Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello and intro and info required.

I have just bought a 2006 lexus IS 220D off eBay with nearly 175k and it drives great on my 20 minute test drive and I had read all about it's issues like head gasket failure, notchy gear change and EGR problems and I have to say it's a nice smooth car to drive. Has lexus history to 50k then service receipts every year from independent garage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS-220D-NO-RESERVE-1-DAY-AUCTION-/263583553110?hash=item3d5ecdd656%3Ag%3AcokAAOSwIjVavqsN&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=MGetKWqQe6JEmACpMuyejdaJPtk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'm an old Volvo fan and own a 1989 240GLT auto estate. 2316CC Petrol, now on 238,000 miles. Just over a year ago also bought a 1996 Volvo 940 SE turbo, petrol auto estate. Now on nearly 194,000miles. It's really comfy and has most mod cons. AC, electric windows, electric and heated mirrors, ABS, Drivers airbag, electric glass sunroof, heated seats, half leather, power steering and lots of space for my self employment! I paid £250 for it and have spent 1k on bringing it up from an unloved condition and getting the AC working.

With the lexus I have it has a space saver spare wheel in the boot that's flat. Is this standard equipment or can you fit a full size spare wheel? IF so what size would fit and has anyone got a used one for a 2006 220D? Tomorrow I'll look up the wheel/tyre size.

Does the 220D have a cambelt or is it chain driven?

The Lexus is lovely and smooth and even the diesel engine isn't that noisy. I like the cream cloth interior with the black.

James:smile:

Good luck with your new purchase!.

Probably should put first 2 words in italic... Not because I am not genuinely wishing it, but because these cars are not known for being very lucky... 

I was about to say it is chain ... but realised that I actually don't know - IS250 petrol is chain, I assume IS220d is chain as well, but I let diesel gurus to confirm.

Full size spare would not fit under cover, but as your car have 16" rims, the full size rim should fit if you remove the plastic cover and only put the carpet on top.

There are quite few such rims on eBay already with tires for ~£60.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-2013-LEXUS-IS220-Is250-SPARE-ALLOY-RIM-WHEEL-WITH-205-55-16-tyre-3mm-R16/183119564573?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus&hash=item2aa2c6cf1d:g:~zEAAOSwWiBY-76~

For this particular one, I would not pay more then £40 - tire just holds the air and rim itself needs refurb (but probably better then space saver). I seen entire set with decent tires going for £100.

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:30 PM, Linas.P said:

Good luck with your new purchase!.

Probably should put first 2 words in italic... Not because I am not genuinely wishing it, but because these cars are not known for being very lucky... 

I was about to say it is chain ... but realised that I actually don't know - IS250 petrol is chain, I assume IS220d is chain as well, but I let diesel gurus to confirm.

Full size spare would not fit under cover, but as your car have 16" rims, the full size rim should fit if you remove the plastic cover and only put the carpet on top.

There are quite few such rims on eBay already with tires for ~£60.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-2013-LEXUS-IS220-Is250-SPARE-ALLOY-RIM-WHEEL-WITH-205-55-16-tyre-3mm-R16/183119564573?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus&hash=item2aa2c6cf1d:g:~zEAAOSwWiBY-76~

For this particular one, I would not pay more then £40 - tire just holds the air and rim itself needs refurb (but probably better then space saver). I seen entire set with decent tires going for £100.

13 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Welcome James :smile:

The 220d engine is chain driven.

11 hours ago, normski2 said:

+1 to that. Definitely chain driven. I had a220d a while back.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but in Birmingham visiting family.

Thanks for the link and info:thumbsup:. I'll look at eBay etc as way prefer a full size spare.

Good that it's chain driven as better than cambelt. Does the chain ever need any maintenance?

The fob does not open the boot? Must try both fobs as Battery may be duff on one fob. If not common issues?

Next job getting it insured and taxed.

James:smile: 

The fob does not open the boot? Must try both fobs as battery may be duff on one fob. If not common issues?
Next job getting it insured and taxed.
James[emoji2] 

The fob should indeed open the boot, but it only pops the lock and opens up a few millimetres, if that.
Welcome to the LOC [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Thank You:smile:

I'll check the fobs out tomorrow.

Thanks. James

The fob should indeed open the boot, but it only pops the lock and opens up a few millimetres, if that.
Welcome to the LOC emoji4.png

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Think there is a Boot lock button in the glove box?

