Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dads looking at purchasing a GS450h - any advice

2 minutes ago, Normski said:

It's what I was told when I took my Lexus Extended Warranty out (from both the dealer and Lexus warranty folk). Mine hits 10years in Jan 2019...but as long as I take out an extension to the current extended warranty before then I can keep going for ANOTHER two years AFTER this current one finishes in June 2019. Result :)

This is actually one of the main points for me to keep the car rather than my current want of selling it. Decisions. Decisions...

Thanks Norman. I was not implying that you were wrong, merely that you saw things differently to me.

What matters is the wording in the current document which  embodies the Extended Warranty and in which there will no doubt a be host of denitions.

Regards

John

Guest rdb85

I have told them that really they have lost a valuable customer, as my Dad was not really happy. I know they have rules but its 6 days. It's not like it a few months out.

Sorry to hear this Rob. If you aren't in a rush and really want a 450 you may have to sit tight and keep an eye out for the right one. I personally hate doing this as once I want to change I really want to change! ...but with the sensible cap on it usually is the best thing to do even though a compromise in other areas (e.g. spec/colour/etc.) may still be required.

• Like 1

Guest rdb85
3 minutes ago, Normski said:

Sorry to hear this Rob. If you aren't in a rush and really want a 450 you may have to sit tight and keep an eye out for the right one. I personally hate doing this as once I want to change I really want to change! ...but with the sensible cap on it usually is the best thing to do even though a compromise in other areas (e.g. spec/colour/etc.) may still be required.

I know your right, but its a bit pedantic really. My Dad said we will check that one out in Birmingham, see what that is like, but he has decided to go and see the 06 one just to test drive it and get some more details on it. But most likely he will just wait.  

Guest rdb85

Here is what they said:

I have checked with the company that supply the extended warranty and I am correct in what I have told you, that the vehicle is too old to be covered by an extended warranty through ourselves.    The date of registration is the 10 year cut off date.  

However, if you wish to raise this issue with Lexus you can call the Customer Services Team on 01737 367601.

It took me nigh on 6 months to find the GS450h I ended up buying.  I wanted a face-lift example, in the right colour, SE-L spec, with ACC.  I ended up buying a 2008 model from a Lexus dealer last July, which meant the car was 'expensive' relative to the other stuff on AutoTrader, but came prepared to a very high standard with a 12 month Lexus warranty.  I'm currently in conversations with my local dealer (Lexus Cambridge) about purchasing a two year warranty so there's no break in cover when my Lexus Used Warranty expires.

Given the relative rarity of the GS450h and the even greater rarity of very high specification ones, I think it's reasonable that your Dad may need to wait for the 'perfect' car.  Personally, I think it's worth waiting.

• Like 1

By far the largest issue I had when looking for my GS was the condition of cars. Too many had been abused and not looked after. My view is that fewer and fewer 'good' cars are now coming onto the market - regardless of manufacturer especially if they are petrol and automatic.

4 minutes ago, Normski said:

By far the largest issue I had when looking for my GS was the condition of cars. Too many had been abused and not looked after. My view is that fewer and fewer 'good' cars are now coming onto the market - regardless of manufacturer especially if they are petrol and automatic.

Agreed Norman, hence my advice to Rob to buy from a Lexus dealer.

One year warranty plus the option to take out a further 2 years extension is a no brainer to me.

In this case , He who hesitates is not lost !!

Just bide his time.

31 minutes ago, rdb85 said:

You know this one: http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/GS-450h/35-Sport-pbbmj7v

What is the difference between this and the SE-L? 

Are you actually reading this thread Rob? :)

This post from yesterday answers your question.  

23 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

Are you actually reading this thread Rob? :)

This post from yesterday answers your question.  

I was just about to ask Rob the same  question Odysseus  !!

The SE will more than meet his Dad`s needs . What he does not have cannot go wrong.

Guest rdb85

Sorry, I must have missed that, trouble with reading it on the phone. I will keep an eye out for an SE-L spec. Hopefully, a 09 plate turns up soon. But see what those two are like anyway, at least my Dad can test drive them, get a feel for the car and the spec etc. 

New member here... thought I'd pitch in on this one! The Lexus with 15k miles was on eBay a few months back and I think the auction ended at around £7k. The story on the listing was that it had been sat in a Central London underground carpark for  a long time hence the super low milage. Guy selling it seemed legit and said he'd acquired it as part of a job lot of cars/vans. I bidded on it as I thought it looked like a good deal but it went beyond my maximum.

Personally I think £12k for it is too much as there are better, newer examples available for less money (albeit with more miles)1

I've been on the hunt for a 450h for around 4 months now...still hoping to find an 08 facelift with around 100k on the clock for less than £6k!!

Guest rdb85
50 minutes ago, RanchoGrande said:

New member here... thought I'd pitch in on this one! The Lexus with 15k miles was on eBay a few months back and I think the auction ended at around £7k. The story on the listing was that it had been sat in a Central London underground carpark for  a long time hence the super low milage. Guy selling it seemed legit and said he'd acquired it as part of a job lot of cars/vans. I bidded on it as I thought it looked like a good deal but it went beyond my maximum.

Personally I think £12k for it is too much as there are better, newer examples available for less money (albeit with more miles)1

I've been on the hunt for a 450h for around 4 months now...still hoping to find an 08 facelift with around 100k on the clock for less than £6k!!

The black one with 15k miles, now that’s interesting. I’ve seen this today by the same company:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803274973894?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=l192rf&model=GS 450H&sort=distance&page=1&make=LEXUS&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New

My Dad does think it’s rather a high price tag, especially for the age of the car, he’s also a big sceptical on the MOT history. I think if they where asking maybe 6k to £8k maximum then they would get more interest.

I think he’s going to keep an eye out for an SE-L as we went to see the red one and he was really impressed with it. But because Lexus refuses the warranty on it he wasn’t keen on buying it, he would rather have the warranty for piece of mind. So he’s going to wait and see what comes up as he could get a newer car with a decent service history and warranty. 

That Sport model looks okay but again it’s a bit too highly priced.

I bought mine from there just over a year ago. PM me if you want any info on the dealer.

Mine was serviced by the nearby Lexus dealer, so I wouldn't be surprised if this has come from then too.

Car is low mileage but not too low.

What's the MOT history like?

Is it missing any recalls?

Guest rdb85
36 minutes ago, Farqui said:

I bought mine from there just over a year ago. PM me if you want any info on the dealer.

Mine was serviced by the nearby Lexus dealer, so I wouldn't be surprised if this has come from then too.

Car is low mileage but not too low.

What's the MOT history like?

Is it missing any recalls?

I will do that here is the MOT history 

https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/FreeCheck?regno=AF58OPH

Clean looking car, but I’m curious as to why being despite being a 58 plate it’s not a facelift. Mine is an 08 and is a facelift. Facelift cars have indicators in the wing mirrors and a few other updates.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Clean looking car, but I’m curious as to why being despite being a 58 plate it’s not a facelift. Mine is an 08 and is a facelift. Facelift cars have indicators in the wing mirrors and a few other updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is pre-facelift and was registered March 2008. Only after I bought it did I realise it was manufactured Feb 2007- I wasn’t trained at the time to spot the very subtle facelift details. I still win- in the eyes of the Irish tax system it’s only €750pa, as opposed to €1809, but it commanded a very high purchase price as they’re like hens’ teeth in the ROI. Lexus has approved my traction Battery warranty until end Feb 2019. I’m just praying the Battery throws some codes soon so that I can replace the whole thing under warranty. Knowing my luck it’ll fail on the 1st march!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, rdb85 said:

It's cheap enough at that price, FSDH, has miles but not excessive and pic's look okay and is an easy colour to keep clean.  

What's your opinion?

Guest rdb85
3 hours ago, Farqui said:

It's cheap enough at that price, FSDH, has miles but not excessive and pic's look okay and is an easy colour to keep clean.  

What's your opinion?

My Dad likes the colour, although the one is Bury is a bit more, he may be able to get a warranty with that, I would have to contact Lexus. He still wants to view the red one also.