Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MPG on IS 300h etc.

On 5/24/2018 at 11:42 AM, rayaans said:

Either Yokohamas, Bridgestones or dunlops

Depends on the trim - F-Sport and Premier usually came with Bridgestones/Dunlop. Luxury, Advance and Executive came with Yokohamas

I've decided to bite the bullet and am getting a set of Dunlop Sports.  I just hope I notice the difference, they certainly can't be any noisier than the

Yokohamas.  It just doesn't seem right that my Ford BMax is quieter than my Lexus.

I did likewise (to front only) and have found the Dunlop do give a quieter ride.  But they don't have the Yokahama protective rim so have to be careful with kerb parking!

The Dunlops are definitely quieter,  so a good investment. Someone did say to me to inflate them slightly over the recommended pressure as that helps too.

(Obviously not too much, before anyone says anything) . Although I would have imagined that would have the opposite effect ?

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to MPG on the is300h.  We are just back from a week on the South Coast, near Lymington (we live near Southend in Essex).  I filled up just before leaving,

did over 500 miles during the week,  got home without having to buy any more petrol,  and still have some left in the tank. On the way down I had it up to 60mpg at one point.

By the time we got home it was a fraction over 54 mpg (on display), which I am quite happy with.

One more point. Has anyone managed to get all of the bars on the Battery indicator lit up blue ?  The best I've had, is all lit up except for one.

I live in quite a hilly area, had all bars full frequently, which is annoying as when it's 100% full and you are still going down hill it turns the engine on (I assume to protect the Battery from over charging). 

On 6/18/2018 at 6:57 AM, darrude said:

I live in quite a hilly area, had all bars full frequently, which is annoying as when it's 100% full and you are still going down hill it turns the engine on (I assume to protect the battery from over charging). 

I've only managed a few times in my CT on long downhill runs and its the same - the engine starts, but how does this help?

I think the engine stays on at high speed (motorway) because if you needed to accelerate, the car is ready to go. Electric motor and Battery may be overly strained at such speeds.

If you were full bars, going down hill and were travelling at less than 45 mph or so, I think the engine would happily stay switched off. This is my experience any how.

These hybrid systems are so carefully engineered and thought through, that no stone has been left unturned. Everything is intentional from my experience thus far.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, matt8 said:

If you were full bars, going down hill and were travelling at less than 45 mph or so, I think the engine would happily stay switched off. This is my experience any how.

My experience is the same as @darrude if I'm coasting down a hill below 45 the engine starts when the Battery tops out.  I wonder if it's to provide engine braking in lieu of the regen?

If the car is in regen, i.e. such as going down a long hill, when the Battery is full and can take no more charge then the engine turns to provide an alternative load.

The energy has to go somewhere - conservation of energy.

Vince

I’ve been driving an 18 plate IS300h as a courtesy car for 10 days and counting while my GS450h is getting parts fitted.

It’s covered around 6,800 miles and when I got in it at the dealership the trip computer indicated 45 mpg, but in my (clearly less than capable) hands it’s now running at about 38 mpg. It’s on Yokohama tyres and 17 inch wheels.

It’s a strange thing the IS300h. Very tidy and commendable handling coupled with an entirely unpredictable power plant. Sometimes it feels genuinely quick and other times it feels asthmatic.

Also, the fake engine noise and fake rev counter are simply terrible affectations and I’m glad they can be switched off. [emoji106]

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

On 6/21/2018 at 6:59 PM, matt8 said:

These hybrid systems are so carefully engineered and thought through, that no stone has been left unturned. Everything is intentional from my experience thus far.

Not speed related, I have had the engine just come on as the car is about to stop.  My assumption would be the car is using the traction motor to turn the ice to avoid overcharging.  

22 minutes ago, darrude said:

Not speed related, I have had the engine just come on as the car is about to stop.  My assumption would be the car is using the traction motor to turn the ice to avoid overcharging.  

Or simply starting to maintain engine temperature?

16 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Or simply starting to maintain engine temperature?

I don't think so, but could be using waste energy to create heat, if I come off the M62 at J22 (highest point of the highest motorway), and it is pretty much downhill for 5 miles the road follows the river down for a further 5 miles (to my mums house at least).  If I deliberately drive to depreciate the Battery at the top of the hill I can do the entire stretch on electrical power alone, without the engine kicking in once.  If I don't, and start the downhill bit with quite a bit of charge and/or drive a bit quicker to use the engine, charging the Battery, then near the bottom of the hill the engine will kick in when the Battery is full.  I used to commute this way and consciously tried depleting the Battery to stop the engine from kicking in.

