Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Top up your Aircon now, big price rise comming

Haylands

If you need your aircon recharging get it done ASAP, 

The price of the gas has TRIPPLED and some places are charging £130 + to refil a system, shop around and some are still at the old prices...

6 hours ago, Haylands said:

If you need your aircon recharging get it done ASAP, 

The price of the gas has TRIPPLED and some places are charging £130 + to refil a system, shop around and some are still at the old prices...

Interesting. Any reason as to why its tripled in price?

I know that some places charge like £80-100 anyway.

Having said that, its not something that needs doing all the time - if the AC is left on permanently, it should be OK for atleast 5 years if not more

Don't know, was phoning around and got told it several times... most places round here charged about £40-£50 before the price rise... even KwickCrap is less than £50 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, rayaans said:

Having said that, its not something that needs doing all the time - if the AC is left on permanently, it should be OK for atleast 5 years if not more

Not necessarily.

I had my car services at Lexus Reading yesterday and they told me that my car needed a regas, even though the air was cold.

The reason was that they had checked the compressor and the system had no (or very little) oil in it.  The service guy advised me that if your air con system isn't refilled every 2 years, you run the risk of compressor failure, even though it is probably still full of R134a gas.

Anyway, I got mine done at an F1 Autocentre today and it turns out that it had 278g of the total 460g required in it.  So, it was probably worthwhile doing either way (although I am not sure how long it has been since my last air con service).

Incidently, it cost me £48, which is much more reasonable than the £119 Lexus wanted.

So, for such a nominal amount, I would say it is a good idea to get it checked every 2 years, especially when you consider how much a new compressor will set you back.

• Like 1

I wasn’t aware you could check the small amount of oil in the AC system without first connecting up to the AC recovery machine, remove the coolant gas, remove the compressor, drain the very small amount of oil and then comparing it to the manufacturers recommended amount required.

I think someone has been telling you fibs.

https://itstillruns.com/check-oil-air-conditioning-compressor-7540831.html

I agree that it sounds suspicious.

Either way, I think the point is still valid, which is that even though your air con might be blowing cold, it doesn't mean it doesn't need a regas for lubrication purposes.

I do wonder if there is a correlation between lack of gas refills and compressor failures?

14 hours ago, Shahpor said:

I agree that it sounds suspicious.

Either way, I think the point is still valid, which is that even though your air con might be blowing cold, it doesn't mean it doesn't need a regas for lubrication purposes.

I do wonder if there is a correlation between lack of gas refills and compressor failures?

The low pressure switch should stop the compressor running in the event of low gas pressure to prevent the compressor seizing. A week ago a regas cost me £45 on My IS 220d. It's lovely in this weather!

When I bought my 1996 Volvo 940 SE lpt 18 months ago the AC didn't work. I had a diagnostic done and leaking from compressor and condenser. Got lucky with a used compressor, £35 and bought a new nissens condenser for £65. Fitted it and thankfully working AC last summer.

Unfortunately the AC condenser clamp wept a bit after a few weeks and the 500g that put in only lasted 5 months until pressure switch cut in. It should have 950g but we didn't know how much it takes. The clamp isn't available now as car 21 years old and American ones not the same.

I will get the AC man to degass the rest, change the O rings again and re-gas this Tuesday.

I think it's very important to use the AC yearly to keep the seals lubricated etc.

James:smile: