Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sub £35k RCF's selling quick?

On 3/15/2018 at 10:08 PM, ColinBarber said:

I've overlaid the two as best I can, there is a slight difference in the two graphs so it gets one or two pixels out in places on the scale.

Red is the the 2018 engine with the GPF cats replacing the two pre-cats. Black is the older engine with standard pre-cats.

5aaaeec7a5d7d_RCpowercurve.jpg.4ea82ab85590682c6e298d10a94ca171.jpg

Yep - that looks terrible. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAW said:

Have to say it surprises me as well.

I thought their biggest market was the US who expect their V8’s to come with epic noise as standard & a lot of the US “F” cars also end up with after market exhausts as well.

Can’t help thinking Lexus deliberately designed the exhaust to be quiet/refined  and is a Japanese preference for some reason.

Doesn't the V8 LC500 have a louder exhaust?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Btw that stale RC-F from Hatfields just disappeared yesterday, I don't know if it traded to another dealership or sold. If sold I reckon it was offer in ~£30k range, because that car was sitting on £34k for 6 month at least. In turn the OP might be onto something - maybe sub-£35k RC-F are really gaining interest now. The alternative theory - Hatfields overpaid for PX and didn't want to discount car at all, for a while it was cheapest available, but lately there were even sub-£30k cars so finally they accepted offer well below asking price.

@Linas.P Linas I went to Hatfield to test that car the day I bought my Rcf from Cheltenham it was a response from the sales guy and his manager we've all heard " We don't give discounts we don't need to " not a penny off it needed 4 tyres which they wouldn't do "2mm is sufficient and within limits" 

Can I see the service history " Er um it's not complete yet we need to" Blah Blah Blah............As I'm walking away 

Looked nice but not for me and certainly not from them 🙄

Big Rat

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Chafford1 said:

@Chafford1 Drove one back last year on extended test it sounded good, played with one at Lexus Cheltenham only yesterday, they are lovely I just can't get my head round the spangly wheels, minor 1st world gripe.

🐀

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Chafford1 Drove one back last year on extended test it sounded good, played with one at Lexus Cheltenham only yesterday, they are lovely I just can't get my head round the spangly wheels, minor 1st world gripe.

🐀

LC wheels are horrendous (imho).

The LC does sound good - better than a stock F car.

However, it won’t compete with a QS (which comes out at about 98dB)

• Like 2

Agreed the we heels are not good at all. I am not sure about the car as a while but maybe it is the wheels blocking my judgement. I saw one at goodwood motorshow last year and was left a bit cold. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chafford1 said:

True as did the LFA before it, but why have  the 3 “F” cars to date all been given relatively quieter exhaust systems?

These are top of the range cars whose direct competitors have tuned exhaust systems, so It wouldn’t seem likely that it’s a decision based on cost and hence why I can’t help wondering if this Is a deliberate choice for some other reason.  

It just seems an odd decision to me and I would be interested to know why.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAW said:

True as did the LFA before it, but why have  the 3 “F” cars to date all been given relatively quieter exhaust systems?

These are top of the range cars whose direct competitors have tuned exhaust systems, so It wouldn’t seem likely that it’s a decision based on cost and hence why I can’t help wondering if this Is a deliberate choice for some other reason.  

It just seems an odd decision to me and I would be interested to know why.

Apart from the LFA, I’ve driven all F cars and heard most custom exhausts. None are perfect. The nearest to perfection has to be the LC500 V8. I suspect it’s not an easy task getting an exhaust system that sounds good but doesn’t suffer from resonance/ drone.

I’m sure that’s true & don’t get me wrong it’s not that big an issue that it would ever stop me buying an “F”.  I never did get round to changing the exhaust on my ISF & they all sound brilliant over the 3.5k.

It just seems strange when Mercedes AMG, Audi, BMW, Alfa etc all seem to manage it and they are the competition.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DAW said:

I’m sure that’s true & don’t get me wrong it’s not that big an issue that it would ever stop me buying an “F”.  I never did get round to changing the exhaust on my ISF & they all sound brilliant over the 3.5k.

It just seems strange when Mercedes AMG, Audi, BMW, Alfa etc all seem to manage it and they are the competition.  

Yeh, I agree.

Having said that, all of the above seem to now be struggling to get good noise out of Turbo engines. Mercedes however.........

Agree & until recently the noise was one of the main draws to the AMG’s as they weren’t considered to be as good dynamically as BMW. It gives their cars character so I’m sure a lot of development & money went into maintaining that sound even with Turbos (like Ferrari).

Perhaps you are right & it’s the development cost which has driven the decision........

• Like 1

I agree on a performance car, the system should sound better. Other brands can do it. Does the rcf have valves in the stock system? 

Its is annoying knowing you have to fork out ££££ for the sound you expect from a v8 when you have only just bought a car. Having said that I do love a mod! 

One of the draws of the Merc is knowing you don’t need wheels, exhaust etc to make it how you want. 

• Like 1

At the weekend, whilst filling up with fuel, a Merc coupe pulled in - one of the later generation turbo V8s. OMG - what a dirty noise - epic!!  I can’t see an F ever competing with that sound.

Mind you, when he tried to impress with a quick exit, the torque proved too much and the traction control but an instant stop to all his fun 😂

Edit: I will add, I spotted him taking several sneaky looks at the F - probably thought it was a Vauxhall Calibra!

• Like 2

What a transformation! :thumbsup:

On more serious note - I am sure many people get completely dumb-founded by RC-F... it is stunning looking car, but they have never seen it, nor heard about it... and because they are officially rarer then unicorns - the reactions are real... 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

What a transformation! :thumbsup:

On more serious note - I am sure many people get completely dumb-founded by RC-F... it is stunning looking car, but they have never seen it, nor heard about it... and because they are officially rarer then unicorns - the reactions are real... 

It's not just the F variant any RC gets stared at, commented about. I regularly get stopped in car parks and asked about my car.

The RC must be one of the best kept motoring secrets out there!

• Like 3

Ohhh.. why did you brought this-up... I wanted to avoid double standards in this thread i.e. in one forum mixing RC300h with mud in other complimenting the looks......

Ohh well RC is beautiful car - yes RC300h included... during my 24h drive I got complimented like 3 times, 15 minutes into drive taxi driver pulled to the side on hard shoulder, rolled down the window and complimented the car. There are some people stating that new Lexus styling (the spindle grill) is ugly, but those people I have seen were definitely amazed in good way... and not at all disgusted. 

• Like 1

I think it's a case of photography and TV versus real life viewing.

Car looks better out in the wild among all the bland cars than it does in a photo on its own.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Last weekend, two incidents that I noticed -

1. Dacia ‘ Danduster’ came flying up behind me, flashing his lights. I initially thought he was angry. Then I spotted him giving me the thumbs up. The passenger was leaning out of the car filming on their phone.

2. A guy in Aberystwyth came running across the street to talk to me about the car. 

3. Actually No 3. Armed response unit loved the car too. Female PC preferred it to @Mark G‘s gorgeous GSF. Sorry Blue. I did buy him lunch to make Blue happier 😜

RCFs turn heads like no other cars I’ve owned. It could be the “Oh my god, that’s ugly” but I doubt it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Comedian said:

Car looks better out in the wild among all the bland cars than it does in a photo on its own.

I still love the M4 and on the whole, the M4 has less to dislike about it - a very pretty car. However, from certain angles the RCF definitely wins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flytvr said:

I still love the M4 and on the whole, the M4 has less to dislike about it - a very pretty car. However, from certain angles the RCF definitely wins.

Have you don a comparison thread of the two yet?

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

Agree, I had similar comments about the ISF looking so much better in the flesh.

The RCF gets positive attention whenever I drive it, as I’m pretty sure most people haven’t got a clue what they are looking at.

Had a guy stop at the end of his drive & watched me drive up the road recently  - so must be ticking some boxes!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Flytvr said:

I like the the styling of the M4, but they are so common where I live you almost don’t notice them.  They tend to blend in with all the other high spec 4 series - which is a great shame!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links