Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MoT tests from May 20th 2018

Just thought it might be useful to post some definitive details about the changes to MoT tests from Sunday May 20th 2018. There are quite a few changes to the pass/fail/advisory system which is being comprehensively revised and in particular is introducing a 'Dangerous' category which means you can't drive a vehicle which has received a dangerous warning - previously if a car had a valid (old) Mot you could drive it home - now it seems you can't (legally). Too many changes to list so see here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-changes-from-may-2018-guidance-for-mot-testers/overview-of-mot-changes-from-may-2018

Then there are the new items which will be tested. Not all apply to cars (as opposed to vans, pick-ups etc) and some only apply to newer cars, but here's the list. See the link above and pages referenced from there for more details. (Incidentally, for IS220d owners, note 'EGR' and 'DPF tampering'!)

• brake fluid contamination
  • additional braking device performance
  • daytime running lamps
  • front fog lamps
  • reversing lamps
  • bumpers
  • prop shafts
  • all rear drive shafts
  • cab security
  • cab steps
  • floors
  • passenger hand grips (quads and heavy trikes only)
  • noise suppression material
  • undertray security
  • emission control equipment:
    • oxygen sensor
    • NOx sensor
    • exhaust gas recirculation valve
    • other emission control equipment
  • engine malfunction indicator lamp
  • diesel particulate filter (DPF) tampering
  • fluid leaks - engine, transmission and so on

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, johnatg said:

previously if a car had a valid (old) Mot you could drive it home - now it seems you can't (legally)

Pretty sure under the current system, if the car failed the test and was  not roadworthy  you couldn't drive it away, legally. Does this mean under the new system the test centre can prevent you from removing the vehicle other than on a trailer?

See here:

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

It's a bit ambiguous.

After May 20th - I don't think they can actually prevent you from driving away, but there may be more consequences if you were stopped by the police on the way home (or back to the test place, come to that)

I got a note saying 'dangerous' once - I had made a bungled attempt to adjust the parking brake soon after getting the car and it wasn't working on one side. (Is that actually 'dangerous' on an automatic?) - I had no issues with driving it home, fixing it and driving it back for the pass! But I suppose that might not have been strictly legal.

44 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Pretty sure under the current system, if the car failed the test and was  not roadworthy  you couldn't drive it away, legally. Does this mean under the new system the test centre can prevent you from removing the vehicle other than on a trailer?

Currently, you can only drive it to and from the pre-arranged appointment. Going forward you would have to leave your car in MOT center or I guess tow it back.

In one way I like that, especially hardened stance on DPF's and other pollution controlling equipment, in other hand it sorts of puts you in very disadvantaged position, because MOT garage can now ask you astronomical money to repair as you effectively loose the freedom to use cheaper garage. So basically if they going to say you have "defective tire"  they can charge you £200 for replacement even if you can effectively get tire replaced for £80 just around the corner.

One other thing which is not mentioned is fines were significantly increased for "not road worthy" and "dangerous cars". Meaning that even putting Mot matter aside now you can be charged for up-to £1000+3 points for "not worthy" and up-to £2500+6 points for "dangerous" car... at any time throughout the year. This is welcome from my perspective as it makes "beaters" much less attractive. 

20 minutes ago, johnatg said:

See here:

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

It's a bit ambiguous.

After May 20th - I don't think they can actually prevent you from driving away, but there may be more consequences if you were stopped by the police on the way home (or back to the test place, come to that)

I got a note saying 'dangerous' once - I had made a bungled attempt to adjust the parking brake soon after getting the car and it wasn't working on one side. (Is that actually 'dangerous' on an automatic?) - I had no issues with driving it home, fixing it and driving it back for the pass! But I suppose that might not have been strictly legal.

Pretty clear TBH -

"In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined."

If the Police stop you and are so inclined, you're going to be done.

The big debate has always been if you fail the test but still have a couple of weeks on the 'old' certificate will the APNR ping the car as a fail?

Police won't fine you for invalid MOT - they would need to prove your car is "not road worthy". That means something obvious should be wrong e.g. tires. As well even if your MOT was expired you could legally drive to and from pre-arranged appointment - which in my understanding will no longer be the case.

APNR previously wouldn't have spot you as in database your car would have been considered road MOT'ed until last day even if you have failed attempt prior. Now it seems failed attempt with "dangerous" deficiency will invalidate your MOT, so potentially you can be picked-up on APNR.

5 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Police won't fine you for invalid MOT - they would need to prove your car is "not road worthy"

No MoT certificate would result in a £1000 fine.

You could be further penalised if the vehicle is also found to be not road worthy.

Two separate offences 

7 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

APNR previously wouldn't have spot you as in database your car would have been considered road MOT'ed until last day even if you have failed attempt prior

The current system updates as soon as the tester inputs the results into the national database at the end of the test, when the fail is printed out. The question seems to be is does the fail cancel the previous (and still current) certificate?

That is what is tread is about - no currently it doesn't cancel previous MOT cert. Going forward if you have "dangerous" deficiency - it will. That is one of the biggest changes with new system..

And again it seems you have difficulty reading - currently if you going to or from pre-arranged appointment without MOT Police cannot fine you! That will not be the case going forward.

Whilst the extra checks make sense - the new classifications are utter horse crap

What does dangerous even mean? 

Classic case of fixing something that isn't broken

In my eyes, its either a pass or a fail, anything else doesn't really matter. Can see a lot of MOT testers just giving everything an Advisory or a Minor to allow people to take the car on the road unless its really bad. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

And again it seems you have difficulty reading - currently if you going to or from pre-arranged appointment without MOT Police cannot fine you!

I have no difficulty in reading, thank you.. I was responding to your statement - 

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Police won't fine you for invalid MOT - they would need to prove your car is "not road worthy

I fully understand the regs regarding pre-arranged appointments, which one would have to be able to prove to the constable to avoid a fine. The Police would not need to prove the car is not road worthy, just that one doesn't have a valid certificate. As I said two separate offences.

26 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Whilst the extra checks make sense - the new classifications are utter horse crap

What does dangerous even mean? 

Classic case of fixing something that isn't broken

In my eyes, its either a pass or a fail, anything else doesn't really matter. Can see a lot of MOT testers just giving everything an Advisory or a Minor to allow people to take the car on the road unless its really bad. 

Agreed, needs clarification as to what would constitute "dangerous"

How are they going to test for Brake fluid contamination?

A lot of cars these days need more than simply undoing a screw cap as the reserviours are hidden under plastic covers.
I guess another round of advisories like the under body ones which often get mentioned.

Also if your brake fluid is a bit off colour shall we say, the unscrupulous could just syphon out the discoloured fluid from the resivour and top up with new, this will have the appearance of good fluid in the system but 99% of the fluid that is going to be doing the work will be the old stuff!

paul m.

Good point... visual inspection of brake fluid makes no sense. I know there are dedicated brake fluid tests, where they show water and dirt content in the fluid etc. and I was expecting them to do it, but this visual thing appears to be quite stupid idea.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BERGEN-Brake-Tester-Moisture-Indicator/dp/B013JYASVE

They shouldn't be removing the cap though, that exposes the fluid to air/moisture which compromises it. Checking the level, making sure it isn't black or rusty plus the standard brake system checks is enough. There has to be a compromise between checks, time and cost.

Ever since replacing a faulty alternator 2 years ago my Battery warning light stays on, it does go off sometimes for 10-15 seconds but then comes on again, but the car drives absolutely fine. This previously wasn't an MOT failure, does anyone know if it will be under the upcoming new rules?

1 hour ago, juicestop said:

Ever since replacing a faulty alternator 2 years ago my battery warning light stays on, it does go off sometimes for 10-15 seconds but then comes on again, but the car drives absolutely fine. This previously wasn't an MOT failure, does anyone know if it will be under the upcoming new rules?

Probably stupid question, but did your Battery temp. sensor is connected/working. Seems like fault should be quite easy to diagnose with simple error code somewhere - it would drive me mental after few days driving with Battery light.

• Like 1

Hi Linas - so this sensor is the little bobbly thing that attaches to the side of the plastic Battery cover? If so then I left the cover off as I also replaced the Battery. So refitting this and putting the sensor back should fix the Battery warning light issue? If so I'll put it back on - if it fits a Bosch S4 Battery.

When fitting a Bosch S4 026 into a IS250 ( it does fit contrary to all the parts seller sites saying it doesn't ) the black plastic shroud with the Battery temp sensor probe fitted on one side is let's say a 'snug! Fit but like I said it does go and if you have not refitted this sensor then it prob could be the reason for your Battery charge warning light showing. 

When charging a Lead/Acid wet Battery the ambient temperature has a large bearing on what the rate of charge should be. Most cars have a basic charging system that will be a compromise on this temperature requirement but if ( and I expect it has) the Lexus has got a 'smart' charging system then this temp probe will be critical in relation to the battery/charging system.

As for the MOT aspect then I can't find any mention of Battery charge warning light anywhere!

paul m.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, juicestop said:

Hi Linas - so this sensor is the little bobbly thing that attaches to the side of the plastic battery cover? If so then I left the cover off as I also replaced the battery. So refitting this and putting the sensor back should fix the battery warning light issue? If so I'll put it back on - if it fits a Bosch S4 battery.

There might be something else, but that first thing which came to my mind as likely reason, considering you don't have any other issue. It would be easy to diagnose as I said - it would show error via ODB2 along the lines - Battery sensor fault.

The only thing which I believe is checked during the mot is that Battery is firmly held in place. Funny thing - that is the only thing missing in my car, I need to fit the Battery clamp... but it is a bit awkward and I never find time to put it on. My S4 026 fitted with the plastic cover and sensor, so I am certain it should fit.