Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is it safe to leave waxing until tomorrow?

I've been working on the car since about 2pm, taking it slow and easy because of my back injury and I've just finished applying the Poorboys Black Hole. I was going to finish off with a coat of Autoglym Ultra High Definition wax but my back is really beginning to hurt now. If I leave the waxing until tomorrow, is that alright or will I have to start washing and cleaning again?

Evening John, I'd be tempted to give it a quick hose down and dry, the Autoglym HD wax is actually very easy to apply, it's not like the old days of Simoniz which was a hell of a chore. This is the biggest drawback of an RX, it's so damn big!

Take a couple of ibruproffen and have a hot bath, you'll feel better tomorrow! You'll be amazed at how much better it looks. Rayaans put me on to a brilliant product, Sonax BSD, i wax my car twice a year, actually I have it done now, and in between I use Sonax BSD using a wet microfibre and it looks stunning. Great product

Well, I decided to carry on last night and put a coat of wax on.

@Silversalmon Edward, you were right, it's very easy to apply and buff off, and I'm glad that I got the job completely finished yesterday instead of it running into another day, but by the hell I'm suffering for it today  :wacko:

However, I reckon it was worth it to see her shine like that and even a pleasure for it to rain today and to see all that beautiful beading!

Ok, so yesterday I did 'the full works' from snow foam to shampoo, from claying to a cleaning fluid/pre-wax treatment, then applying Poorboys Black Hole Glaze and finally the Autoglym wax. I doubt very much that it's necessary to do all that every time and even if it was, I know my back won't stand up to it, so the question is, how often should I do 'the full works' and what should I do to give her an 'ordinary' wash, say, every couple of weeks?

These may seem silly, trivial questions but up to now it's been very rare for me to hand-wash a car. Normally I'd just take it to a car wash and be done with it but we've never had such a new or expensive car before so I feel it's only right that I treat this one with more love and respect :yes:

• Like 1

Realistically you might want to do the full treatment a couple of times a year depending on mileage. As long as it's washed correctly over the coming months you could say top up the wax once a month and that should suffice. You can always get a detailing spray to use as a drying aid after each wash.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Did the poorboys Black Hole work well, it get good reviews, just ordered some myself. Hope it's easy to apply. Looking forward to see the results of your back breaking labours John

Ed

40 minutes ago, Silversalmon said:

Did the poorboys Black Hole work well, it get good reviews, just ordered some myself. Hope it's easy to apply. Looking forward to see the results of your back breaking labours John

Ed

It did work well Ed, easy to apply and a real shine to it, well impressed. Here's three (not very good) photos from last night, after the Poorboys Black Hole but before waxing:

DSC_0308.JPG

DSC_0309.JPG

DSC_0310.JPG

• Like 1

It did work well Ed, easy to apply and a real shine to it, well impressed. Here's three (not very good) photos from last night, after the Poorboys Black Hole but before waxing:

DSC_0308.thumb.JPG.fb24d27b8c418a1ede5f42dc44d638cd.JPG
DSC_0309.thumb.JPG.dc4a28442f2004ae69ea2225b4d177c3.JPG
DSC_0310.thumb.JPG.ae4fc5b70133741ac96fa82f30e7ab93.JPG
Looks great. I used Poorboys' sister product (White Diamond) on my car last month and was very impressed with it. [emoji106]

• Like 1

Please excuse my ignorance chaps, but I was under the impression that it wasn't necessary to polish modern cars these days.

As they were coated with a glaze finish.  Although this may be an option which not everyone takes up, due to cost ?

I had this on my previous Civic hybrid, and never polished it.

9 hours ago, Hadrian said:

Please excuse my ignorance chaps, but I was under the impression that it wasn't necessary to polish modern cars these days.

As they were coated with a glaze finish.  Although this may be an option which not everyone takes up, due to cost ?

I'm new to washing/polishing/detailing cars (always had low value cars before so just an automatic car wash at Asda or wherever would do) so someone more experienced than I will confirm, but I don't think that's true. I would imagine polishing and waxing would benefit most cars, but I stand to be corrected.

There's no coating ( which is often offered by dealerships) at a cheap cost that will last long. The best coatings now will last several years but the cost of these plus the maintenance runs into four figures.

A wax will help protect your car but poor washing technique will add scratches to your clearcoat. Modern paint finishes need protecting and washing correctly to maintain them.

The confusion starts where there are products described as polishes that have little to no cut to them so it's more of a glaze which cleans the paintwork. They have fillers in them so act like makeup ( Autoglym super resin polish as an example) if you don't seal these in with a wax or sealant the fillers drop out and your paint goes back to how it was.

You cannot without a superhuman effort correct a car by hand so a all in one polish is best to give a good shine and results. A wax will add to that effect.

Sorry to bore you but I love a bit of car cleaning and as I'm off this week will be giving the old girl it's doing clean. Several hours will be spent on it so over the next few months it will reduce the amount of effort that goes in.

I like a shiny car[emoji3]

Not bad for over 11 years old. 2bf4c1a084de947bf800850fceed67c1.jpg07dfe987f90a24def35d2aff2c97b2af.jpg

• Like 2

DSC_0308.thumb.JPG.fb24d27b8c418a1ede5f42dc44d638cd.JPG
DSC_0309.thumb.JPG.dc4a28442f2004ae69ea2225b4d177c3.JPG
DSC_0310.thumb.JPG.ae4fc5b70133741ac96fa82f30e7ab93.JPG
Looks good fella.

Get those tyres dressed[emoji6]

2 hours ago, leelacey17 said:

Looks good fella.

Get those tyres dressedemoji6.png

Cheers Lee

I've got Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel for that but I just couldn't manage it because of my back. It's getting almost back to normal now so maybe I'll manage to get them done tomorrow  :biggrin:

Looking good.

You cold have left the wax for another day but ideally you would want to wash and dry particularly if left outside otherwise you'd rub dust into it. 

The problem is that you've now started a cycle of "glazing about" as I like to call it. Essentially it's covering up the swirls and will also reduce wax durability. When it washes off you'll be tempted to do it again. I would probably have chosen a more permanent corrective method instead to atleast give your back some ease.

In terms of waxing, 1 coat is fine. There's no benefit to 2 coats apart from ensuring you dont miss bits but overall if you go slow and be careful with 1 coat, you should be fine. There's a lot of folk who believe that 2 coats helps durability.  Yes it does but for a 4 month initial coat wax, it'll get you maybe 1 month extra. Not worth it in my book. 

In terms of how often you need to do the full works - generally wax when the beading drops off.  Don't rely on water behaviour of a dirty car though as dirt ruins beads so inspect after washing. 

clay only really needs doing once per year. You're simply introducing micro scratches for no real benefit if you're doing it more often. 

I also don't understand the use of cleanser polish and then poorboys black hole. Both products are essentially designed to do exactly the same thing so seems like an unnecessary step and would further reduce durability of wax. 

Cheers Ray, good points.

This is in the description of the Bilt Hamber cleaner fluid on their website:

Cleanser-fluid is a unique product exclusively from Bilt-Hamber Laboratories. It provides the deepest non-abrasive cleaning for the paint surface before the application of waxes and sealers.

Used to replace harsh IPA cleaners, the product removes all traces of oil-based road films, polish residue and LSP remains. Use after the claying process to perfectly prime the surface and boost the longevity of waxes etc.

and this is from the description of Black Hole from the Poorboys website:

Black Hole helps bring out the most from dark colours and helps to hide light swirls, scratches and paint imperfections. Black Hole is designed for detailers, enthusiasts and show car owners who want the best, deepest, & wettest shine available. Black Hole can be applied as often as needed and can be topped with waxes or sealants

so the way I saw it was to give the car a deep clean first and then the "...best, deepest and wettest shine available" by using the Black Hole and then to protect all of that with the wax.

1 hour ago, sorcerer said:

Cheers Ray, good points.

This is in the description of the Bilt Hamber cleaner fluid on their website:

and this is from the description of Black Hole from the Poorboys website:

so the way I saw it was to give the car a deep clean first and then the "...best, deepest and wettest shine available" by using the Black Hole and then to protect all of that with the wax.

Ah right I understand - I misread "Cleanser fluid" as "Cleanser Polish" which is another BH product and used the same way as Black Hole

The only issue I see with the black hole then really is that its loaded with gloss enhancers and will reduce the durability of the wax to an extent. Id see how long you get - really the UHD wax is supposed to give real world durability of 4 months if not more. So anything less than that and I would be concerned. 

Also remember that you're only filling in the scratches so they will come back over time and can become quite a vicious cycle

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

Alas i am a little late in my posting:wacko:

But i see we have to superb looking cars being shown in the pictures above well done to both off you they look a treat:yahoo: wish mine looked like either off them :mellow: mine when i purchased it looked superb but i think they used something to reduce the fine swirl marks / scratches.:mellow:

65mike.

• Like 1