Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1 hour ago, DOS1 said:

Bought RX 350 SEL not so long back - There is a short rattle on start up - is this normal  ?

Any more info? Front? Back? Engine? Can you record it so that we can hear it?

• Like 1

Hi Brendan. From experience with other vehicles ( not Lexus) if it is just a rattle coming from the top of the engine and not a heavy knocking it is likley to be one of the hydraulic cam followers priming with oil. On older engines they can loose their oil so when the engine starts they are empty hence the rattling until they fill again.

Bri

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian26 said:

Hi Brendan. From experience with other vehicles ( not Lexus) if it is just a rattle coming from the top of the engine and not a heavy knocking it is likley to be one of the hydraulic cam followers priming with oil. On older engines they can loose their oil so when the engine starts they are empty hence the rattling until they fill again.

Bri

I've got a 2006 rx400h:  does my engine have hydraulic cam followers?

13 hours ago, Brian26 said:

Bri

Thanks Brian - Yes it is a (dry) rattle for 2 seconds then smooth. When I restart it is quiet (oiled) This is what I suspected but is it normal ?  Thanx again

14 hours ago, sorcerer said:

Any more info? Front? Back? Engine? Can you record it so that we can hear it?

Thnx    -  350 petrol - The rattle is from the top of the engine for 2 seconds on start up - if I restart it is quiet (as it is oiled.  ?  )

Looks like the oil has drained down while stopped - ?  'Dry'  when started until oil has pumped up.  But is this normal  ?  Cheers

1 hour ago, DOS1 said:

Thnx    -  350 petrol - The rattle is from the top of the engine for 2 seconds on start up - if I restart it is quiet (as it is oiled.  ?  )

Looks like the oil has drained down while stopped - ?  'Dry'  when started until oil has pumped up.  But is this normal  ?  Cheers

As Brian said above, hydraulic tappets can lose their oil and is fairly normalish for older engines. I'm not sure if anything can be done about it or not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sorcerer said:

As Brian said above, hydraulic tappets can lose their oil and is fairly normalish for older engines. I'm not sure if anything can be done about it or not.

Cheers