If there is, the button may have been pressed accidentally. From memory you cannot open the boot with the fob if the button has been pressed.

• Thanks 1

Known as the 'Valet' button. It is so that when you give the valet parking guy your keyfob ( with key blade removed) they can open/start/drive and lock the car but cannot get access into boot area if you so wish by locking the glovebox with the key blade.

paul m.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, normski2 said:

Think there is a Boot lock button in the glove box?

If there is, the button may have been pressed accidentally. From memory you cannot open the boot with the fob if the button has been pressed.

I have tried the fobs and doesn't open the boot, so I'll take a look in the glovebox! Spent the afternoon on phone and internet, now insured under a Multicar policy. Taxing in the morning.

Thanks. James:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone, very useful:thumbsup:

Thanks for the links to the alloy wheels, plan to have a measure up. The car has 3 very good, goodyear efficient grip tyres and one worn Michelin energy saver. I may bin the worn Michelin, use the other goodyear as the spare and buy a new set of Michelin energy savers for the front.

Found that tyre noise was quite high, depending on road surface. What tyres work well on the IS? On my Volvos love Michelin.

Found 2 minor faults today, the ECC blows cool, not cold so going to try a regas. How much gas does it take? The boot release definitely doesn't work remotely even after trying the button in the glovebox. A minor thing as just use the button inside to open.

Did 100 miles in the car today and love it! Used less than a quarter of a tank of diesel to do the 100 miles, ie 3/4 of a quarter.  Mixed driving 60% dual carriageway the rest in Birmingham in evening/afternoon traffic.

How many miles to a tank do people average?

It's a very nice car and well equipped, feels luxurious. I liked the lights under the wing mirrors for approach lighting and footwell lighting. I also liked the warning orange light if doing over 70mph. Cruise control was nice on the way back home. You get a lot of car for £1500! Stereo is great.

Ride firmer than my soft Volvo suspension but expected that. Turbo lag, likes to be revved particularly in 1st and second. You pull away from lights etc then suddenly the turbo kicks in and your off! I think they should of offered an auto version to get the best out of the engine.

Tomorrow going to read the Lexus user manual and see if I have missed any items.

James:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Car is going well touch wood and like the cruise control. The MPG readout said I was averaging 46mpg (reset) on a run to Birmingham of 25 miles and 34 round Birmingham. I'll have to do a full tank test and see what mpg I'm getting. If I can average 40, not bad. As 1996 petrol 940 auto averages 25-30mpg.

I am going to try a re-gas for the ECC and see if that identifies a leak or it works. How much can it be charged to in grams? Ie how much R134a? Also where is the charging ports in the engine bay?

Also what oil is best used with the 220D? Semi or fully synthetic and type? Any good suppliers for filters and service parts?

Thanks James:thumbsup:

Welcome James,

That is a lot of car for £1475 :smile:

It must be one of the highest mileage ones on here as well.

For the air con, the manual states 430g +- 30g's.  Although you won't know how much you need unless you drain and measure what's already in there?

When it comes to service parts, I always go OEM from the dealer as they aren't much more expensive than aftermarket.  Having said that, getting my car serviced at the dealer doesn't leave me much choice :smile:  I have bought air, fuel and pollen filters from them previous though.

When I used to do a mix of motorway and A roads, the car would average around 37-38mpg.  Now that I am doing mainly town and A roads, it has dropped to 33-34mpg.  Perhaps related, I changed from Shell V-power to regular diesel as well, but I can't say for sure if this has had an effect or not.

Regarding tyres, I have found that the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2's that were recently fitted do well with road noise.  I can't really compare them to any other tyres brands though since my car has only ever had Dunlops during my ownership time.

Lastly, pictures are always encouraged on here :smile: I, for one, would also like to see these Volvo's you mention.

9 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

For the air con, the manual states 430g +- 30g's.  Although you won't know how much you need unless you drain and measure what's already in there?

Isn't that the way you need to do it anyway? I mean when I have AC service they always do "recovery" first before recharging. Other thing - you should add lubricant as well, not only coolant.

Yep, although it is possible to just 'top it up' and see what happens.

Good point regarding the lubricant, but the cans I have seen appear to have the oil mixed in the refrigerant (how good the actual mix is remains to be seen).

Ideally, a uv dye test should be done to see if there are any leaks.  Although, at the age of James' car, it is potentially just normal leakage that is the reason for the lack of cooling.

9 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Standard oil 5w30 C2 fully-synthetic. 

Thanks. Plan to do an oil and filter change as last done 1 year ago and 5,000 miles.

8 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Welcome James,

That is a lot of car for £1475 :smile:

It must be one of the highest mileage ones on here as well.

When it comes to service parts, I always go OEM from the dealer as they aren't much more expensive than aftermarket.  Having said that, getting my car serviced at the dealer doesn't leave me much choice :smile:  I have bought air, fuel and pollen filters from them previous though.

When I used to do a mix of motorway and A roads, the car would average around 37-38mpg.  Now that I am doing mainly town and A roads, it has dropped to 33-34mpg.  Perhaps related, I changed from Shell V-power to regular diesel as well, but I can't say for sure if this has had an effect or not.

Regarding tyres, I have found that the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2's that were recently fitted do well with road noise.  I can't really compare them to any other tyres brands though since my car has only ever had Dunlops during my ownership time.

Lastly, pictures are always encouraged on here :smile: I, for one, would also like to see these Volvo's you mention.

I'm very pleased with it for the money and it's nice to drive, smooth and quiet. I'll be happy if I get the MPG you get. Plan to try re-gassing the AC and need to know how much gas it needs as when I took my 940 in the garage didn't know how much it needed to fill the AC system. My 940 takes 950g.

I have to say I always buy Volvo genuine spares as seem to last. Track rod ends etc. There is a Volvo dealer FRF who give you trade prices. Would I buy spares through Toyota? Need an oil filter. Thanks for the tyre advice. I'll bear it in mind for replacements in the future as have around 4-5mm

Haven't got any recent pictures of my Volvo's but I'll upload a few.

7 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Isn't that the way you need to do it anyway? I mean when I have AC service they always do "recovery" first before recharging. Other thing - you should add lubricant as well, not only coolant.

On my Volvo 940 I had to change the condenser and air con compressor as leaking. I got lucky on eBay for a used compressor £35 and bought a new nissens condenser for £65. I added some PAG oil to lubricate the compressor etc. Hoping the Lexus AC system isn't empty and still retains the oil lubricant. I'll ask the garage. 

7 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Yep, although it is possible to just 'top it up' and see what happens.

Good point regarding the lubricant, but the cans I have seen appear to have the oil mixed in the refrigerant (how good the actual mix is remains to be seen).

Ideally, a uv dye test should be done to see if there are any leaks.  Although, at the age of James' car, it is potentially just normal leakage that is the reason for the lack of cooling.

Are lexus AC systems generally leak free, hoping just natural leakage.

The Volvo 940 I have owned for 16 months and it's been great.  A few more cosmetic tiding jobs needed but a good workhorse for my self employment.

You can just see the 1989 240 and owned that for 9 years. Paid £350 and it's been great. It had 159,410 miles when bought and now on 238,000 miles, both 2.316cc petrol. 1996 940 auto on 194,000miles and 2316cc also but low pressure turbo (B230FK) and 240 is the B230E  K jet bosch mechanical fuel injection. Was my daily driver then the 940. Both great cars.

Plan to sell either the new Lexus if terminal trouble in 6 months or the 240 GLT auto as not getting used much and needs a bit of TLC on the bodywork.

The lexus is the most comfortable and interior fit out is excellent and no real wear on seats, just needs a light valet in and out. Next plan! Ordered some tailored car mats for it on eBay and a full size spare alloy. It's a safe car with 10 airbags. Nice idea the knee airbags. Is any service required as 12 years old? On my Volvo 940 Volvo say no issues so long as no airbag light on. On the Volvo only a drivers airbag and ABS. Late 1998 940 had drivers and passenger and side airbags in the seat side.

Thanks. James:thumbsup:

volvo 940 1.jpg

volvo 940 2.jpg

Lex1.jpg

Lex2.jpg

Lex3.jpg

Lex4.jpg

Lexus all cleaned and got an aircon diagnostic.

No leaks I'm glad to say, and now very cold! Took just under an hour and paid £45.00.

I'm very pleased with the car and now ready for summer.

In a few weeks I'll give it a service.

James:thumbsup: