Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Overall performance/speed

MVrod

Hello all I have an inkling to purchase a ct220h , I was dwelling on a IS250 but her indoors has a severe dislike for some reason but has indicated the CT is "nice" especially the red one !!!! 

Anyway to the point ,either way I will have one or the other. Now issue is that I read they are slow . 

I am driving an 02 Jetta/Bora 2000cc engine which is not very quick but adequate does anyone have a comparison is it about the same speed acceleration wise or is the CT quicker TIA. ?

Hi Rod,   Why don't you and her indoors go out and test drive one ?  Doesn't have to be at a Lexus agent, plenty of CT200hs about at independents too.  Your Jetta/Bora is a bit long in the tooth, I think you'll have a positive experience in a Lexus irrespective of its acceleration.  Let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Comedian said:

Is250 is leagues ahead of a ct

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

yes its my preference but she just hears Alan Partridge every time I mention it LOL. I will try both and go from there.

24 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

Hi Rod,   Why don't you and her indoors go out and test drive one ?  Doesn't have to be at a Lexus agent, plenty of CT200hs about at independents too.  Your Jetta/Bora is a bit long in the tooth, I think you'll have a positive experience in a Lexus irrespective of its acceleration.  Let us know how you get on.

From a fellow Zep fan how can I not follow this advice.

I had two ISs before my RX.  Sean is absolutely correct, the IS is streets ahead of the CT.  I had a CT once as a loan car while my IS was being serviced....not a patch.  Does "her indoors" drive ?  Let her do the test drives.....no contest !     (Alan Partridge had the previous IS model)  :rockon:

I at a Ct200h saturday and I was disappointed it was not what I was expecting even to the point I refused the test drive offered.

Interior did not look as plush as expected, it was heavily worn despite 45000 miles and the rear window was way too small. 

It wasn't awful it just didn't look "Lexus" like bit more Toyota sorry but it burst my bubble.

So its back to the IS250 se-l in a silver /dark colour with any colour leather and black carpets for me thanks for the input .

• Like 1

I had a CT200h as a courtesy car once and I will not accept one a second time. I told customer services, when they rang for customer feedback, I thought the CT was not the sort of standard I would expect from Lexus. The lady made a note (she said) so the service manager would be aware not to offer a CT next time mine's n for service. 

Obviously this is all very much subjective and personal preference  

• Like 1

Original poster: CT200 just isn't made to perform the same function as your existing VW. The idea of the type of hybrid which the CT200 is an example of is improved economy. Some hybrids  such as the porsche or mclaren are built to a different set of parameters. CT200 and performance don't really go together. VW Audi are producing "nice" 1.4 litre petrol engined non hybrid hatchback packages which will knock the spots off a CT200. If your heart is set on a Lexus and you prefer speed performance rather than economy performance, look at something other than a CT. This may get difficult, given your other halves expressed preference for something "nice". I suspect that other manufacturers will follow the aforementioned VW Audi trend of fitting little "hot snot" engines into "nice" little body shells. Parking a CT is more difficult than a lot of similarly sized cars due to less vision whilst reversing. This particular aspect can also have a great effect on other halves too.

12 hours ago, Wass said:

Original poster: CT200 just isn't made to perform the same function as your existing VW. The idea of the type of hybrid which the CT200 is an example of is improved economy. Some hybrids  such as the porsche or mclaren are built to a different set of parameters. CT200 and performance don't really go together. VW Audi are producing "nice" 1.4 litre petrol engined non hybrid hatchback packages which will knock the spots off a CT200. If your heart is set on a Lexus and you prefer speed performance rather than economy performance, look at something other than a CT. This may get difficult, given your other halves expressed preference for something "nice". I suspect that other manufacturers will follow the aforementioned VW Audi trend of fitting little "hot snot" engines into "nice" little body shells. Parking a CT is more difficult than a lot of similarly sized cars due to less vision whilst reversing. This particular aspect can also have a great effect on other halves too.

Absolutely agree . I want comfort with some performance I think the CT is fine in its design but I was not overly impressed so I will go for an IS250 and the other half will have to revelin the soft seats and interior or she walks. 

Many thanks for the input it has helped make my decision and consequently my son actually liked the CT and is considering one for his daily commute.

Rod, an IS250 SE-L will be a splendid choice.  I've had one and it was a cracker. I'm sure you will find exactly what you are looking for if you take your time. When you find one and it entails a bit of a journey, it will be well worth it.

Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

Had a couple of CT200h for the day while my IS250 was in for service.

The IS250 is not only better it's light years ahead of the CT200h. It dosnt even feel like a Lexus and acceleration is dreadful. Stamp on the gas and nothing happens except for the annoying drone from the engine. 

As much as I love Lexus [and will never touch any other brand,] I would never purchase the CT200h.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

CT200 isn't all that bad. It depends on what you want from it. Around town I think they are great. Fast A roads and motorways - forget it.

I agree. Have driven quite a few as courtesy cars and pottering around town it's a great car. It's actually quite fun on windy b roads but hated it on fast a roads and motorways. The biggest problem for me as a second car is its lack of practicality. Our old Honda jazz beats it hands down for local shopping and trips to the dump.

Two completely different cars and depends on your needs.

You have the choice of thirsty old tech with an ancient six pot or new tech that does a job and will be considerably cheaper to run...just not that excitingly. If you want a proper six pot go German as they will blow the IS250 out the water if that's your thing.

Red is nice though:wink3:

2 hours ago, doog442 said:

You have the choice of thirsty old tech with an ancient six pot or new tech that does a job and will be considerably cheaper to run...just not that excitingly. If you want a proper six pot go German as they will blow the IS250 out the water if that's your thing.

Quite true the ancient 6 pot is thirsty. Infact it's almost as thirsty as the modern IS200T that nobody wants here in the UK due to its very poor performance figures. Infact it only just pips the ancient 250 to the post.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, doog442 said:

Agree the Ct200h just voted most reliable car, no road tax for pre 2017, and great economy, completely different market, a reliable low cost second car. By comparison the IS250 is very thirsty, high road tax and only 204bhp. I think it was termed a 6cyl with 4cyl performance. Having said that it is a sweet looking car with the Lexus edge to it and still a lot of upside. I think Hybrid & Electric will be the way forward for Lexus.The Japanese tend to look for better engineering  & reliability over performance, just my 2c :wink3:

• Like 1

You’re comparing a CT to an IS which is laughable. You obviously don’t know how to drive a hybrid to get the best out of it.
Mine is excellent on A roads and motorways and can keep up with the flow without the “drone” you need to know how to drive it without this. It’s a CVT gearbox nothing like an IS.
If you just boot it hard like other autos you will get a bad effect. Build the speed up quick enough (pulse) and just back off and let it glide in EV mode,simple. If you want to play stick in Sport mode for tighter steering and sharp throttle response. It’s not slow by any means. Handling is go kart like with minimal body roll.
I love mine. It has all the Lexus luxury and the seats are the most comfortable I have ever sat in.
If you want an old gas guzzler buy an IS. I originally wanted an IS but due to its size it won’t fit in my garage so I bought the CT and suits all my needs.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

. If you want to play stick in Sport mode for tighter steering and sharp throttle response. It’s not slow by any means. Handling is go kart like with minimal body roll.
I love mine. It has all the Lexus luxury and the seats are the most comfortable I have ever sat in.

Got to love dry humour. You nearly had me there, I thought you were being serious. ;)

Voicing my opinion of mine. It’s obviously a problem for you. So many CT haters around. But then there’s a Prius that’s laughable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I don't let opinion bother me in the slightest. We are sharing opinions here, that's what the forum is partly for. You obviously don't mind other opinions right? Or that would be hypocritical.

I also don't hate the CT. I was hoping Mrs would get one but she chose civic instead because it's faster and handled better. And was cheaper.

If you like yours then that is all that matters.

But I have driven them and my opinion just differs to yours.

I'd rather have a prius. It's not pretending.

55 minutes ago, Comedian said:

No, I don't let opinion bother me in the slightest. We are sharing opinions here, that's what the forum is partly for. You obviously don't mind other opinions right? Or that would be hypocritical.

I also don't hate the CT. I was hoping Mrs would get one but she chose civic instead because it's faster and handled better. And was cheaper.

If you like yours then that is all that matters.

But I have driven them and my opinion just differs to yours.

I'd rather have a prius. It's not pretending.

Lol! thats what wives do I tried to steer my wife towards a Civic as I liked the fold up/fold down rear seat. I thought it would be nice to be able to stand the golf club bags up, instead of knocking my car interior around. :whistling:

Sadly she saw right through me and bought the one she wanted, but I have no complaints and she loves it. I think it helps with her new saving the planet fad, we are now having our milk delivered in glass bottles and avoiding plastic wrapped food :wink3: