Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I have recently started noticing that when I play music from my phone to tape cassette adapter there is far more audio coming from the passenger side of the car than the right hand side. The right side speakers work fine but just don’t seem to be playing much audio at all. The problem isn’t noticeable when listening to a CD or fm, just when using the tape deck.

Is this just the result of modern songs confusing dated technology with the tape or is there something wrong with the audio system? Or a faulty tape deck? 

I have plugged in the cassette adapter into our other 430 and the audio is exactly balanced and the bass seems stronger so that leads me to believe something is bad in the first LS. 

Could it be that a speaker is blown on the right hand side so it’s forcing it to play audio more on the left? 

Any help much appreciated,

Alex 

I have found in the past that those tape adapters don't line up well with the tape head, which gives your symptoms and others, if the sound is OK on a cd or radio then the adapter is the issue...

53 minutes ago, Haylands said:

I have found in the past that those tape adapters don't line up well with the tape head, which gives your symptoms and others, if the sound is OK on a cd or radio then the adapter is the issue...

Sounds reassuring, since  in the other LS with a different adapter it plays better so it is possible that the first adapter is a bit faulty. I might order a better one online.

Alex 

When the audio jack is plugged in, spin the plug in your aux port and see if that changes anything. In my experience when speakers do this through the aux port the cable and plug is usually to blame

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Connor2x4 said:

When the audio jack is plugged in, spin the plug in your aux port and see if that changes anything. In my experience when speakers do this through the aux port the cable and plug is usually to blame

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Should have said that I tried that already but it's fine. I was sitting in the car earlier this afternoon listening trying to figure this all out and it seems to me that the problem is actually the cassette deck itself, I played an old tape and the same result- more audio on the left than right hand side of car. A while ago the whole audio unit died and the only one I could find was a used eBay replacement. When I have lots of time over the summer I will have to remove it and adjust it if that's possible or replace. Doesn't help that the right door speaker is muffled and I think needs replacing and the subwoofer is worn.

Perhaps it's my hearing already:blink:

I put my ear to every speaker in the car and the front right door speaker sounds muffled and distorted almost as if someone poored  a drink into it is the best way to describe it. Perhaps that is why there's more sound from the left.  It's odd because I replaced that speaker about 3 years ago but perhaps it has blown already?

Alex 

Tape head azimuth is out, in layman’s terms the head in the player and the cassette adaptor are not perfectly aligned with each other, what is the sound like if you play a tape in the deck (assuming you still have one and the deck still works).

On 15/04/2018 at 6:18 PM, Newbie1 said:

Try a cassette demagnetiser, if they still sell such things. Have you tried a cotton bud with isopropyl alcohol, if you can access the head?

Have just ordered it from eBay. The description sounds hopeful. Sounds like it could be just the thing! I didn’t even know that these existed. Will run it in the deck when it arrives and let you know how I get on. 

Thanks so much for the idea.

Alex 

3 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Tape head azimuth is out, in layman’s terms the head in the player and the cassette adaptor are not perfectly aligned with each other, what is the sound like if you play a tape in the deck (assuming you still have one and the deck still works).

The sound is okay I suppose, being old technology after all. Admittedly there’s a bit of a lack of bass, a bit like my subwoofer shrunk :w00t:. In our other Ls the bass from the cassette is much sharper and it might just be me but the overall sound quality is a bit better too. 

The biggest problem is the balance. Will try the demagnetiser that Phil suggested and see if it improves. 

Can the head player be re aligned? 

Thanks,

Alex 

I have exactly same experience from my Mk3 and Mk4 LS400.

It does plays louder from passenger side. Even when you change the balance to make it even. 

Maybe it is for the passengers not for the chaffeur lol. 

22 minutes ago, Newbie1 said:

I am sorry for recommending the demagnetiser!

I take full responsibility Phil, I should have noticed that when I brought it in towards the deck it felt a little different, I should have been paying more attention. The car made it worse for itself since when it got half way it began pulling it in further a centimetre at a time and since I was away from home there was nothing I could do to stop it. 

Was a result of my carelessness and the car insisting on not letting its owner down :biggrin:

8 hours ago, ls400lpg said:

I have exactly same experience from my Mk3 and Mk4 LS400.

It does plays louder from passenger side. Even when you change the balance to make it even. 

Maybe it is for the passengers not for the chaffeur lol. 

Perhaps it’s certain cars- our other ls which is 2001 seems fine, mind you I certainly wouldn’t put it past Lexus to have fine tuned it for the passengers ha ha! 

47 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

I have a spare cassette player sitting around which was given to me by member Neil here - you can have it if you want 

That’s incredibly generous of you Mark! Your offer would be most appreciated! 

I’ve got a local guy coming round this evening to try to extract the tape but even if he succeeds I think the player has been damaged. 

I’ll let you know what happens later today. 

Many thanks,

Alex 

Unfortunately he was not able to extract it despite trying for ages with a plethora of tools. He said that despite the fact that it is clear of the spindles there is something clasping it in there and he can't imagine what it is. 

I can see into the deck that there are some parts out of place so I think that even if I dismantle it and try to remove it the player is ruined  anyway from trying to pull out the cassette unfortunately. 

If you are still willing to let me have your spare unit Mark, it would make my day!

Thank you,

Alex 

8 hours ago, cruisermark said:

I have a spare cassette player sitting around which was given to me by member Neil here - you can have it if you want 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links