Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Debica or Avon Tyres - IS250

Hi All,

I need 4 tyres and have been doing a lot of research but need some advise as I am on a budget.

currently I have Bridgestone Potanza all round. Now I have seen Avon Z7 - front 65 (225-45-17) each and rear £95 (245-45-17) however I have also seen Debica tyres which are made by Dunlop and very affordable so can make a saving. Anyone have any advise if Debica is good?

My preference is A for Wet and at least C for fuel in terms of ratings. Also another option is going part worn with good thread at about £45 per tyre for a premium brand.

Any advise please and any good sites as I have seen BlackCircles, ATS, TyreGuru and TyreLeader. I have about 4mm still left on my set.

Thank you 😊 

7 minutes ago, Ishaq said:

Hi All,

I need 4 tyres and have been doing a lot of research but need some advise as I am on a budget.

currently I have Bridgestone Potanza all round. Now I have seen Avon Z7 - front 65 (225-45-17) each and rear £95 (245-45-17) however I have also seen Debica tyres which are made by Dunlop and very affordable so can make a saving. Anyone have any advise if Debica is good?

My preference is A for Wet and at least C for fuel in terms of ratings. Also another option is going part worn with good thread at about £45 per tyre for a premium brand.

Any advise please and any good sites as I have seen BlackCircles, ATS, TyreGuru and TyreLeader. I have about 4mm still left on my set.

Thank you 😊 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132476877173?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I have these on a spare set of wheels pretty good in the wet and hard wearing also. Also do them in the wider rears for not much more money.

Thanks @madasahatter

Falken were my first choice about a month ago, good tyres with good ratings. I was looking for about £250-300 for all four.

Theres another brand Rotalla with very good reviews, good ratings and low price.

• Thanks 1

These: https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/dunlop/sport-bluresponse

£65 a corner fitted and balanced at your local fitting centre is excellent value and they are great in the wet, quieter than most and fuel efficient. Why fit anything else? Seem to last well too.

You only have four small patches of rubber between you and the rest of the world so make sure they are good patches of rubber.

Please don't use part worn tyres. you may be lucky and get some good ones that haven't been bounced on and off kerbs and hit potholes or you may not.

I am not sure where the claim came from re: "Debica tire made by Dunlop". As far as I know Debica are budget (Polish made) tires, Rotalla seems to be one of black circles "generic brands", I cannot even found any info about them or their page. I tend to believe they are cheaply made somewhere in Southern Asia, maybe even by multiple different manufacturers under same "no name brand". If comparing Rotalla vs. Debica I would go with Debica - at least they made in EU with at least some standards in place and maybe at least made by single manufacturer, so consitent. 

Dunlop is part of Goodyear, so say Sportmaxx RT2 and F1 Eagle Asymmetric are sister tires with almost identical ratings. Avon tires are ok, but again Goodyear/Dunlop are much better. IF the difference is like £40 per tire, then fine go with Avon, but in my experience they are like £5 cheaper. For such price I would happily go with Dunlop. I have not seen any Falkens with C/A rating... as well they ten to be much noisier. Dunlops usually are rated for 67/69 dBa, and most of other tires 72/74 dBa.

7 minutes ago, Tyre Tread said:

These: https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/dunlop/sport-bluresponse

£65 a corner fitted and balanced at your local fitting centre is excellent value and they are great in the wet, quieter than most and fuel efficient. Why fit anything else? Seem to last well too.

You only have four small patches of rubber between you and the rest of the world so make sure they are good patches of rubber.

Please don't use part worn tyres. you may be lucky and get some good ones that haven't been bounced on and off kerbs and hit potholes or you may not.

Blue responses not available for 235/245 width, only 225.

Thanks @Tyre Tread 

I very much like Dunlop and has the sportmaxx RT preciously and found them great. But 225 @ £89 is slightly out of my budget this time round unfortunately. Buying a house in 2 months so everything is very tight but tyres change just been identified.

I will definitely not go down the part worn route.

May just get the Rotalla S Pace RU01 - £80 for front and £90 for the rears plus £40 for fitting at local garage...£210 total for all corners. B for Wet and C for and 69 for noise.

Seen these on a S Class Merc the other day. 

So you say £9 makes all that difference - your thing, really not my money so I wouldn't be worried where you will spend it.

little bit of review for Rotalla:

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/08/08/budget-tire-comparison-video-continentals-rotalia-tyre-reviews-youtube-jonathan-benson/

5 minutes ago, Ishaq said:

Thanks @Tyre Tread 

I very much like Dunlop and has the sportmaxx RT preciously and found them great. But 225 @ £89 is slightly out of my budget this time round unfortunately. Buying a house in 2 months so everything is very tight but tyres change just been identified.

I will definitely not go down the part worn route.

May just get the Rotalla S Pace RU01 - £80 for front and £90 for the rears plus £40 for fitting at local garage...£210 total for all corners. B for Wet and C for and 69 for noise.

Seen these on a S Class Merc the other day. 

Now I'm confused. £89 is out of budget but £80 front and £90 rear is OK? A difference of about £20 all in?

Just think about the loss of NCB if you don't stop in time in the wet. Really, £20 for budget versus known label?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tyre Tread said:

Now I'm confused. £89 is out of budget but £80 front and £90 rear is OK? A difference of about £20 all in?

Just think about the loss of NCB if you don't stop in time in the wet. Really, £20 for budget versus known label?

Dunlop is £89 each (£178 pair) for front but Rotalla is £80 for the pair for the front, and £90 was the price I got for the pair rear.

I would normally not thick twice and just go for my brands like I always do..

5 minutes ago, Ishaq said:

Dunlop is £89 each (£178 pair) for front but Rotalla is £80 for the pair for the front, and £90 was the price I got for the pair rear.

I would normally not thick twice and just go for my brands like I always do..

Are those prices inc fitting and balancing?

Yeah fitting and balancing is £10 per tyre.

I work in Liverpool Street in the City and for past week have been noticing the Mercs and 7series BMWs using brand of tyres I never heard of such as Sava, Rotalla and another I thing Farod or something. Maybe they come from factory like this.

I very muchdoubt they leave the factory with cheap tyres as manufacturers have huge buying power so pay little for good quality tyres and tyre companies know that people are likely to fit like for like when replacement is required so happy to do fantastic deals with  them.

Those cheap tyres will have been fitted by second hand car dealers wanting to save a few quid as the cars will have been traded in with shot tyres.

If you're paying £10 a tyre for fitting on top of your quotes prices are you really saving that much compared to the fitted price on the likes of black circles for known brands.#

I'm a cheap skate with most things. Most of my clothes are 10 years old or more but I will pay for quality car components and tyres because I trust my life and the life of family and friends to them on a regular basis.

I know I sound like a right tramp trying to save £20-30 but when you add all four tyres it’s a difference of saving over £100 going for budget tyres.

The high end cars I am talking about with **** tyres are fresh chauffeur 67 plates for large corporate companies CEO’s.

I think I will go for Avon Z7 next week for the front and next month I will do the rears. Thanks for your help.

Based on reviews Avon Z7 doesn't have much miles in them. That is the other thing you need to consider - my Dunlop Sportmaxx now made over 38k miles, I might have saved £100 getting something else, but I would have replaced them twice in that time.

If you watch that video, the guy specifically states that to achieve B in wet Rotalla has used very soft compound. Soft compound = quick wear. 

@Linas.P With your Dunlop’s Sport Max do you notice slip when on full lock? I noticed this and hence went for Bridgestone after the guy in ATS said the Dunlop use soft rubber.

I think that is sort of opposite, Dunlop use hard rubber blocks to improve high speed breaking and stability. I would not judge tire on full lock slip, because obviously on full lock your tire rides on edge. I had strange "noise" few times - almost like scrubbing, but I think that is ball-joint at full lock.

On mine at the moment are a set of Kumho's. The alloy wheels and the tyres were supplied by Lexus new and they told me its one of the brands they now use or have done in the past. They are 18's though.

I have just replaced a front one due to a pot hole at £65 fitted.

Hi all.

Mine has Bridgestone potenza and something else  that Bridgestone make cannot remember name i appreciate that you do not want to spend a fortune on the tyres but bearing in mind you pay for what you get and it is only a small patch off rubber that stops the car in the wet.:wacko:

You say you have 4mm off tread left so you don't really need new tyres just yet the law says 1.6mm minimum i would myself get a bit more out off them you may get another 1000miles before they get to 1.6mm before they need replacing,just my opinion.:yawn:

65mike:yes:

17 minutes ago, 65mike said:

i would myself get a bit more out off them you may get another 1000miles before they get to 1.6mm before they need replacing,just my opinion.:yawn:

65mike:yes:

You wouldn't wear off 4mm to 1.6mm in 1000 miles, more like 10000 miles. Unless we talking about rears and you do burnouts. 

Must admit I didn't notice the 4mm remaining comment. On that basis I'd wait a while and save a few more pennies for better tyres.

I generally run mine down to about 2.5mm so there should be a few thousand more miles left in your existing tyres yet.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links