Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dads looking at purchasing a GS450h - any advice

Guest rdb85

I may go and see the car with my dad on the weekend, any advice? What to look out for and general questions. Reckon I try and see if there is a negotiation on price?

Guest rdb85

I know people keep saying get a newer model. Trouble is my Dad has a budget. Also it’s hard finding an SE-L model. As it’s the one you would want. The hybrid also suits him based on fuel and tax. 

The only other one for sale is the 10 plate from BMW, but I would have to see whether they cover it under the extended warranty. 

Its easy to say get a younger car, but budget does play a huge part. I’m sure if the car was booked in for a Major Service at Lexus, depending if he bought it or not that would be a good option?

Wouldn't be too worried to be honest.
Petrol engines heat up pretty quickly and the exhaust would be up to temperate in all but the shortest of trips. 
As for the hybrid system itself - it should be fine - less use in terms of electrics does generally make it a good thing. The battery has probably degraded a bit but nowhere as much as one that has been constantly run day to day has been.

This is wrong. The hybrid Battery needs to be used regularly otherwise it will degrade. If it’s left sitting unused for long periods it will degrade. Also, the exhaust may not heat up quickly. My 450h doesn’t heat up at all when I drop my daughter to school, it runs mainly on Battery

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Guest rdb85

There is this one from the same dealer: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802163779940?make=LEXUS&radius=1500&model=GS 450H&sort=distance&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=l192rf&aggregatedTrim=SE&page=1

Its the SE spec, not the SE-L not sure of the difference. I suppose the main question to ask has Lexus checked the hybrid batteries.

1 minute ago, australianstan said:

This is wrong. The hybrid battery needs to be used regularly otherwise it will degrade. If it’s left sitting unused for long periods it will degrade. Also, the exhaust may not heat up quickly. My 450h doesn’t heat up at all when I drop my daughter to school, it runs mainly on battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should heat up within a few miles especially with a petrol 3.5l lump up front. The engine should be idling whilst on Battery if not up to temp.

Hybrid batteries degrade over time but not to the same degree as one that is constantly being recharged and used. Remember that this is a bog standard nickel metal hydride Battery. Last time I checked, the batteries in my tv remote were dead before the expired 3 year old replacements

It's pretty much impossible to deplete the charge in a hybrid Battery anyway. Its cycle runs from around 20-80% for longevity and if you do manage to deplete it, you'd be the first to test out the Toyota Frankenstein machine used to charge them up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rdb85 said:

There is this one from the same dealer: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802163779940?make=LEXUS&radius=1500&model=GS 450H&sort=distance&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=l192rf&aggregatedTrim=SE&page=1

Its the SE spec, not the SE-L not sure of the difference. I suppose the main question to ask has Lexus checked the hybrid batteries.

States in the ad that the hybrid health check has been done. Hence it's fine.

8 hours ago, rdb85 said:

" HAS ALL THE EXTRAS SUCH AS SAT NAV, REVERSE CAMERA, FULL BEIGE LEATHER INTERIOR WITH HEATED FRONT SEATS etc"

I thought they all had that ? leather colour aside.

SEL over SE, SEL has the 18" wheels, ML stereo, sunroof & boot lip spoiler & sometimes radar cruise.

Easiest way to spot a SEL in the wild is to look for the boot lip spoiler.

I love my sunroof though used it loads so far well worth getting a SEL over a SE.

36 minutes ago, rdb85 said:

So you think that the 06 plate would be okay? As I would rather he went for that as its an SE-L model.

Yes should be fine providing it's had its services and healthchecks done

With older cars it's hard to expect them to be pristine. Most will have some sort of missing service history. Look at its condition and make up your mind as to whether it's been looked after. 

I don't have any concerns about it being parked up for a while. Last time I looked, most classic cars are garaged indoors sometimes for years on end. 

In theory a car with 15k miles garaged indoors is always going to be tighter than a 70k car used everyday and left outside. Rubber deteriorates over time which would explain the MOT failure but mechanically it should be spot on. Get a service done and go for the extended warranty and it should serve your dad well.

Find out how many owners it's had which may correspond with the change in mileage. 

1 hour ago, Initial P said:

" HAS ALL THE EXTRAS SUCH AS SAT NAV, REVERSE CAMERA, FULL BEIGE LEATHER INTERIOR WITH HEATED FRONT SEATS etc"

I thought they all had that ? leather colour aside.

SEL over SE, SEL has the 18" wheels, ML stereo, sunroof & boot lip spoiler & sometimes radar cruise.

Easiest way to spot a SEL in the wild is to look for the boot lip spoiler.

I love my sunroof though used it loads so far well worth getting a SEL over a SE.

