Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MPG on IS 300h etc.

As a low mileage user I keep a record of every fill up and over the first 4430 miles I used 371 litres of Shell V Power which works out at 54.2 MPG. 

60+ is achievable during the summer months but this falls off to the low 50's in the winter. Most of my driving is A/B roads with the odd short trip and short motorway runs.

Well having owned an IS300h F-sport  2015 with only 18k on the clock for the last 8 months I cant say I was impressed with the MPG.

Just returned from a round trip of 296 motorway miles and reading 39.2 MPG. today

The best I have ever achieved with it is 41.2mpg and that was trying very hard to get the most MPG out of it.

Quite disappointing really!

Lexus is300h f-sport is a great car but I don't believe the MPG claimed is achievable in the real world by a long stretch.

MPG is not the main factor for getting rid of it though, I just don't find the car very engaging to drive but its been nice to try one.

Pick up a  new car on Friday .

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Zotto said:

Accordingly to spritmonitor data IS owners averaged about 43 mpg, so may be you have a bit heavy right foot.

I drove it very like Miss Daisy to get over 40MPG I can assure you. Not slating the car it is obviously just not for me.

33 minutes ago, matt8 said:

It's the F Sport. I have one and am getting what bigjimg gets. Not overly fussed though.

What car are you going for instead @bigjimg?

Ehmm well Nissan 370z, already have a 350z so maybe hybrids aint for me lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigjimg said:

Well having owned an IS300h F-sport  2015 with only 18k on the clock for the last 8 months I cant say I was impressed with the MPG.

Just returned from a round trip of 296 motorway miles and reading 39.2 MPG. today

The best I have ever achieved with it is 41.2mpg and that was trying very hard to get the most MPG out of it.

Quite disappointing really!

Lexus is300h f-sport is a great car but I don't believe the MPG claimed is achievable in the real world by a long stretch.

MPG is not the main factor for getting rid of it though, I just don't find the car very engaging to drive but its been nice to try one.

Pick up a  new car on Friday .

Not sure what settings you use but I have a 300h Executive and on long motorway journeys average between 48 and 52 (measured by the on board computer) depending on traffic and temperature - when a clear motorway that's not hanging around either. I generally leave mine in Eco on the motorway and use cruise control a lot (as there is little need for blasting it around). If I drop speed to just below 70mph then can push towards 55mpg on a temperate day. I have tried driving for a while in Sport and noticed quite a drop in mpg even driving the same speed/way and even in Normal mpg is definitely down a bit on Eco. So I tend to opt for Eco for long runs. 

I find my IS300h great on the motorway, entering from a motorway services is impressive as it pulls very quickly all the way, I find Sport mode is better for responsiveness, but use cruise control most of the time.  The day I picked up my car, I reset the meters, and sat at an indicated 70mph and it showed an average of 58mpg.

On my journeys up to Scotland (350 mile each way), I tend to get high 40s, nudging 50s, with 48 being the norm, I actually find it better on the motorway than round town, maybe my right foot is too heavy.

Vince

18 hours ago, bigjimg said:

The actual chassis/suspension set up on the IS300H is superb, in stock form I rate it above my old 335i and 350Z. But the hybrid drivetrain is abysmal if your looking for fun. For M way/day to day driving its fine, but in over 3 years of ownership ours have never been taken out for a Sunday blast, its just not fun to throw around a B road, real shame we never got the IS350 here in the UK :(.

But I cannot critise the mpg you can achieve on a long run. You can get nearly 60mpg which having to use the hypermile.

16623601088_f80b3bde7e_z_d.jpg

• Like 1

A lot will depend on your style of driving, and your expectations.

We bought the is300 for comfort and reliability.  We have not been disappointed.

1 hour ago, ganzoom said:

The actual chassis/suspension set up on the IS300H is superb, in stock form I rate it above my old 335i and 350Z. But the hybrid drivetrain is abysmal if your looking for fun. For M way/day to day driving its fine, but in over 3 years of ownership ours have never been taken out for a Sunday blast, its just not fun to throw around a B road, real shame we never got the IS350 here in the UK :(.

But I cannot critise the mpg you can achieve on a long run. You can get nearly 60mpg which having to use the hypermile.

