=SE-L&radius=80&make=LEXUS&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New

It hard trying to find an SE-L model within a decent radius. But I reckon you could do some negotiation on the 06 plate.

The 2010 is the last of the line (facelift) too so spec will be slightly different. Negotiation may well be worth trying.

As for servicing...my understanding is that they still need to be serviced each year if not reaching the mileage limit.

3 hours ago, XT5 said:

Just how much time has that car spent standing unused to end up with a mileage as low as that? That would put me right off TBH. Especially with a hybrid battery, surely it's better for these things to be used?

And these cars take miles very well indeed. I think a well serviced and cared for GS450H with six times that mileage would be just as good as that one in everyday use, and would be half the price.

And that would leave enough money in the bank to (only if he's really unlucky!!) replace the exhaust, and the shock absorbers, and have the battery reconditioned, and you'd still have a significant amount of money left from your Dad's budget.

Just my opinion, I'm sure others will have other thoughts.

Wouldn't be too worried to be honest.

Petrol engines heat up pretty quickly and the exhaust would be up to temperate in all but the shortest of trips. 

As for the hybrid system itself - it should be fine - less use in terms of electrics does generally make it a good thing. The Battery has probably degraded a bit but nowhere as much as one that has been constantly run day to day has been.

Some  bargaining points?

Tyres may well disintegrate (My daughter bought a pristine car that had spent a long time doing very few miles. All four tyres failed spectacularly about a week in.)

Latest sat maps

What is the number plate worth?

Those 15k miles have cost about £40,000!

John

looking on the gov mot history site and it didn't have an mot for 3 yrs also the mileage increased in 1yr by 3fold then back to virtually nothing again.

Reason for failure O/S/F, O/S/R and N/S/R tyres damage to the outer tyre walls. this damage on all three tyres is of cosmetic importance only. no structural damage or chords exposed. satisfactory for MOT standard .

After 2600 miles, something dozen fit right. I would be asking a lot of questions before I drew a penny out of the bank.

Guest rdb85

Any advice on what to ask them? I’m okay checking a car but any specific questions would be great.  But I have asked for more detail on how long the car had been sitting for. Also the gap in the mot history. As I don’t want my dad buying a lemon.