Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Considering a CT200h - Advice needed please

Guest rdb85

Guest rdb85

So as many of you know I have been looking for an IS250 SE-L for a while, I am still waiting for one to come up locally. So I thought I would look at one of these, as an option, can anyone give me some advice on them?

• What would be the best spec to get?
  • MPG figures?
  • The cost to fill up the tank?
  • Any areas to look out for?
  • Worth buying one with a warranty?

Thanks,

Rob

2 hours ago, stevet said:

Not my thing but they have just announced a new model there could be some good deals on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is 2 years away so will be some time before those deals are available. 

Personally I would forget about looking for a CT200h and continue your search for an IS250 SE-L. 

Having drove both vehicles I can say the IS250 is far superior in every way.

Sure you will save on fuel costs but it's nowhere near as comfortable to drive not to mention dreadful performance. 

Trust me you will be disappointed if you buy this over the 250.

• Like 1

I have a Jag XF R Sport 3.0d as my main driver and as we all know Diesel and petrol only cars are about as popular as square wheels at the moment. My wife has just bought a 2014 CT200h Advance front and rear park assist sat nav etc. I went up to Lexus Liecester on the train to pick it up and was very impressed with the drive home. The upside is great fuel economy, Zero road Tax for life as long as you buy pre 2017, it has just been voted car of the year with reliability of 94% and only very minor faults reported by the other6%. Residual values are very high and Lexus add another year warranty on the hybrid drive system each time you have the yearly health check which shows how confident they are in the system.

Great looking hatch back and no problems going into the major cities when next years pollution charges start lol! Still hard to get my head round the silent low speed running when on Battery and the sat nav isn't the easiest to sort out. It will not get the adrenalin pumping performance wise but is on a par with most similar sized cars, I think it will be a car that grows on us more with use, and when I look at the overall yearly running costs :wink3:

• Like 1

IS250 SEL or badge engineered luxury auris hybrid? Hmm. Keep looking for a 250 if a 250 type Lexus is what you are looking for. The CT200 doesn't compare to any other Lexus model:they aren't a development of the CT200 neither is the CT200 a development of any other Lexus.

I suppose it is comparing apples with oranges, the CT is great as a city/short trip car where emissions and fuel cost come into play, easy to park and easier on the eye and a bit different from most of the other hatch backs.

I have never been able to quite put my finger on what market the IS was aimed at, like all the Lexus range it has plenty of kerb appeal and the Lexus quality goes without saying. It still didn't tick many other boxes though with high vehicle tax, limited rear passenger space,  thirsty petrol engine and at 204bhp a 6 cylinder motor with 4 cylinder performance. I think now it has been dropped and the IS300 hybrid is on board with similar performance and only 30% of the running costs the IS250 will be available  at bargain prices for the astute buyer :yahoo:

Hi Rob,

I am not an expert on cars or Lexus. But I do need a reliable motor.

I bought one 2012 model last year and have been driving it since then.

Car has now 88k on the clock.

I do around 330 miles a week, swindon <-> Cambridge, in between I use it for commuting to work and other social stuff. All together around 330 miles a week.

motorway speed (from 50-70 mph on 3 motorways, M4, M25, M11 and then Cambridge and vice versa) I average around 60-64 MPG - in normal mode. Commuting to work in town I use the sport mode, just to be nippy around roundabouts. it still use EV mode in slow traffic. MY MPG drops to 58 MPG if I do long stretches (tested it once in sport mode).

by the time I get home at the end of the week, I still have a quarter of the tank. Filling it up these days around £35-£40. For the above trip each week, it uses around <=30 litres.

it need servicing every 8 months based on the above trip. it has been serviced by Lexus Swindon.  no problems so far. You need to watch out for the brake discs. They wear out more than others. a pair cost me £500 including brake pads and other stuff (can't remember). it is not a frequent occurrence but it does happen more than other cars.

I bought it with Lexus extended warranty (includes excellent road side assistance and you can also add another driver for free), Lexus insurance, and I pay monthly for my services (3 yearly, one major and 2 minors services and MOTs). They all worked out cheaper for me than 3rd parties.

I have the one with Navigation, and it is hilarious :-) I have a funny accent, and the command Go Home becomes a search for Golf Club :-). it manages my phone pretty good and I can make and receive calls with excellent clarity.

in a build up areas such as Cambridge with large population of cyclists and in traffic you have to be extra careful and keep your distance as they cannot hear the car when it goes in EV mode, same goes for pedestrians and birds in the middle of the road.

hope this helps.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2018 at 12:29 PM, Jamalaya said:

in a build up areas such as Cambridge with large population of cyclists and in traffic you have to be extra careful and keep your distance as they cannot hear the car when it goes in EV mode, same goes for pedestrians and birds in the middle of the road.

I live in Cambs and work in Cambridge. Most cyclists seem to be plugged into their own ipod world and cant hear conventional engined cars let alone a hybrid. Using the hooter for the function which it is meant for ie "i am here" is often met with cyclist abuse in Cambridge. ( highway code rule 112-Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn. while stationary on the road; when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am. except when another road user poses a danger.)

Cyclists mostly would pass the cycling proficiency test I remember my teachers running at school 50 years ago but most of them chose to ignore the codes and rules.

Owning a CT doesn't endanger cyclists any more than owning any other machine. Horses seem to be the only thing which cyclists will respect.... I guess this is because they know that horses will dish out rough justice with no forethought, malice or argument. frighten a horse by travelling too close to it and the horse will kick whatever it feels threatened by. Those of you who have been FUBARed by a horse kick will know what I mean.

Instead of driving a CT through Cambridge or riding a push bike, do like the police do when there's a throng which need a firm hand ... ride a horse!

Original poster,  did you find a 250 yet?

On 17/04/2018 at 3:19 PM, rdb85 said:

So as many of you know I have been looking for an IS250 SE-L for a while, I am still waiting for one to come up locally. So I thought I would look at one of these, as an option, can anyone give me some advice on them?

• What would be the best spec to get?
  • MPG figures?
  • The cost to fill up the tank?
  • Any areas to look out for?
  • Worth buying one with a warranty?

Thanks,

Rob

* the best spec is the one that meets your needs i.e. some have nav and some dont the nav have a screen without nav no screen

even if you dont want nav i would go for one with a screen

* i used to return 60mpg +/- 3 mpg

* it has a 45ltr or 10 gallon tank

* make sure the recalls have been completed

* you can always buy an extended warranty for £495 for 2 yrs inc AA roadside assistance

if the car doesnt come with a long warranty.

On 4/29/2018 at 9:08 AM, 200h said:

* the best spec is the one that meets your needs i.e. some have nav and some dont the nav have a screen without nav no screen

even if you dont want nav i would go for one with a screen

* i used to return 60mpg +/- 3 mpg

* it has a 45ltr or 10 gallon tank

* make sure the recalls have been completed

* you can always buy an extended warranty for £495 for 2 yrs inc AA roadside assistance

if the car doesnt come with a long warranty.

Considering the cost of AA home start etc. Less than 250 a year is great value