There were four trim levels of the 450h when launched. Base, SE, Sport and SEL. All 450h models from '06 to '10 run on 18" wheels. SE facelift from 2010 changed to 17". All 450h models from '06 to '08 had a boot lip spoiler. Dropped from SE after '08 facelift. '06 to '08 450h SEL fitted with radar cruise and sunroof as standard. After '08 became an option. Sunroof was an option on SE. Both SE and SEL 450h have ML as standard. Cooled seats option dropped from SE after '08 facelift. You can tell an '08 facelift model from the visible changes, namely the side indicators were moved to the wing mirrors from the front wings, a slightly different grille and the lower rear bumper panels are body coloured. Prior to this they were black. The following may be of help. They are pages from the 2008 brochure that were on another thread provided by @stevet

2.thumb.jpg.f26c1fb284da7b8761cf9da82a87276c.jpg.f4d56035cbf33540e3814dcfef81cdd2.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.45d1bc497089bd57e743ca112e507e9c.jpg.cab4cc5529dc6b0b8419b26a95ebf5ac.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.876277ef8d2308016960d70065132a66.jpg.0271094db67027ca50536e3ee2ee0127.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Yes should be fine providing it's had its services and healthchecks done

With older cars it's hard to expect them to be pristine. Most will have some sort of missing service history. Look at its condition and make up your mind as to whether it's been looked after. 

I don't have any concerns about it being parked up for a while. Last time I looked, most classic cars are garaged indoors sometimes for years on end. 

In theory a car with 15k miles garaged indoors is always going to be tighter than a 70k car used everyday and left outside. Rubber deteriorates over time which would explain the MOT failure but mechanically it should be spot on. Get a service done and go for the extended warranty and it should serve your dad well.

Find out how many owners it's had which may correspond with the change in mileage. 

And do not overlook your Statutory Rights Rob, which mean that the Dealer has to correct at his cost any significant problem which arises within  the first 6 months from purchase and which was present or developing at the time of purchase.  https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights  

Following my previous post just to add for OP the visible differences for the '10 facelift are, externally, redesigned 18" alloys on SEL and 17" alloys fitted to SE, although the 18" was an option. Also a new front grille. Inside the infotainment system was updated with DAB introduced and the tape player removed. I believe also with this final facelift Base and Sport trim levels were also discontinued.

Guest rdb85
1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

And do not overlook your Statutory Rights Rob, which mean that the Dealer has to correct at his cost any significant problem which arises within  the first 6 months from purchase and which was present or developing at the time of purchase.  https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights  

Thanks for that John. I will ask the dealer if they have any proof from Lexus that the hybrid batteries where checked. I assume they would have done this before except the car. I will also check the tyres, exhaust and overall condition of the car with my Dad. 

Rob, you could also consider asking as a condition of purchase, that they (Mosesgate) take the car to nearest Lexus dealer for them (Lexus) to inspect it and state whether they (Lexus) would be prepared to cover it with the Lexus warranty. I currently pay £1095 every 2 years.

If Lexus say,yes, you buy the car, if Lexus say no, you don`t.

Just a thought.

Guest rdb85
3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Rob, you could also consider asking as a condition of purchase, that they (Mosesgate) take the car to nearest Lexus dealer for them (Lexus) to inspect it and state whether they (Lexus) would be prepared to cover it with the Lexus warranty. I currently pay £1095 every 2 years.

If Lexus say,yes, you buy the car, if Lexus say no, you don`t.

Just a thought.

That’s a thought that John, I emailed Lexus and said that I was looking to make a purchase, gave them the Reg, they said that it doesn’t qualify for a warranty, even with the mileage being so low. 

1 hour ago, rdb85 said:

That’s a thought that John, I emailed Lexus and said that I was looking to make a purchase, gave them the Reg, they said that it doesn’t qualify for a warranty, even with the mileage being so low. 

How about this ?

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/GS-450h/35-Sport-pbbmj7v

28 minutes ago, rdb85 said:

Not that keen on that, mileage is a bit high also. That red one looks okay? What do you reckon?

Check it out with Lexus and if it will qualify for the Lexus Warranty, then it seems ok. Good luck.

Guest rdb85

31/03/So I emailed a Lexus dealership, asked if the red car would be covered under warranty. Here is there reply:

As we are now in April 2018 and the car was registered in March 2008 the car is over 10 years old and therefore does not qualify for cover with an extended warranty.

The car was registered on 31/03/2008  But if you read the website it says Coverage available on Lexus models up to 10 years old or 140,000 miles*

So surely the car should qualify, should it not? Being that it meets those requirements. 

5 minutes ago, rdb85 said:

31/03/So I emailed a Lexus dealership, asked if the red car would be covered under warranty. Here is there reply:

The car was registered on 31/03/2008  But if you read the website it says Coverage available on Lexus models up to 10 years old or 140,000 miles*

So surely the car should qualify, should it not? Being that it meets those requirements. 

The car is 10 years old on 30/3 2018, me thinks. If you agree, then tell them to think again Rob, or they will not have your business.

I see that Normski has a different view to me.

I think that only buying from a Lexus dealer will give you peace of mind.

I pointed one out to you, but you thought that the mileage was too high. I think that if you went to that particular dealer they will offer one year`s extended warranty plus 2 years further extension in order to make the sale.. NOTHING VENTURED, NOTHING GAINED ROB.

It's what I was told when I took my Lexus Extended Warranty out (from both the dealer and Lexus warranty folk). Mine hits 10years in Jan 2019...but as long as I take out an extension to the current extended warranty before then I can keep going for ANOTHER two years AFTER this current one finishes in June 2019. Result :)

This is actually one of the main points for me to keep the car rather than my current want of selling it. Decisions. Decisions...

• Like 1