It came on this morning at the bottom of a hill (hot day, engine upto temperature and heating / climate was off). 

On 6/21/2018 at 9:19 PM, Odysseus said:

<snip>

Also, the fake engine noise and fake rev counter are simply terrible affectations and I’m glad they can be switched off. emoji106.png

Agree on the fake engine noise - terrible!

The rev counter however is real. This space on the cluster can actually show 1 of 2 things: A power meter or a rev clock. I don't like the power meter and now have the revclock on permanent display (it normally only comes on when you go into power mode). It's real - the indicated revs are actual engine revolution values. The only "funny" is when the revs drop to zero when you are driving - that's when the car is powered by the electrics.

Regarding the fake engine noise. After having the IS300h for a while (I'm now on my second one) I found that the engine sound was useful and much more than the gimmick I first assumed. Driving over country roads quite quickly using shift mode and the paddles, I once or twice after slowing down to a crawl, forgot I was in 6th gear. You get quite shock when you floor the pedal and hardly anything happens! (It takes the car ages to pick up in a high gear). I found that whenever driving in such conditions and in shift mode, it's a good idea to use the engine noise as one gets some 'feedback' as to what's going on under the bonnet; you can thus 'feel' that you need to change up/down at the appropriate times.

39 minutes ago, chris24 said:

Regarding the fake engine noise. After having the IS300h for a while (I'm now on my second one) I found that the engine sound was useful and much more than the gimmick I first assumed. Driving over country roads quite quickly using shift mode and the paddles, I once or twice after slowing down to a crawl, forgot I was in 6th gear. You get quite shock when you floor the pedal and hardly anything happens! (It takes the car ages to pick up in a high gear). I found that whenever driving in such conditions and in shift mode, it's a good idea to use the engine noise as one gets some 'feedback' as to what's going on under the bonnet; you can thus 'feel' that you need to change up/down at the appropriate times.

For the 1% of owners that use manual mode, the fake sound is useful. 

I’d have more time for the fake engine sound if Lexus embraced the fact it’s pretend and gave you choices about what sound you wanted.
V10 F1 car?
AMG V8?
Spitfire?
Tractor?
The list of possibilities is endless!

I would probably have the fake engine noise on if, it turned off with the engine (EV mode) and if it didn't sound so bloody loud at motorway speeds (I know you can change the volume, but for it to make enough difference to detract from engine drone at low speed, it's bloody irritating at high speed, and I can't be bothered fiddling with it.

If it's true that only 1% of owners ever use shift mode, I must say I'm surprised. I love to drive in this mode which also makes the car quicker off the mark (especially if also in sport mode). I also use 'temporary' shift mode every time I go out (but we live in a pretty hilly and rural area!). The IS300h gives so many options in the way it can be driven that I'd never want to go back to an 'ordinary' car. Most of the criticism I read of this model... negative comparisons with BMWs etc., almost always comes from people who just don't understand how the IS works and how to use a CVT hybrid drive car properly to get the best performance and economy. Although I'm happy to get mid 40s per gallon running around home (UK in summer time), I have no trouble getting the car to do 50+ if i drive carefully, and 60+ on a longer journey (without ever going below speed limits on motorways etc).

Chris

2014 IS300h F Sport 

According to my fuelly log,  I'm averaging 7.6 l/100km (37mpg) since I bought my car last September, about 16,000km (10k miles).

I do a lot of short school runs (~4km each way) which kills consumption. Over the last few months it has improved to 42-44mpg due to the weather.  Snow,  cold and wet winter months really hurt consumption too. Can exceed 50mpg on longer motorway runs (>150km) on cruise control. 

• Like 1

I’ve just done a run from Plymouth to Bristol, about 125 miles, 75mph all the way on the cruise control, three up with air-conditioning on as well.
I was averaging 58.5mpg which I consider to be very good for a car of this size and engine size

• Like 1

Hi Jayw

58.5 is very good; and it's my guess that doing 70 as max speed would have got you well past 60mpg. But as you say, for a 2.5 petrol car with performance, 58.5 is a very good figure.

Before I had the two Lexus's, I had a 2litre diesel Jag. The Lexus out performs it in every single way possible and causes much less pollution whilst at it. Just as a matter of interest, when I first got my first IS300, I decided to drive as carefully as possible (just for the hell of it, to see what I could get) on a reasonably flat drive along nice country roads through Wensleydale from Aysgarth to Northallerton and back (around 60 miles). The car did 71mpg! Once I 'proved' to myself what the car could do, I went back to real life! As a Yorkshireman, I'm all for saving money, but the car's too much fun to drive just for economy!

All best

Chris

• Like 2