Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wind noise in car

At high speeds or on windy days, there's a load wind noise (not a whistling noise) inside my 2002 IS200, with a thump thump every so often. It comes from the passenger side (right hand drive). Can anyone tell me what this is? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Hello Tim and welcome to the LOC.

Usual cause is window seals or door seals, perhaps get someone to drive the car while you sit in the passenger seat and try and pin point the source.

Another one could be torn,damaged or removed plastic sheeting between the door interior trim panel and the door framework.

Hi Tim, my IS had negligible wind noise so you right to think something is wrong.

Apart from what Steve says, have you checked all the various bits of undertray and the rubber plugs in the box sections? I wrenched a the end of the main engine undertray off after going through some deep water a few winters back, and that made a horrible thumping sound. I also lost a rubber plug - again driving through water - and that produced a sort of hollow rushing sound that was difficult to locate from the drivers seats. 

Hello Tim and welcome to the LOC.
Usual cause is window seals or door seals, perhaps get someone to drive the car while you sit in the passenger seat and try and pin point the source.
Another one could be torn,damaged or removed plastic sheeting between the door interior trim panel and the door framework.
This might sound weird but it only started after I took it in for a full service, took it back to the same auto shop and explained what I was hearing, they kept it for the day, drove it and checked seals (at least they said it was done) and said everything was fine but the issue remains so they must of missed something.

Does the door line up properly when closed, my previous car the wind caught the door and bent it open further than it should bending the hinges just enough that the door was no longer flush. 70mph and it would start to whistle

Thanks gents, I've got a friend to take a ride with me on the weekend, will take her for a run on the motorway sitting on the passenger side, will also check the underside. Hopefully I'm able to figure out, thanks again for in invaluable advice, really appreciate it.