Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How long do discs and pads last

I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string question' but on average what sort of mileage do people get out of pads and discs.  My 2012 RX has done just shy of 44,000 miles.  Still on original pads and discs all round.  Very minimal lip on the front discs and rears are even less.

Being a hybrid will mean most of the braking will be regenerative, so not physical pad on disc friction. Unless you do a lot of very heavy stops the pads and discs should last a considerable mileage.

As John correctly states, depends on your driving style, I got rid of my 15 year old Mercedes last year, had since new, still on original pads and discs with 55K miles on clock when sold. It will be interesting to see if the Lexus will be heavier on the brakes as my driving style will not change. I would say if you have already 44K miles on pads on discs then your driving style is spot on, anticipating the road ahead. I'm pretty sure the AA web site states if a car is driven in the proper manner , then one should expect at least 55K miles before requiring new pads.    

I had 80k miles from the front pads and discs on my Alhambra. Only ever managed 25k pads and 40k discs on my Mercedes C270. 

There's more to it than just driving style but that will obviously heavily influence their life. Hybrids tend to be very economical on pads and discs. 

The rear discs are more likely to corrode and need replacing than because of actual wear. If you manage your braking to occur mainly via the hybrid system then they will last a very long time. It is actually recommended that you perform some hard stops every month or so to make sure the mechanical brakes get some use and don't seize up.

Also check and relube the slider pins every year.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the very useful replies.  I tend to be very easy on brakes so hopefully will get at least 80k. I've had a look on the 'how to' forum on greasing the sliders so that will be one of my jobs now that spring has arrived (hopefully!).  Did I read somewhere about using red rubber grease for the slider pins rather than Copper Ease, molybdenum, etc.

You certainly shouldn't use cooper grease on the sliding pins, only on the back of the pads to stop squeal and even that isn't the best choice. RRG also isn't really recommended.

this is the recommended grease:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dow-Corning-Molykote-G3407-Caliper-Guide-Sliding-Pin-Grease-25g/323207354906?hash=item4b40a8da1a:g:RqMAAOSw-NFav434

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-GREASE-CALIPER-PIN-GREASE-BRAKE-PAD-LUBRICANT-PROSLIP/253509579387?hash=item3b0659327b:g:5yEAAOSwD4lasYvf

Thanks Colin.  I didn't know there was a special grease just for pins.  I've looked at the links so will order some once spring comes back: it's raining again!

Love it. I've just leant about greasing pins!

I recall my old Citroen DS was so front-brake oriented that the rears sometimes seized for lack of use-you had to remember at MOT time!

Memories of driving barefoot with just big toe operating the brake BUTTON!