Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dads looking at purchasing a GS450h - any advice

Guest rdb85

Do you think he would be better buying one that would be covered under warranty. As they seem expensive to fix if something goes wrong.

Thata a tough call and I suspect you'll get a mix of replies.

Consider any money saved on the purchase can be held back IF anything needs repairing. Not paying for a warranty can also free funds for a 'war chest'.

I'm able to tackle most things myself but there are plenty of alternative and cheaper than dealer solitons available.

The warranty question is kinda odd as Lexus are one of the most reliable brands.

Guest rdb85

What do we think of this one it a lot more expensive, he could probably get a warranty with it amongst other stuff and a a bit of haggling with the dealer.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803254922348?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=l192rf&model=GS 450H&sort=distance&page=1&aggregatedTrim=SE-L&make=LEXUS&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New

Guest rdb85
24 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

It looks nice, but that is pushing series IV money which is a massive improvement over the series III IMO.

What is the best spec in the series 4? As I’ve seen a few for about that price again I’m not sure what they are like 

At launch the range for the 450h was Luxury, F Sport, and Premier. I doubt you will find a Premier in that price range, but the Luxury is well equipped. There was an SE grade but only available as a GS 250 SE.

Guest rdb85

I will see what he wants to do as ideally he only has £10k it’s finding a series 3 really that would be eligible for warranty. For piece of mind more than anything.

Hi all.

I would myself consider getting the car from a Lexus dealer i know they are dearer but you would get the warranty providing it is under 10years old.

I purchased my is250 from a dealer it is a 2009 car and i purchased a 2 year extra warranty so i have 3 years warranty it was a no brainer for me as my previous Jaguar was brought second hand from a dealer and had 6 months warrant which was not worth the paper it was written on and the car turned out to be a money pit so got rid and brought the Lexus instead and not regretted it:yahoo:

65mike:yes:

Guest rdb85
24 minutes ago, 65mike said:

Hi all.

I would myself consider getting the car from a Lexus dealer i know they are dearer but you would get the warranty providing it is under 10years old.

I purchased my is250 from a dealer it is a 2009 car and i purchased a 2 year extra warranty so i have 3 years warranty it was a no brainer for me as my previous Jaguar was brought second hand from a dealer and had 6 months warrant which was not worth the paper it was written on and the car turned out to be a money pit so got rid and brought the Lexus instead and not regretted it:yahoo:

65mike:yes:

Thanks Mike, I suppose it comes down to the blue one which is a 2010 or that one from Lexus in Bolton. 

Guest rdb85

Guest rdb85
3 hours ago, stevet said:

Wow £16k! You can get a MK4 for less than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s well over my Dads budget but they said that it comes with a years warranty, still doesn’t explain the high price, when he said that there is another Lexus that’s the same spec and a year younger with similar  mileage that was £12k is there a reason for the £4K price difference, they then tried to say that it has a sunroof which is an extra and adaptive cruise control with they said totals £3500. My dad not being that impressed with what they have come back with to be honest, I also pointed out that you can get a mk4 for around the same price. They also said that it wouldn’t include a 2 year extended warranty that would be separate.

So I am going to assume that unless they come back with an outstanding offer he may leave that one. The blue one he is quite interested in, but there is an issues on the mot and I was just wondering if you guys on here would be able to assist with that, as obviously it doesn’t come with a warranty, as Lexus have to precheck the car.

For now my Dad is going to see what comes back, if it’s not good then the search continues. 

Guest rdb85

My Dads budget is £10k but he has a £2k part exchange, so £12k would be his limit. He’s a big fan of the hybrids. So hopefully he’s able to get something. 

On 14/04/2018 at 2:04 PM, rdb85 said:

What do we think of this one it a lot more expensive, he could probably get a warranty with it amongst other stuff and a a bit of haggling with the dealer.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803254922348?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=l192rf&model=GS 450H&sort=distance&page=1&aggregatedTrim=SE-L&make=LEXUS&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New

It is a high price. £16k is what I paid for my GS450h, also on an 11 plate but lower miles, 3 years ago.

And I got three years warranty thrown in. They may struggle to sell that one.

Guest rdb85
2 hours ago, Mike Hartland said:

It is a high price. £16k is what I paid for my GS450h, also on an 11 plate but lower miles, 3 years ago.

And I got three years warranty thrown in. They may struggle to sell that one.

They will Mike, I managed to get them to agree on the same part exchange as the other company, but they were not willing to throw a warranty in even with that particular car is still £13,500. Which I have said is still too expensive, they said that they are doing a deal on a warranty atm which is £799. But if my Dad went for the Blue one that is £10k with the part exchange, my Dad could then purchase a warranty.

I said to Lexus that their car is too expensive and the extras that are included don't make the car worth more (not really) I said for my Dad to consider it then he would want the two-year warranty included, as ideally, the car is perhaps worth £12k-£13k, but I am not sure.

But in all honesty, as many have said its well overpriced and that you can get an MK4 GS for that money. 

Guest rdb85

Right Guys here is the update on the two so far:

Blue Lexus at BMW

The car is for sale at £12,000 with my Dads part exchange it's £10,000

The car does not have the Sunroof or Adaptive Cruise Control. - They also said that the car has Full Lexus Service History but they cannot provide an extended warranty.

Silver Lexus at Lexus Main Dealer

The car is £16,000 with my Dads part exchange its  £13,735

The car has the Sunroof and Adaptive Cruise Control. - They are offering 1 year Lexus Warranty but said that I could not have the Extended Warranty included, but could get £200 off it purchased separately.

Now if you where my Dad what would you do, do you think its worth the extra £3k to get the car from Lexus, or shall he forget it and go for the Blue one from BMW and just buy the extended warranty separately?

The blue one for sale at BMW is overpriced given the lack of an extended warranty and does not have ACC/PCS.  I would not buy.

The silver one for sale at Lexus is very overpriced but does have the correct specification.  On the basis of cost I would not buy.

I've said before that I waited 6 months for the "perfect" (for me) GS450h to be offered for sale.  I'm sure the Lexus dealer will be far more agreeable to a deal once that overpriced GS has been sat on their forecourt without selling for two months.

Given the relative scarcity of GS450's, you/your Dad may unfortunately need to be patient, or accept that you'll need to compromise on age/spec/condition (with implications on extended warranties) if you want a car immediately.

• Like 1

I agree with Odysseus. Wait for late 08 car or later on which you can still get two year extended warranty.

They are worth the wait and I understand you can wait with present car.

John

Guest rdb85
7 minutes ago, OldTrout said:

I agree with Odysseus. Wait for late 08 car or later on which you can still get two year extended warranty.

They are worth the wait and I understand you can wait with present car.

John

That’s true John, it would have to me an 09 plate as they are picky with the 08 plates as the dates have to be exact to get a warranty. 

Guest rdb85
28 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

The blue one for sale at BMW is overpriced given the lack of an extended warranty and does not have ACC/PCS.  I would not buy.

The silver one for sale at Lexus is very overpriced but does have the correct specification.  On the basis of cost I would not buy.

I've said before that I waited 6 months for the "perfect" (for me) GS450h to be offered for sale.  I'm sure the Lexus dealer will be far more agreeable to a deal once that overpriced GS has been sat on their forecourt without selling for two months.

Given the relative scarcity of GS450's, you/your Dad may unfortunately need to be patient, or accept that you'll need to compromise on age/spec/condition (with implications on extended warranties) if you want a car immediately.

I’ve tried to say that to the dealer but they are not budging on price. I even asked with the quote they have give including the part exchange would they include a 2 year extended warranty within the price. I also pointed out that it’s closer in price to a Mk4 GS.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links