Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Quick question:

I'm going away on Sunday for up to three months. My LS 400 under these circumstances would gradually drain the Battery until a low-voltage signal set the alarm off - which kept going until Battery completely drained (and neighbours uppity!). I solved this on subsequent occasions by disconnecting the Battery. No problems.

My GS450h will suffer the same fate, so I called Lexus to enquire whether it was "safe" to disconnect the 12v Battery for the duration. After a couple of attempts to get them to understand the situation, their immediate response was "It will invalidate your insurance, because the alarm won't work" !!! After a few more attempts, they said it "should not pose any electro-mechanical problems".

Does anyone have any insight into this? What would you do?

Can you leave a solar trickle charger connected? I've seen this suggested on one of the forums here.

Look up "solar charger for car batteries" on amazon. Couple of hits at the top are Prime so you would get it on Saturday.

John

13 minutes ago, OldTrout said:

Can you leave a solar trickle charger connected? I've seen this suggested on one of the forums here.

Look up "solar charger for car batteries" on Amazon. Couple of hits at the top are Prime so you would get it on Saturday.

John

I do this each time I go away. Do a search for my posts re use of solar powered charger.

Strangely enough I went to my garage this morning to check my GS450h as I hadn't used it for about six weeks. I tried to open the door but it wouldn't unlock, it seemed totally dead. I withdrew the key from the fob but before using it, I pressed the unlock button and to my surprise it unlocked. The interior lights came on and the car started no problem.

I ran the engine until the hybrid system stopped it and now everything works as it should. I really can't explain why the keyless entry didn't work, when the button on the fob worked OK but all's well that ends well.

Six weeks is probably the limit, I wouldn't want to leave it three months. Still better than my BMW, I couldn't leave that for six days.

• Thanks 1

I think that if one doesn't use the car for an extended period the entry system goes into power saving mode. The first press woke it up, the second unlocked as normal?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the solar charger suggestions - I've probably run out of time now, but how would you connect the charger to the Battery - 12v sockets are generally only active when "ACC" or "IGN" on - I don't think I can arrange that while I'm away? I don't have time this time to run the wires from the charger to the 12v Battery, but I'll consider it for next trip.

I wonder what would happen if I just left it? Would it actually trigger the alarm on low voltage as my LS would?

Sandro,

The charger on Amazon  https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Solar-Powered-Car-Battery-Charger/dp/B00AC1LLQY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523038911&sr=8-3&keywords=solar+battery+charger+car connects to the Battery either by croc clips or by a plug into the OBD port (just under the steering column). This latter connection is easy and the charger could then lay under the front window. The cables look as if they are long enough for panel to sit on rear shelf if that would be better. Have you got somebody who could do this whilst you are away?

There maybe somebody in LOC near you who could do it. (I'm too far away or I would.)

John

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OldTrout said:

Sandro,

The charger on Amazon  https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Solar-Powered-Car-Battery-Charger/dp/B00AC1LLQY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523038911&sr=8-3&keywords=solar+battery+charger+car connects to the battery either by croc clips or by a plug into the OBD port (just under the steering column). This latter connection is easy and the charger could then lay under the front window. The cables look as if they are long enough for panel to sit on rear shelf if that would be better. Have you got somebody who could do this whilst you are away?

There maybe somebody in LOC near you who could do it. (I'm too far away or I would.)

John

That would do the job perfectly (though the spec doesn't mention what output it is capable of)

On this occasion, I'll disconnect the 12v Battery. Keys will be safely locked away, so would need a low-loader to extricate it!

Of course, when I get back, I'll have time to sort out a more "professional" solution - yeah, right: I didn't do it the last three trips, what are the chances I'll find one of those elusive "Round Tuits"?

Again, thanks all.

7 hours ago, Z28DUNC said:

What about the hybrid battery? How long does that take to drain? I'd be more worried about that than the normal 12V battery.

It should be good for six months.

I would make sure it has as high a charge as you can manage but this doesn't really matter as the Battery has a lot more capacity than what is shown to the driver on the hybrid charge indicator.