Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Took advantage of a bit of fine weather on Sunday afternoon to check my brake pads. I'd purchased some Pagid sets from ECP last August as they were so ludicrously cheap.

Last checked them in Oct and figured then it would be round about now when they'd need doing. Sure enough, all down to their last 4-6mm.

Took about 2½hrs from start to finish. Jacked up one wheel at a time, chocked front and back on the other side and just worked my way around the car.

Found it useful to have:-

An old plastic syringe ... to draw some brake fluid from the master cylinder as the new pads would raise the oil level.

Copper grease for the shims. There were 2 shims on each pad and I chose to clean and re-use those along with a slip of Copper Grease. Strangely the pagid boxes only had shims(4) for the rear pads.

Caliper grease ... best to give the slide pins the once over while there! They were all fine!

A 8" G Clamp and a piece of 2x1 about 4" long. To press the brake piston back so you can get the caliper back together over the now much fatter pad pack!

The only part I needed to use from the old pads was one spring clip on each front pad. These lock into the caliper housing when fitting the pad.

A decent pair of vinyl work-shop gloves.

Solvent/rag/wirewool for cleaning various parts.

My copies of Noobies descriptives for doing pads and slide pins. Always good to refer to.

Couple of sharp tests on the drive and then a run around town. All working beautifully.

For what its worth the Pagid pads are just fine and despite what some others said they are silent thus far. 

Brake dust? Well that'll be observed over time. The last Toyota set were quite dusty...particularly on the front wheels.

Someone commented recently about not being able to withdraw the rear pad guide pins. I'm wondering if they had removed the locking spring that fits between the pins and locates through a hole in each pin. I cant see how the pins would be immovable....unless maybe this spring was in place. You only need to wiggle the pins and they readily withdraw with a pair of pliers. Then you can withdraw the second spring which has loops to accommodate the guide pins at each side.

• Like 2

Hi Normski

Having done my rear brake pads last week, I found because car sits so low the hardest bit was jacking up from rear diff and getting supports under each side. I notice you done one wheel at a time, did you work straight off jack ( I know this is frowned upon ) however I'm interested for future jobs, as slide pins will have to be inspected on a regular basis.  

Yes I worked straight off the jack. Car was on level ground, front and rear wheels chocked.

Hi mate, are the rear disc vented or non vented on the 250. I have a 2011 plate. Also those Bosch aero twin wiper blades work brilliant. The asymmetric 3 tyres are also superb. [emoji1305]

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Hi the brembo pads seem fine ; I fitted as set to the front and rear about 7000 miles ago excellent performance with no squeal . I bought mine on offer from ECP ,keep an eye out ,they regularly have discount offers

Dave

Im using pagid discs with ferrodo pads on my 430  - they perform just like the originals - good bite smooth and quite braking with no dust.

I normally also work off the factory jack but as a back up I put the wheel under the car aswell just incase.

• Like 1

Hi the Brembo pads seem fine ; I fitted as set to the front and rear about 7000 miles ago excellent performance with no squeal . I bought mine on offer from ECP ,keep an eye out ,they regularly have discount offers
Dave

Cheers mate [emoji1305]

Im using pagid discs with ferrodo pads on my 430  - they perform just like the originals - good bite smooth and quite braking with no dust.
I normally also work off the factory jack but as a back up I put the wheel under the car aswell just incase.

Thanks a lot [emoji1303]

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links