Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rcf vs m4 5th gear

This shows you just how good the rcf really is. 200kg more and not carbon ceramic brakes... if Lexus had made it even 100kg lighter it would be even more competitive.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Warrington guy said:

Flytvr . I don’t think there’s much between any of the fs and a m4 . We might get a better idea at the weekend tho 😜😜😜

You going out hunting down "F" cars Dave...........................:whistling:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Warrington guy said:

Flytvr . I don’t think there’s much between any of the fs and a m4 . We might get a better idea at the weekend tho 😜😜😜

Out on Pistonheads meet Dave? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stuno1 said:

if Lexus had made it even 100kg lighter it would be even more competitive.

Here we had a 60k car versus a 72k car plus the Lexus is subjected to a 10% EU import tarrif. So really a 54k car?

To save 100kg it might not have been able to be a V8 or might have had to have a special chassis built (more expensive?) 5k carbon pack only saves 10kg.

Personally I think the linear power delivery and extra weight make it a much easier to live with road car and accept it's not quite as good as an M4 on a dry track due to that weight.

Wet track however:  

I tested that theory in my third lapping session of the day. The track started off dry but the rain came pretty quickly about 10 minutes in. I was dicing with an instructor-caliber driver in a new-generation M4. As long as the track was dry, I couldn't close the gap, but the minute it was even the slightest bit shiny I saw that back end start wobbling every time he passed the apex. I started making up one car length per turn on the way out and before I knew it he was a small dot in the mirror. That's something the stat sheet can't tell you: Can you trust your throttle application on a wet surface? 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/reviews/a29316/lexus-rc-f-test/

Also I have no intention of taking it on track. Good to watch it pushed by a proper driver though.

Indeed. Weight is worth it for the v8. It just shows how bias many reviews are. Reminded me of when the isf first came out and everyone complained about the fake exhaust tips and 8 gears. Look at cars now. It only got the praise it deserved in the articles speaking about it going out of production. 

Also wathcing more reviews the rcf gets some great reviews with folk surprised how close it is to its rivals on track and how easy it is to drive fast. But some state it has bags of indersteer and is unpredictable. Very odd. 

The carbon pack is also a must for me as it really adds to the drama of the car. The weight saving is trivial it’s morw the looks I like. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

But some state it has bags of indersteer and is unpredictable. Very odd. 

The carbon pack is also a must for me as it really adds to the drama of the car. 

I have a bike that wasn't well received at launch and didn't sell well due to it's looks and size. It's now rising in value and is considered much more highly. 

I think the unpredictability is due to the TVD - the drivers get 20 minutes maybe and don't have time to understand it and find the right settings and learn how it behaves. It will find grip and drive the outside wheel in a way people are just not used to. It's more effective but less natural? I'm no expert driver, just how I interpret what I read.

Carbon works well on some colours but you need to be aware of the downsides so you can maintain it. 

21 minutes ago, Comedian said:

I have a bike that wasn't well received at launch and didn't sell well due to it's looks and size. It's now rising in value and is considered much more highly. 

I think the unpredictability is due to the TVD - the drivers get 20 minutes maybe and don't have time to understand it and find the right settings and learn how it behaves. It will find grip and drive the outside wheel in a way people are just not used to. It's more effective but less natural? I'm no expert driver, just how I interpret what I read.

Carbon works well on some colours but you need to be aware of the downsides so you can maintain it. 

Down sides of maintenance of carbon fibre? Not like paint? Maybe additional uv protection on products to prevent limit fade? 

A few performance figures from the Australian PDrive You Tube site:

0-60kmh/0-100kmh (62mph)/Standing 1/4 (sec)

RCF  2.65/5.04/13.20

GSF 2.63/5.08/13.24

LC500h 2.97/5.56/14.03

LC500 2.74/5.12/13.45

M4 Competition 2.80/4.71/12.84

F Type 400 Sport (V6) 2.69/4.96/13.25

F Type SVR (V8) 2.06/3.82/11.90

McLaren 570S Spyder 1.93/3.25/10.99

• Like 2

Yes UV protection (Lexus applied stuff should last a few years) and stone chips needs immediate attention. You don't want water getting into the fibres. Ideally needs garaging and even the Lexus manual says "Don't leave exposed" you know - like they do on the Lexus forecourts. 

21 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Not bothered about the rather paltry weight saving? Then go for the cheaper carbon fibre wrap, none of the downsides and cheap to replace/redo

Doesn’t look as good though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Comedian said:

Yes UV protection (Lexus applied stuff should last a few years) and stone chips needs immediate attention. You don't want water getting into the fibres. Ideally needs garaging and even the Lexus manual says "Don't leave exposed" you know - like they do on the Lexus forecourts. 

Would a clear wrap on bonnet and roof solve both issues - stone protection and UV protection?

• Like 1

Yes should do but you would have to check with the maker on UV protection and on lifespan.

UV fades paint but delams carbon. One problem is harder to fix than the other and prevention is better than cure.

A lot of car waxes and sealants have UV protection in and we apply those every 4 months if we look after our cars. But won't protect against stones.

Not as much as replacing the carbon.

I don't think it will be covered on extended warranty. Check carefully.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Stuno1 said:

Indeed. Weight is worth it for the v8. It just shows how bias many reviews are. Reminded me of when the isf first came out and everyone complained about the fake exhaust tips and 8 gears. Look at cars now. It only got the praise it deserved in the articles speaking about it going out of production. 

Also wathcing more reviews the rcf gets some great reviews with folk surprised how close it is to its rivals on track and how easy it is to drive fast. But some state it has bags of indersteer and is unpredictable. Very odd. 

The carbon pack is also a must for me as it really adds to the drama of the car. The weight saving is trivial it’s morw the looks I like. 

I only considered a Carbon edition.

The Carbon is gorgeous. Mine has been NGenco’d.

Just now, Stuno1 said:

@Flytvr do you maintain it any differently from paint? I have resided myself to applying ppf to it to be honest. 

No difference apart from the fact it pretty much looks after itself and requires little cleaning. 

I looked at PPF, but I wanted a 100% invisible finish.

Even if I had a standard RCF, I would consider bonnet protection. If you can afford a £40k, pretty much a no brainier!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links