Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MPG on IS 300h etc.

12 minutes ago, chris24 said:

Hi Uti

I think the Toyota CHR is a much smaller engine though, and not same performance; is that right? CHR is an interesting looking car.

Chris

Yep. Uses a 1.8l hybrid setup. Also about 300+kg lighter

That's right, but C-HR is much higher and it has shorter gears and less power. On the highway driving +100 km/h C-HR hybrid's consumption may be bigger than on ISh. On city traffic C-HR has a little bit smaller consumption than on ISh. But the driver and driving habbits are the most important factors also in this case!

Uti

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2018 at 10:27 PM, Hadrian said:

Getting back to MPG on the is300h.  We are just back from a week on the South Coast, near Lymington (we live near Southend in Essex).  I filled up just before leaving,

did over 500 miles during the week,  got home without having to buy any more petrol,  and still have some left in the tank. On the way down I had it up to 60mpg at one point.

By the time we got home it was a fraction over 54 mpg (on display), which I am quite happy with.

One more point. Has anyone managed to get all of the bars on the battery indicator lit up blue ?  The best I've had, is all lit up except for one.

Just to confirm this type of figure, we are just back from a 400 mile round trip to the Peak District on mixed motorway, A roads and lanes. The car meter shows 53.7 mpg (and I wasn't going particularly slowly). ☺️

Hi Malcolm

60mpg is excellent; I've only managed occasionally, and, like you, without going particularly slowly. But for a 2.5 with some poke it's incredible. My old dad, who never owned anything so powerful would have been amazed at such a thing. In the '90s he used to say 'if you're getting over 30mpg out of a petrol engine, you can't complain.'

I'll keep my eye on the Battery indicator and report back if I do any better; the screen is not one I've spent much time on. Before my last Lex, I had a Prius which used to frequently have all bars illuminated.

Regards

Chris

On 6/17/2018 at 10:27 PM, Hadrian said:

One more point. Has anyone managed to get all of the bars on the battery indicator lit up blue ?  The best I've had, is all lit up except for one.

yes I daily see all the bars lit up, but usually at the bottom of a long hill.

at the top of the hill I will flick the downshift paddle, I find this helps recharge and tops the Battery up quicker, however I have wondered if this is nothing more than a placebo effect, im sure someone will correct me

12 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

yes I daily see all the bars lit up, but usually at the bottom of a long hill.

at the top of the hill I will flick the downshift paddle, I find this helps recharge and tops the battery up quicker, however I have wondered if this is nothing more than a placebo effect, im sure someone will correct me

From what I understand, down changing with the paddles will only serve to top up the Battery less that if you left it alone and used the brakes to slow yourself down.

In normal deceleration, these engines keep the valves open to minimise engine drag. When you use the paddles to downchange (like the "B" mode on the original Prius), the valves work like they do on a traditional IC petrol engine and you get lots of drag which helps slow you down. The problem is that the more the engine slows you down, the less the regeneration system gets involved and therefore the slower the Battery gets topped up.

For maximum economy therefore, just leave it alone and use the brakes. Unless that it you want some fun, in which case have fun with the flappy paddles. There is also the time when the Battery is full; I guess using the paddles then to downshift would slow you down with zero impact on ecomomy.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2018 at 7:01 AM, chris24 said:

Hi Malcolm

60mpg is excellent; I've only managed occasionally, and, like you, without going particularly slowly. But for a 2.5 with some poke it's incredible. My old dad, who never owned anything so powerful would have been amazed at such a thing. In the '90s he used to say 'if you're getting over 30mpg out of a petrol engine, you can't complain.'

I'll keep my eye on the battery indicator and report back if I do any better; the screen is not one I've spent much time on. Before my last Lex, I had a Prius which used to frequently have all bars illuminated.

Regards

Chris

I recently got 98.3 mpg , is that  record ??!!! . And before anyone asks , it was not  going down  hill all the way , it was ordinary A road B Road driving . A few weeks before I got 81.9 mpg , I thought that was unbeatable! . i take  photos as evidence but don’t know how to load them. Here .  I am pleased with my Lexus but find services expensive , more than our previous Jag XF ! And also wish ,with hindsight , we had gone for the premier model with electric seats etc . I miss my rear view camera . 

On 7/30/2018 at 11:40 AM, route66 said:

From what I understand, down changing with the paddles will only serve to top up the battery less that if you left it alone and used the brakes to slow yourself down.

In normal deceleration, these engines keep the valves open to minimise engine drag. When you use the paddles to downchange (like the "B" mode on the original Prius), the valves work like they do on a traditional IC petrol engine and you get lots of drag which helps slow you down. The problem is that the more the engine slows you down, the less the regeneration system gets involved and therefore the slower the battery gets topped up.

For maximum economy therefore, just leave it alone and use the brakes

That's an interesting point. I've been wondering whether it's better on long hills to brake rather than change down as you might in a conventional car. Your explanation confirms that this is probably the right way to make best use of the hybrid system.

This also links to something else I've been wondering about. When you brake, the hybrid meter dial pointer moves down to show the amount of power regeneration. My guess is that when the pointer hits the lower limit this is meant to show that maximum regeneration has been reached and if you press the brake pedal any harder when the pointer has reached this point the brake pads will be doing the braking. 

So maybe there's a case for saying that if you've reached maximum regeneration on a long hill, with the pointer on the lower limit, changing down to bring in some engine braking will save wear on the brake pads. This, of course, on older cars was part of the point of changing down to slow the car - when brake pads wore quickly you could save some money by using engine braking. At one time, it was a general assumption that you would change down to slow the car (unless perhaps you had plenty of money and didn't care how often you changed the brake pads.)

6 hours ago, Dealkent said:

! And also wish ,with hindsight , we had gone for the premier model with electric seats etc . I miss my rear view camera . 

You have to wonder how much more it would cost when the cars are being made, to add a camera, and in the case of mine, speech recognition. ?

You have to wonder how much more it would cost when the cars are being made, to add a camera, and in the case of mine, speech recognition. ?

Not much compared to what you pay for it.

Cannot fathom the speech recognition in the GS but the parking camera is imho the best thing ever

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Hadrian said:

Yes I am still mulling over whether to get a camera or not.... Is it worth spending about £560  ?

Depends upon whether or not you H, think it`s worth spending best part of £600 NOT to trust your driving skills?   :):):)

I have one on the GS450h, but I do not have one on the Merc.

On 7/31/2018 at 12:32 PM, Dealkent said:

I don’t know how how to upload photo , but I achieved  98.3 mpg on a recent 40 min journey . 

That is incredible. I once (from Hawkshead to Windermere in the Lakes) managed to keep the thing at 99mpg, but it was almost ALL downhill, or 30mph flat zones, and was only over a few miles. I got fed up in the end, put it in sport/shift and drove the rest of the journey enjoying myself, ending up (after 70 miles) with over 60mpg.

On 8/2/2018 at 11:39 AM, royoftherovers said:

Depends upon whether or not you H, think it`s worth spending best part of £600 NOT to trust your driving skills?   :):):)

I used to have one on a Prius and I could NEVER park that thing straight in a parking bay! I don't know why, but I do much better with the IS300's 'park assist' and the good old beepers!

On 7/31/2018 at 7:20 PM, Hadrian said:

We now have the Executive with heated seats (but no rear camera). I found the fabric seats in the LE much more comfortable. The seats in our new car get my coccyx something rotten! I'm having to experiment with little cushions etc. It looks extremely infra-dig!

On 8/2/2018 at 11:39 AM, royoftherovers said:

I was looking at a 450h recently. Out of interest, how's the economy on that car?

Chris

15 minutes ago, chris24 said:

I was looking at a 450h recently. Out of interest, how's the economy on that car?

Chris

35mpg Chris overall maximum figure. Not bad for a V6 of 3.5 litres and better than the 33mpg that my 1948 Morris Minor used to give me when I first stated driving in 1965.

This is a brim to brim figure. I constantly try to achieve a figure of 500 which is the addition of miles covered since last brimmed plus range left in tank. Have not achieved this in the 5 years I`ve had the Gen3 450h, although I have achieved 499 twice!

The 450h is an outstanding motor car.

18 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

35mpg Chris overall maximum figure. Not bad for a V6 of 3.5 litres and better than the 33mpg that my 1948 Morris Minor used to give me when I first stated driving in 1965.

This is a brim to brim figure. I constantly try to achieve a figure of 500 which is the addition of miles covered since last brimmed plus range left in tank. Have not achieved this in the 5 years I`ve had the Gen3 450h, although I have achieved 499 twice!

The 450h is an outstanding motor car.

Hi John and thanks for the reply; that's pretty amazing for a car of that size. Perhaps we'll look into this again... though I remember last time we looked, they were few and far between and the 2.5 seemed more common.

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 11:16 AM, Hadrian said:

Yes I am still mulling over whether to get a camera or not.... Is it worth spending about £560  ?

Who quoted you £560 ? A Lexus dealer ?