Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Will a mobility scooter hoist fit my RX400?

Having finally accepted the need for a scooter and not wanting to change the car as it is so comfortable I need to find out if an electric hoist will fit in the boot to lift a scooter into place.

Sure I read something on here about minor hoist details cannot get any supplier to answer question without seeing car for themselves.

Has anyone fitted such a hoist and could even give an idea of what make scooter fits boot space.

Does small capacity 12v Battery cause operational issues?

Many thanks

stu

10 minutes ago, oldgreybeard said:

Having finally accepted the need for a scooter and not wanting to change the car as it is so comfortable I need to find out if an electric hoist will fit in the boot to lift a scooter into place.

Sure I read something on here about minor hoist details cannot get any supplier to answer question without seeing car for themselves.

Has anyone fitted such a hoist and could even give an idea of what make scooter fits boot space.

Does small capacity 12v battery cause operational issues?

Many thanks

stu

Aside from the hoist, have you checked that the scooter itself will fit?  I think you may need to sacrifice the use of your rear seats.  

14 minutes ago, welland said:

Aside from the hoist, have you checked that the scooter itself will fit?  I think you may need to sacrifice the use of your rear seats.  

Thanks Peter, really need to get scooter up to car boot as trying to calculate boot floor dimensions and hoist clearance and space needed is a bit much. 

Perhaps find a scooter shop with a couple of strong lads to try and lift one in.

Rear seats bit of a worry as we have small dog to transport as well. Just cant face idea of switching to something like Galaxy or Sedona to meet needs.

Will see

17 minutes ago, oldgreybeard said:

Sure I read something on here about minor hoist details cannot get any supplier to answer question with seeing car for themselves.

Many thanks

stu

I don't know your physical abilities but my wife has a mobility scooter, a Scootamart Versa Lite - click this link for details. We were lucky to get hers secondhand for £375 from eBay, almost unused, so it's worth a look there too.

It fits into the back of the RX300 that we used to have and as the 400h is built on the same body, then I know it'll fit into yours. It comes apart into five separate pieces, no tools are needed. The front axle, tiller and body is one piece, the rear axle, the Battery, the seat and the basket make up the rest.

Because it splits apart it's light and easy to handle, and my wife can get it in and out of the car herself without needing a hoist. As an indication, we managed to get the scooter and four weeks-worth of luggage in the boot of the RX300, without putting the seats down, when we went on holiday driving and touring around Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sorcerer said:

haveI don't know your physical abilities but my wife has a mobility scooter, a Scootamart Versa Lite - click this link for details. We were lucky to get hers secondhand for £375 from eBay, almost unused, so it's worth a look there too.

It fits into the back of the RX300 that we used to have and as the 400h is built on the same body, then I know it'll fit into yours. It comes apart into five separate pieces, no tools are needed. The front axle, tiller and body is one piece, the rear axle, the battery, the seat and the basket make up the rest.

Because it splits apart it's light and easy to handle, and my wife can get it in and out of the car herself without needing a hoist. As an indication, we managed to get the scooter and four weeks-worth of luggage in the boot of the RX300, without putting the seats down, when we went on holiday driving and touring around Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Thanks for you quick reply, have looked at similar models to the one you linked but my problem is one of bending and lifting. Spine and legs had it and in rigid braces and only have 50% use of left hand

This will obviously be a research mission!

32 minutes ago, oldgreybeard said:

Thanks for you quick reply, have looked at similar models to the one you linked but my problem is one of bending and lifting. Spine and legs had it and in rigid braces and only have 50% use of left hand

This will obviously be a research mission!

Fair enough Stuart, good luck in your search.

Does small capacity 12v battery cause operational issues?
Many thanks
stu

Hello sir. I have a mobility scooter it’s a Gogo elite Traveler and i use an Autochair Olympian hoist to remotely lift it in and out of the back of my RX 400. So I can confirm at least scooter and a host of that can figuration will go in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ISJason said:

Hello sir. I have a mobility scooter it’s a Gogo elite Traveler and i use an Autochair Olympian hoist to remotely lift it in and out of the back of my RX 400. So I can confirm at least scooter and a host of that can figuration will go in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi

Thanks for your input, glad to know a scooter and hoist will fit.

Can I ask which model Olympian hoist you have, ie. 100kg etc

Is it wired  to the 12 v starter Battery and do you have to put ignition into `ready` status

Could I ask if there is any chance of a photo with scooter in place. Having looked at the scooter you have listed  we need to see if we can get something slightly bigger even if we have to fold one rear seat.

many thanks for your help

stuart

My wife has a Pride Go Go Sport, and at the moment I can lift it into the rear of my 450H manually, after removing the front basket, seat and Battery pack, after folding down the tiller. 

It fits sideways against the rear of the seats, and I place the removed articles around it. I will eventually be looking at a hoist when I am unable to lift it manually.

Please report back if you find a lift and have it installed as I think this will be a topic that will help others

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

My wife has a Pride Go Go Sport, and at the moment I can lift it into the rear of my 450H manually, after removing the front basket, seat and battery pack, after folding down the tiller. 

It fits sideways against the rear of the seats, and I place the removed articles around it. I will eventually be looking at a hoist when I am unable to lift it manually.

Please report back if you find a lift and have it installed as I think this will be a topic that will help others

As and when I have solved the problem will report back with as much info as needed and photos when I work out how !

Very happy to return some info and help as I have had valuable help and advice from this forum myself