Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dads looking at purchasing a GS450h - any advice

20 minutes ago, rdb85 said:

I’ve tried to say that to the dealer but they are not budging on price. I even asked with the quote they have give including the part exchange would they include a 2 year extended warranty within the price. I also pointed out that it’s closer in price to a Mk4 GS.

Expect £300-500 off the Lexus main dealer example. 

The ACC/PCS is crap in older cars anyway, wouldn't buy a car just because it had that. Its just about getting there with new cars. 

Sunroof depends on personal preferences but again, probably wouldn't pay £2-3k more for one. If there was a £1k difference providing everything else was the same I'd get the silver one but Id be opting for the blue one and just slapping a Lexus extended warranty on it

11 minutes ago, rdb85 said:

But there is this one:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263610647829

I just need to see if it’s covered for warranty.

That one will definitely be covered. Its not 10 years yet as its 58 plate

13 minutes ago, rayaans said:

The ACC/PCS is crap in older cars anyway, wouldn't buy a car just because it had that. Its just about getting there with new cars. 

Sunroof depends on personal preferences but again, probably wouldn't pay £2-3k more for one. If there was a £1k difference providing everything else was the same I'd get the silver one but Id be opting for the blue one and just slapping a Lexus extended warranty on it

My 2007 ACC works just fine. I fortunately have no experience of PCS.

John

Guest rdb85
29 minutes ago, rayaans said:

That one will definitely be covered. Its not 10 years yet as its 58 plate

I was thinking of looking at that and the blue one, out of those which would you recommend?

Guest rdb85
32 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I think your right there, if there was a grand difference I would look at the silver one but £3k is a bit steep. I’m not fussed about a sunroof but it’s nice and I’ve never experienced ACC/PCS

Guest rdb85

I asked the Lexus dealer in Bolton could they check if it’s eligible for an extended warranty 

They come back with 

I have checked and we would only be able to warranty the car if we was selling the car from this dealership 

I don’t think that the dealer is being very helpful lol

Indeed! English not good either.

My understanding of the extended warranty is that the car is checked over by Lexus dealer and if OK can be put on extended warranty. I did not realise that the dealer needed to be the seller as well. Perhaps just not enough profit for them despite fact that you might take the car to them for service which is profitable.

John

Guest rdb85
13 minutes ago, OldTrout said:

My understanding of the extended warranty is that the car is checked over by Lexus dealer and if OK can be put on extended warranty. I did not realise that the dealer needed to be the seller as well. Perhaps just not enough profit for them despite fact that you might take the car to them for service which is profitable.

John

Exactly John, I don’t think I will be going to view the car due to their attitude. They will struggle to sell that car at that price, serves them right for being greedy.

John

Quite right John. The extended warranty is something purchased from Lexus through the dealers, rather than being a dealer specific thing. I bought my (used) GS from Lexus Edgware Road but will be buying the extended warranty from Lexus Cambridge.

The extended warranty requirements are a car with a full Lexus Service History, under 10 years old, and under 140,000 miles.

It sounds like Lexus Bolton is being somewhat disingenuous (and using poor grammar) in suggesting only they can offer the extended warranty.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

The extended warranty requirements are a car with a full Lexus Service History, under 10 years old, and under 140,000 miles.

It doesn't even need Lexus service history. Although a requirement of the warranty is that it is services at a Lexus dealer during the warranty period.

I got mine from a local garage then took it to Lexus Stockport. They put a 2 year warranty on after inspection so doesn’t need to be from a main dealer. Mine was a mint 58 Reg, one owner, flsh, 69k miles for £5k.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, stevet said:

I got mine from a local garage then took it to Lexus Stockport. They put a 2 year warranty on after inspection so doesn’t need to be from a main dealer. Mine was a mint 58 Reg, one owner, flsh, 69k miles for £5k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar with me. I bought mine from an independent dealer I've known for years. I bought my warranty from Lexus Stoke, and because it had been serviced at a Lexus dealership not too long ago they didn't feel a need to inspect it.

And they honoured every claim I had without question. Rear o/s central locking fault, two boot lid rams, and both door mirrors complete. We always get superb service,  and are treated as if we'd bought a brand new car actually from them.

• Like 1

Guest rdb85

So my Dad was less than impressed by Lexus Bolton. He told them he was going to leave it.

Now he is keen on the blue one but he also likes the Silver 08 plate. Which would you go for? The Silver has done 70,000 miles and is £7800 and the Blue is £12000 but it’s got 46,000.

My Dad doesn’t like to wait really.

2 hours ago, rdb85 said:

So my Dad was less than impressed by Lexus Bolton. He told them he was going to leave it.

Now he is keen on the blue one but he also likes the Silver 08 plate. Which would you go for? The Silver has done 70,000 miles and is £7800 and the Blue is £12000 but it’s got 46,000.

My Dad doesn’t like to wait really.

IMO that small mileage difference is irrelevant on a GS450h. Look at the condition and service history, if they are comparable then your Dad might as well keep the £4200 difference in the bank.

6 hours ago, rdb85 said:

What does that give you for the extra £3190 that the one for £7800 doesn't, do you think? On the face of it, your Dad could buy the lower priced one, plus a two year Lexus warranty, and still be £2000 better off.

Guest rdb85
2 hours ago, XT5 said:

What does that give you for the extra £3190 that the one for £7800 doesn't, do you think? On the face of it, your Dad could buy the lower priced one, plus a two year Lexus warranty, and still be £2000 better off.

That is true, he also has a part exchange so I reckon he will get £2000 for that, so I reckon £6800 is not a bad price including the warranty from Lexus.  I think the only one he was keen on was 2010 one from BMW. 

Guest rdb85

I told Lexus Bolton that their car was overpriced, and would then consider a sensible offer. They said 

I can assure you we will not have this car long and will sell very soon ....

I wished them the best of luck, feel sorry really for whoever buys it. 

Guest rdb85
13 minutes ago, OldTrout said:

My Dad would have said "Buy in haste, regret at leisure".

John

I’ve done it myself John seen a car I like and thought no I will wait and see and then it sells then more come up but they are not as good and too far away.

2 hours ago, rdb85 said:

I told Lexus Bolton that their car was overpriced, and would then consider a sensible offer. They said 

I wished them the best of luck, feel sorry really for whoever buys it. 

I doubt it at that price - especially looking at the state of those wheels.

Im sure they've done a refurb on the outers but it looks like its done low mileage over its life but also never been washed or cleaned

Guest rdb85
3 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I doubt it at that price - especially looking at the state of those wheels.

Im sure they've done a refurb on the outers but it looks like its done low mileage over its life but also never been washed or cleaned

They will still have it in a few months I think. If it had done less than 30k you could potentially say that its worth it, but at the price, they want you could add more to it and buy a top spec GS mk4. I am planning to go and see the silver 08 plate in Bury, with my Dad, so he can get a feel for the car.

1 hour ago, rdb85 said:

They will still have it in a few months I think. If it had done less than 30k you could potentially say that its worth it, but at the price, they want you could add more to it and buy a top spec GS mk4. I am planning to go and see the silver 08 plate in Bury, with my Dad, so he can get a feel for the car.

Sounds like a good plan - keep us posted and be sure to just check it over with a clear mind taking as long as necessary