Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

Had the lovely Check VSC warning come up a few times recently but cleared it by disconnecting the Battery to see if it was just spurious. It wasn't and returned after 2 days each time. I bought the Techstream kit from eBay (TaggyTech, excellent) and ran a test this morning. Only one fault code, P0172, system too rich Bank 1.  I can make adjustments to all kinds of things using Techstream but what should I be looking at first? On my old cars I'd have been using a Colourtune and screwdriver!  Please see attached pic from laptop.

Regards to all.

20180414_074728.thumb.jpg.66260ddbaa5690501b446e4b756850bc.jpg

Hey Mike,

If only it was that simple still :smile:

Have you checked things like vacuum leaks and temp sensors?  It can be rather involving to diagnose, so have a look at the attached HTML file to give you some ideas.

*edit* that didn't work. I will message you instead.

• Thanks 1

As it’s very easy to do .... I’d remove and do a solvent clean of the maf sensor. Then you can dismiss that if the light is still on.

Have the upstream fuel/air sensors ever been changed?

• Like 1

Seeing you have TechStream to hand check this recent thread on error P0171 (too lean) I know this is not your fault but it has the details for the voltage specs for the O2 sensors

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/112998-system-too-lean-error-codes/

in particular this post

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/112998-system-too-lean-error-codes/?do=findComment&comment=1029658

paul m.

• Thanks 1

Hi all

Followed forum advice and did the easy stuff, checked hoses, cleaned MAF sensor even though it was spotless.  All back together and then a 60 mile run under various road conditions. So far all good, I'll let you know if anything changes.

Regards to all 

Mike 

Good news Mike.

Here's hoping that's done it.

I do my MAF clean every 8000 miles or so. Its never looked dirty but its kinda tricky to see right down the tube where the wire goes. So I just do it anyway.

The good news is that if it is the Bank 1 Sensor 1 that's playing up .... its the easiest one to replace. 15 mins tops.

Every cloud has a silver lining.  The car now seems to be running better than ever and my fuel consumption figures are better.  Now getting 34 mpg on a short (7 mile in each direction) daily commute.  I was getting 29 mpg on the commute before and thought that was reasonable. Happy.

Thank you Shahpor, Normski and Texas.

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

That’s good news. Hampshire is a big county.. so this may be a pointless offer. My closest point to Hants would be Ringwood. I work near Verwood. If you need to do the oxygen sensors at any point I have the requisite socket for the sensor. You are welcome to borrow it at any time. Bank 1 sensor 1 is dead easy. Bank 2 sensor 1 is a little more tricky, but doable.

I’ve done both on my car so can offer assistance. Newbies guides are excellent and easy to follow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1