Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hopefully stop the thieving B******S

Hi all.:yes:

After reading about the car stealing racket that is going on now have decided to get one off theses https://www.fonefunshop.com/car-keyless-entry-fob-signal-blocker-genuine-faraday-bag-block-theft.html other members have seen them on amazon but found them on the above website so have ordered 2 off them thought long and hard about this and decided why not anything to stop the thieving B******s taking or trying to take my pride and joy:wink3:

I was reading in the daily paper that  someone recommended a Ghost immobiliser system sounds good https://autowatch.co.uk alas it does not cover the early Lexus cars the is range is from 2014 and GS range from 2012 sounded like a good idea but alas not for any off the is250 cars or the isF cars:sad:.

Looks like the steering lock that yellow thing will be dusted off when i go away or park in places aim not used too.:huh:

65mike:smile:

Note: i have no interests in either mentioned above companies just seen them on the web and passed the info on.:mellow:

1 hour ago, 65mike said:

Looks like the steering lock that yellow thing will be dusted off when i go away or park in places aim not used too

I must admit I still use the steering lock - my justification for this is that it will hinder the thief (they will probably manage to remove it anyway) but it will not make it easy and during this time I presume the alarm will be going off so it will raise awareness....

• Like 1

The owners of IS mk2 no need to worry, ordinary Lexus are least popular cars for thieves (maybe IS, RC, GS-F on order) furthermore mk2 is now old and low value as well. Somehow cannot imagine any thieve being interested and risking for such car.

33 minutes ago, jumbojake said:

I've just got a small biscuit tin in a draw.. .put my keys in that, does the same job.

I think you'll find that it doesn't. My understanding is that a Faraday Cage is made up of an interlocking mesh rather than sheet metal, but I may be wrong on that. Anyway, here's someone who has tried it and found that a tin doesn't work. In the same situation, my Faraday pouch stops the key being 'seen' by the car:

• Like 1

On 09/04/2018 at 5:00 PM, Stuno1 said:

Madness. Is this because they somehow get the car code from the fob?

Sort of.

In 'Keyless Entry/Smart Start' cars, rather than having to press a button on the fob to unlock the doors, the fob constantly transmits a signal. Even at, say, 3am when you're all tucked up in bed fast asleep, the fob is still transmitting its signal. The bad guys have a very sensitive receiver so that they can stand next to your front door and pick up that signal, which they then relay to the car. The car detects the signal and flags 'Key present' to the security systems and other ECUs, so it behaves exactly as if the key was there in the car and it can be driven away - and it'll keep going, perhaps for hundreds of miles if there's enough fuel, until they turn off the engine, at which time the car will flag 'Key not present' when they try to restart it again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sorcerer said:

I think you'll find that it doesn't. My understanding is that a Faraday Cage is made up of an interlocking mesh rather than sheet metal, but I may be wrong on that. Anyway, here's someone who has tried it and found that a tin doesn't work. In the same situation, my Faraday Pouch stops the key being 'seen' by the car:

Curious!

I just did a quick experiment.

1. Heavy steel cash box, loosely closed lid - car unlocks as normal.

2. Light tin box tightly closed - car unlocks as normal.

3. Wrapped key fob in kitchen foil - car refused to unlock

4. Same box as in #2 but with kitchen foil loosely formed around the inside base and sides, lid as before with no foil - car refused to unlock

So the thin layer of foil blocks the transmission whereas the heavy steel and light gauge tin does not.  But just place a layer of foil in the bottom of the tin and no transmission.

• Like 1

Hi all:yes:

Well i got my Faraday pouch for the keys works fine 2 pockets one blocks signal so car cannot be opened and the other won you use to put keyfob in so you can open doors and start car simple as that.:wink3:

Must say i never wanted keyless entry used to using buttons on key fob prefer it that way and still do this about 95% off the time it's no effert to just push a key fob button to me.:whistling:

65mike.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 65mike said:

Hi all:yes:

Well i got my faraday pouch for the keys works fine 2 pockets one blocks signal so car cannot be opened and the other won you use to put keyfob in so you can open doors and start car simple as that.:wink3:

Must say i never wanted keyless entry used to using buttons on key fob prefer it that way and still do this about 95% off the time it's no effert to just push a key fob button to me.:whistling:

65mike.

What did you use, where bought from ..... any link

Hi all.:yes:

is200 newbie i used these people https://www.fonefunshop.com/car-keyless-entry-fob-signal-blocker-genuine-faraday-bag-block-theft.html?category_id=2887 ordered it on monday evening and got it wednesday morning it does exactly what it says well pleased with it.:yahoo:

Seem a good place and fast too.  ( i do not have anything to do with the above establishment just found them efficient and passed on my thoughts nothing more )

65mike:yahoo:

• 1 month later...

Meant to put these pics up a while back ... completely forgot. Must be an age thing!

I've found these pouches work really well. You do need to ensure you place the fob within the inner special fabric pocket.

If you don't it does not work ... that may be why some have said they found the pouch ineffective.

Picture 1.  Key  in full view to the car as usual                    

IMG_0458.thumb.JPG.bb6c85b90c1d98638f1bb492c998be71.JPG

Picture 2.  Key placed within inner compartment

IMG_0459.thumb.JPG.497883922b53b38493865c7858217a95.JPG

Picture 3.  First you see me ... now you don't!

IMG_0460.thumb.JPG.bab6cda886cd80cdec775e65596545ea.JPG

• Like 2

I have been using these for both our Lexus's for a while now and they work well,but don't forget to buy some for your spare keys as well or you are defeating the object.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all.:driving:

Up date to my original post:dontgetit: the pouch has given up the ghost packed up working, I had my keys in the pouch when i went to put rubbish out on Thursday morning and sore the light under the door mirror come on thought that's strange so put hand on door handle and door opened, must have put key in wrong compartment had a look no it's stopped protecting the key had 3 months and finished.:no:

Be aware these do not last for ever.:no:

65mike:driving:

• Like 1

Strange...can't see that there is anything that could 'wear out' so to speak and stop it from functioning!

paul m.

I had a similar experience but a bit of experimentation showed that I hadn't closed the pouch properly and I'm sure yours will be the same. Unless the mesh has been physically torn or damaged then it's impossible for it to just 'give up' working.

Although you can't see them, radio waves at this wavelength act like physical things and as long as the mesh bag isn't damaged then it still physically keeps the radio waves trapped in there.

Hi all:driving:

Tried all the things like making sure pouch was closed but reading reviews on Halfords site and amazon it does happen https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B076KZF645/ref=acr_search_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0

It seems they last a while and then just stop working.:mellow:

65mike:driving:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm no expert but I've seen videos on youtube with kill switches to fuel pump. Hidden anywhere inside the cab. The reason for the fuel pump is that you'd need the power for the alarms, keyless entry etc. 

Is there not a way to disable the key from transmitting? I heard hold the lock button and press unlock twice? Is there not a way to disable keyless entry? or disable the fob from transmitting?

21 minutes ago, jdanielca said:

Is there not a way to disable the key from transmitting? I heard hold the lock button and press unlock twice? Is there not a way to disable keyless entry? or disable the fob from transmitting?

Yes you can, not entirely sure how but it is in the manual