Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys
I'm about to buy GS450h,2007 and only 70000 miles on clock.
but one thing worried me a bit, hybrid Battery. I know nothing about them.
Thing is when I went there first time Battery was nearly full on screen. Today (2 days from first time) Battery was sitting at 1/4 max. Is it normal?
Is there any thing else to look for when buying this cars?
Cheers

Hi Marcin, welcome to the forum.

The GS450H is a pretty solid car, it's a Lexus after all but on the older models watch out for leaky shocks, blowing exhausts at the rear Y pipe and rear mufflers.  

The Hybrid Battery meter will flow up/down during use and is handled automatically by the vehicle. So what you saw sounds perfectly normal.  Dealer charges on the hybrid batteries are costly but there are numerous options to make much cheaper repairs, we even had a forum member who offers such a service.  Hybrid issues aren't unknown but they aren't common either, as Toyota/Lexus have been developing the system for many years now.

There have been several threads like this recently that will quickly bring you up to speed e.g. 

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/115281-going-to-see-a-450h-tomorrow-any-tips/?page=1

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/115355-dads-looking-at-purchasing-a-gs450h-any-advice/?page=1

As always check the MOT history whilst looking at any purchases, they can often be very revealing. 

Good luck with your search and let us know how you get on?

PS: what's going on with your large font?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Each time the car is started or the ignition turned on the hybrid Battery will have charge removed. This charge will not be put back unless the engine is left to run in park or drive for a period. If the car is left in neutral even with the engine running both the hybrid Battery, and the 12 volt Battery will become discharged.

It is the hybrid Battery that starts the engine, and is also used to charge the 12 volt Battery. The car has no normal 12 volt starter motor, and no 12 volt alternator.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1