Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Debica or Avon Tyres - IS250

11 hours ago, Ishaq said:

Thanks for the reply’s guys. Will it be worth giving Lexus a call for tyres?

£65 for Kumho’s fitted is very good price @is200 Newbie where is that from? 

A local garage fits mine - been going there for years and always had good prices. I asked them to match what was on the car but they couldn't this time - they did put a Kumho Ecsta on but it was a newer version. £65 fitted - they are £62 on Black circles.

Can you find a small tyre business and ask them to get the tyres in and fit...alternitavely, have your choice of tyres delivered to a centre to fit.

5 hours ago, The-Acre said:

For what it's worth I have Avons on my Volvo. Without a doubt the best tyres I've ever had.  The wet grip it just amazing, I'd never buy anything else.

By no means I am saying Avon are not good tires, my only reservations is that there are no saving getting them over say Dunlops or other more premium brands e.g. 225/45/R17 ZV7's are now £71, whereas Dunlop Sportmaxx RT2's are £82. All in all that makes £44 saving... - just not enough to make me consider them.

On other hand I just suggested Avon 275/45/R20 ZX7's to my mate on Q7 - total cost of £510, instead of Pirelli £800 and Dunlop £910 - here we are talking saving £300-400. So in short I think Avon, Falken, Kuhmo, Hankoon, Nokian are all good tires ready to challenge any premium brand, but unless they come with at least 30%-40% saving... why wouldn't I just go with the best brands? In perspective of cost of car ownership £40 sounds like negligible amount, for the component which is basically most detrimental when it comes to safety.

25 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

By no means I am saying Avon are not good tires, my only reservations is that there are no saving getting them over say Dunlops or other more premium brands e.g. 225/45/R17 ZV7's are now £71, whereas Dunlop Sportmaxx RT2's are £82. All in all that makes £44 saving... - just not enough to make me consider them.

On other hand I just suggested Avon 275/45/R20 ZX7's to my mate on Q7 - total cost of £510, instead of Pirelli £800 and Dunlop £910 - here we are talking saving £300-400. So in short I think Avon, Falken, Kuhmo, Hankoon, Nokian are all good tires ready to challenge any premium brand, but unless they come with at least 30%-40% saving... why wouldn't I just go with the best brands? In perspective of cost of car ownership £40 sounds like negligible amount, for the component which is basically most detrimental when it comes to safety.

I agree, and we all have different opinions and experiences.  My Volvo came with good tread Pirelli tyres but tramlined really badly to the point I had to change them. My GS has nearly new Michelins but they're fairly noisy.  Eventually we find a tyre that suits us well, for me it's Avon.  I also like the way they're made in the UK!

Actually in total it’s not a saving of £40 it so by going for Dunlop compared to Avon’s as the rear 245 is much. Ore expensive. 

Avon’s have some really good reviews.

There is slight competition for me when choosing Dunlop Sport Maxx RT over Goodyear F1 or Efficientgrip

As mentioned previously, Dunlop and Goodyear uses pretty much same technology, I would go as far as claiming they are same tires, just banged differently to attract respective brand fans, so F1 3 = RT2 and EfficientGrip would be = BluResponse, but later 2 neither have 245 available.

As for Avon it seems the bigger is the tire, the more saving you can make going for Avon, as for tire being british - for me it makes no difference where tire is made as long as it is good tire. Michelin is french - still the best tire available ... sadly quite pricey.

I have just had fitted a pair of Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 2's to the front of mine and am very pleased with them so far.  I noticed less 'hopping' on full lock compared to my old RT's, but there is still some (not that I am too bothered about it either way).  They feel sure footed in the wet and are not too noisy.  My previous set lasted me over 28k miles, which considering the type of driving I do, is very good.

It cost me £163.98 all in.

The rears are considerably more expensive though at ~£120 a tyre.

I do agree though that most premium tyres are good and it is almost down to personal preference as to which to choose.

Just now, Linas.P said:

If labeling is anything to go by they are the one of the quietest tires available to buy (67 dBa).

That would explain why they aren't too noisy then :smile:

However, now looking at the options available I must note that at least on paper 2 tires stands out from the rest:

Sava Intensa UHP 2  - B/A/67dBa £57

Debica Presto UHP 2 - C/A/66dBa £61

Both (as Dunlop) owned by Goodyear Dunlop Tyres... and claims to be inspired by Goodyear technology - I actually learning stuff in this thread and I am quite interested to give them a shot now.

To summarise, after doing some more research, I would be quite confident with Debica and Sava brands as budget alternatives... however I would stay away from Rotalla. 

@Linas.P that’s why I asked for advise as Debica seem to be very good in ratings and made by popular brand. The fronts can be bought for £53 each and rear £65 from TyreLeader and then fitting will be on top.

I myself might just go with Avon’s and front and tears come at a reasonable price for all comers fitted at ATS they price match as well. Sometimes black circles have offer though like this week Kumho are on offer.

Yes.. I never heard of them before, but after some checking around I agree with your initial statement i.e. they can be trusted. I would put Kuhmo = Avon, kind of mid range brand neither exceptionally good, nor anything bad to say about them.

[mention=54622]Linas.P[/mention] that’s why I asked for advise as Debica seem to be very good in ratings and made by popular brand. The fronts can be bought for £53 each and rear £65 from TyreLeader and then fitting will be on top.
I myself might just go with Avon’s and front and tears come at a reasonable price for all comers fitted at ATS they price match as well. Sometimes black circles have offer though like this week Kumho are on offer.

Goodyear asymmetric 3 are absolutely superb. I had Bridgestone on. These blow them out the water.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Right..just saw an Aston Martin with Avon tyres :yes:

I’m all booked in for fronts this weekend at ATS for £134 fitted for the pair.

Then will do rears next month!

Thank you for all the advise guys, will let you know how I get on.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: So I must say the Avon Tyres are the best I have tried compared to Dunlop Sport Maxx RT and my previous Bridgestone Potenza. 

The grip is excellent in the dry and recently tried in the rain and was excellent too.

the ride is much softer which I like and noise levels are hugely reduced. My car feels like it’s gliding over the road, living it! AThe luxury feel is back - Highly recommended!

I am getting the rears next weekend can’t wait. Was going to put the Azon ZV7’s in the parts section as recommended but it’s already there.

Seriously give it a go, you won’t be disappointed.

Most importantly there is no more hopping on full lick for me, tried everything and still not hopping 😁

One interesting think I noticed on my Dunlop Sportmaxx RT's recently - "made in Poland"... wait a second where did you say Debica came from?? Maybe conspiracy theory, but I would not be surprised if Dunlops are made on exactly the same line.

5 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

One interesting think I noticed on my Dunlop Sportmaxx RT's recently - "made in Poland"... wait a second where did you say Debica came from?? Maybe conspiracy theory, but I would not be surprised if Dunlops are made on exactly the same line.

You said Debica was made in Poland, they are from the Dunlop group. I went for Avon’s in the end. 

Hiqonline sell Sava tyres for cheap, also made by Dunlop and excellent ratings.

I am well happy with my Avon’s!

When you look at well known brands of tyres, they all perform pretty much the same. The cheaper brands are usually not quite as good.

This chap has a lot of experience in tyres, and gives some good advice.

• Haha 1

This guy is more Australian Clarkson alike, more then consumer adviser. I watch him often - he recently had very good shot at diesel vs. petrol application and buying decision - very balanced and not at all diesel-gate shaming. 

This specific video lacks a bit of substance (we all know that premium brands are actually better and more expensive for reason).. my summary would be - do your research before buying. One thing he said wrong in the end of video is that tire manufacturers use "mold release compound"... Yes they did it until like 90's .. Chinese might still do it.. but no premium car manufacturer uses anything like that any longer.. nowadays molds are cnc-machined and mirror polished, so any release agents are redundant. 

15 hours ago, Linas.P said:

This guy is more Australian Clarkson alike, more then consumer adviser.

God forbid that there should be another Clarkson, he is one person I refuse to watch.

When buying tyres our Ozzie friend does give some good advice. ....Don't ask for advice from the tyre retailer, as they will advise you to buy the brand they get

the best discount on.

Most of the top brands will give you a very similar performance, while cheap brands give you inferior performance.  There's no such thing as a  "quiet" tyre.

Are there any people who still goes to physic tyre store and buys tyres that way?! I never been in one or asked for any advise, always check details online, order online for 45% less... just going near tyre shop is asking for trouble... and disinformation. 

So for me what he said is sort of obvious.. as for quiet tyres... some are certainly quieter then others e.g. I feel noticeable difference between my old Dunlop Sportmaxx RT's (67dB) and current ones which were fitted to wheels when I bought them Dunlop SP Sportmaxx 050 (72bB)... those 050 shi* to be honest, but it would be wrong to throw them away with over 6mm of thread still remaining. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:17 PM, Ishaq said:

UPDATE: So I must say the Avon Tyres are the best I have tried compared to Dunlop Sport Maxx RT and my previous Bridgestone Potenza. 

The grip is excellent in the dry and recently tried in the rain and was excellent too.

the ride is much softer which I like and noise levels are hugely reduced. My car feels like it’s gliding over the road, living it! AThe luxury feel is back - Highly recommended!

I am getting the rears next weekend can’t wait. Was going to put the Azon ZV7’s in the parts section as recommended but it’s already there.

Seriously give it a go, you won’t be disappointed.

Most importantly there is no more hopping on full lick for me, tried everything and still not hopping 😁

I have an IS 220d and today noticed my goodyear efficient grip tyres from 2015 are cracking in the tread. I'm going to replace them even though must have 5mm left and considering Avon ZV7's at £55 each fitted in tyre size 205/55/16.

See the cracks here, Volvo always. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281806&page=3

How are you finding them now?

James.:thumbsup:

@JamesIS220 Yeah they great and I would recommend the Avon ZV7. Thanks to the UK weather I have had the chance to experience them in heavy rain and sun, and they handle very well.

the ride is much better and softer also at full lock I don’t get the hopping anymore so bonus.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 6:12 PM, JamesIS220 said:

It would be waste to throw tires in such condition, the crack in picture are only surface and doesn't compromise the integrity of the tire.

That is how throw away looks like... e.g. structural damage:

Image result for cracking tire

Old rubber:

Image result for cracking tire

• Like 1

Thank you both for your replies.:thumbsup:

I'll be getting the car serviced soon and I'll see what my MOT tester thinks of the cracks. If a non MOT fail, and safe I'll leave them.

Thanks. James:thumbsup: