Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400h - not in the best condition

Hi, Wondering what peoples thoughts are on not doing the 100,000mile timing belt, water pump and tensioner change?

For a bit of background we bought our Rx400h about 18months ago.  Well looked after mechanically but in poor condition (body work).  Since then, my wife has bumped it against a metal post (needs new front bumper), and it was scraped by a van at her works carpark, needing the rear quarter and door respray (starting to rust from light scratches).  Also a previous repair the the other side rear quarter (accident from the previous owners, owner) is starting to rust through the paintwork.  Car is a 2005, base spec (aftermarket rear parking sensors) model and has just broken 100,000 miles.  we are looking to change it to either a Rx450h (gen 1), or Mitsibishi Phev, when money allows (prob next year).  I know there are no guarantees, just interested to know if people think it is brave or stupid...

For note I have one service receipt in the history about 3 years ago that states 'timing belt', but it isn't clear if it was changed, or put on as a reminder.  The bill is only for £180 so I suspect reminder...

When I had the timing belt changed on my wife's old RX300 (series I) it looked like new. They are unlikely to fail until 130k to 150k miles. Not sure if it is possible to remove a cover to inspect the belt, but I'd do that every 6 months to see if there is any wear.

In theory the 400h engine does a lot less revolutions in 100k miles compared to a petrol model so should last even longer.

But you are taking a risk though, the engine is an interference design which means if the timing belt fails you will suffer expensive engine damage.

The Water pump doesn't need changing at 100k miles. Keep an eye on coolant level / leaks as they typically fail in this way first rather than a catastrophic failure.

I changed mine on a 2004 RX300 110k miles last month.  Belt looked excellent.  No sign of wear or cracks.  Could have probably gone over 150k miles easily.

I wouldn't sweat it especially if you are planning to sell next yr.

My RX is for the wife and we are expecting another 10yrs of trouble free motoring from the car now all the major bits have been done.

The gen 2 RX is probably the best value car out there for price, comfort, space and reliability.

The Gen 4 RX and NX will be my next cars but I will wait till both halve in value at current used prices.

Thanks Guys for the responses, it is re-assuring that the belts seem ok even after the recommended surface intervals..  hopefully last until she saves up enough money (or I convince her to take a loan out).

• 2 weeks later...
When I had the timing belt changed on my wife's old RX300 (series I) it looked like new. They are unlikely to fail until 130k to 150k miles. Not sure if it is possible to remove a cover to inspect the belt, but I'd do that every 6 months to see if there is any wear.
In theory the 400h engine does a lot less revolutions in 100k miles compared to a petrol model so should last even longer.
But you are taking a risk though, the engine is an interference design which means if the timing belt fails you will suffer expensive engine damage.
The Water pump doesn't need changing at 100k miles. Keep an eye on coolant level / leaks as they typically fail in this way first rather than a catastrophic failure.

Hello sir.

Just wondering what an interference design? I have no engineering background, but I was just interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, ISJason said:

Hello sir.

Just wondering what an interference design? I have no engineering background, but I was just interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It means basically if the belt snaps then the pistons are going to hit valves etc. and just about destroy the engine non interference engines allegedly do not do any damage if the belt snaps.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links