16623601088_f80b3bde7e_z_d.jpg

I came to the IS 300h from a long line of BMWs - my last one being a 330i. Much as the 330i was a good drivers car with - a) constant roadworks on the motorways b) permanently congested A and B roads c) proliferation of ridiculously low speed limits enforced by an ever increasing number of fixed, mobile, average cameras d) the crumbling road network, e) increasing fuel prices and stupid VED decisions - after a day's test drive I was sold on the IS 300h. For this real world day to day driving the car and it's hybrid drive train really deliver. In fact I now look forward to driving again as the car is to me a perfect fit for what I have to face each day I go anywhere. I live in the South East and I can see if you live in a more remote part of the country there may be other factors but I wouldn't hesitate buying another IS 300h. A friend has a BMW 335d - very quick but in comparison sounds like a tractor and does not deliver the relaxing experience of the IS 300h in the cut and thrust of modern congested roads. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding road (tyre) noise, are some tyres really better than others in this respect ?

My is300h came with Yokohama tyres, (the ones with rim protection) and I do notice a lot of road noise, which changes depending on road surface.

I'm not about to change 4 otherwise perfectly good tyres (yet). I do unfortunately have to wear hearing aids, so maybe

that has some bearing on the issue ?  I shall have to try turning them off, which will also filter out my wife 😄

1 hour ago, Hadrian said:

Regarding road (tyre) noise, are some tyres really better than others in this respect ?

My is300h came with Yokohama tyres, (the ones with rim protection) and I do notice a lot of road noise, which changes depending on road surface.

I'm not about to change 4 otherwise perfectly good tyres (yet). I do unfortunately have to wear hearing aids, so maybe

that has some bearing on the issue ?  I shall have to try turning them off, which will also filter out my wife 😄

Everything you need to know about noise ratings is contained herein Alan

https://www.blackcircles.com/general/tyre-labelling/tyre-label

6 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Everything you need to know about noise ratings is contained herein Alan

https://www.blackcircles.com/general/tyre-labelling/tyre-label

Thanks for that, some of the comments make interesting reading. I know there are already a number of threads on here regarding tyres,

but are some tyres a lot quieter than others ?.  Actually in the car that is, rather than being measured at the roadside ?

1 hour ago, Hadrian said:

Thanks for that, some of the comments make interesting reading. I know there are already a number of threads on here regarding tyres,

but are some tyres a lot quieter than others ?.  Actually in the car that is, rather than being measured at the roadside ?

I have Kumho All Weather Solus 17 inch on the Lexus and Michelin PRIMACY 16 inch on the E class .Both are very quiet tyres to my hearing abilities. 

19 hours ago, Hadrian said:

Yes, tyres do make a massive improvement in some cases.

From what I understand, the OEM Yokohamas are quite noisy

Yes I can confirm that.

The question is, do I spend in the region of £300 to get what I hope are quieter tyres  ?

Decisions, decisions  ☹️

4 minutes ago, Hadrian said:

Yes I can confirm that.

The question is, do I spend in the region of £300 to get what I hope are quieter tyres  ?

Decisions, decisions  ☹️

I probably wouldn't change them until they've worn out to be honest

• Like 1

Just now, rayaans said:

I probably wouldn't change them until they've worn out to be honest

There's loads of tread on them, the car only has 21,000 on the clock, so I expect they are still the original tyres.

Are Yokohama what they usually supply as standard ?

12 minutes ago, Hadrian said:

There's loads of tread on them, the car only has 21,000 on the clock, so I expect they are still the original tyres.

Are Yokohama what they usually supply as standard ?

Either Yokohamas, Bridgestones or dunlops

Depends on the trim - F-Sport and Premier usually came with Bridgestones/Dunlop. Luxury, Advance and Executive came with Yokohamas

ive had my IS300h for about 3 weeks now and all my use is around town.

Eco on and the air con on for quite a lot of the time I am getting between 48-52mpg which im happy with as my average journey is about 3 miles at a time and a lot of stop start driving

I am  averaging over 50 mpg , ven on motorways through Europe , going up hills it cam drop to 34 mpg but you will go down hill at the highest I got was 72 mpg . 

Driving to France & Italy soon in Sport -Mode.

Was impressed with the fuel return on my last trip, in my previous IS F- Sport, where I averaged near 50 mpg over 3000 miles  despite mountain -up figures of 25 & 90mph+ figures of 35.

600 mile daily hops to Geneva--Florence--Verona aid economy of course & in my ISF I achieved under similar circumstances.

All figures are car data- based.

Tel