Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MPG on IS 300h etc.

Exceptional figures......in a Prius ?

No, 2014 IS300h.

Nearly all motorway, average speed on the computer was 60mph but quite a lot of the time I had the cruse sent to 75mph.

A/c on all the way

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 5:46 PM, royoftherovers said:

Exceptional figures......in a Prius ?

Hi John

That's pretty good going. I just met a guy the other day with an RC; I think it's the same car but different body. He says he drives it carefully, but can't get better than around 40mpg. I find it hard to believe! Currently on our second IS300h (2016 registered) and just running about during the warm weather, have no trouble getting high 40s. On a long run, I can usually get around 59-60, even on the motorway and giving it some 'welly'.

Chris

Hi Chris, nice to hear from you.

The IS300h economy figures are astounding and would encourage me to have one if I could be pursuaded to part with my GS 450H.

The IS seems to offer Lexus quality,engineering and reliability along with economy which once could only be obtained by small cars with diesel engines.

I do intend however to keep my GS which provides for all of my current needs.

DO continue to enjoy your IS and please keep us all informed as to how it is serving your needs.

Lexus motoring is given only to the chosen few !

• Like 1

I had an IS300H as a loan car while my GS450H was having recall work done. On one hand I really wanted to like the car, but the cabin noise level was so bad over 40mph it completely spoiled an otherwise great car. Perhaps this is a downside of owning a GS going to something else will seem noisy.

John.

20 hours ago, chris24 said:

....I just met a guy the other day with an RC  .....  He says he drives it carefully, but can't get better than around 40mpg. ....

After a few months' ownership of my RC300h (MY2016, F-Sport), I posted some figures relative to its consumption compared with the IS300h (MY2013,

Premier) I previously drove (see RC Forum:  RC300h Fuel Consumption (v. IS300h), started March 17, 2017, and ...Continued, June 18, 2017).  I concluded

that the RC consumed something like 9-10% more on normal roads, averaging around 15km/l (=43mpg), and about 14% more, averaging 13km/l (=36.4mpg),

on the motorway.  Today, with almost 50000km (=31000miles) on the clock, I can broadly confirm the non-motorway figure while finding that I significantly

overstated motorway consumption, 14km/l (=39.5mpg) being a truer figure for non-German motorway drives as long as one does not frequently exceed

legal limits of 130kmh exemplified by Italy and France to which I personally try, more or less successfully, to adhere.  My motorway figure, as posted, was

in fact largely based on two autobahn drives the entire length of Germany, since repeated once more with an almost identical result.  Keeping to a lower

legal limit as that in the UK would, of course, give significantly better economy than in any of the countries mentioned.  Be all this as it may, I have been

happy to see my RC consumption figures turning out to be closer to those of the IS than I first thought.  Measured in terms of visits to the pump the

difference is noticeable but certainly not dramatic.  Given that the difference is not directly proportionate to that in the kerb weights, I remain at a loss

to fully understand why there should be any difference at all.   I suspect - though I would probably deny it if pressed - that my habits and style of driving

have changed slightly for the worse with ownership of the RC, which, being a coupé, tends to encourage a less sedate and relaxed approach to the road

than the IS.  

12 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

The RC is slightly heavier than the IS and the coefficient of drag is also higher. Lexus' official figures suggests the RC consumes 8% more.

Yes, if I adapt the weightings of my driving mix to those of Lexus' declared combined cycle, an 8% consumption difference in favour of the IS is proving

close to my own experience.   I must admit that, despite awareness of the figures, I have never considered the IS' better cx as a significant contributing

factor to lower fuel consumption compared to the RC.  While I am not presumptuous enough to challenge Lexus' wind-tunnel tests, my impression

from the RC's driver's seat, particularly at higher speeds, has always been of superior aerodynamics if assessed on the basis of quietness and stability.

However, given my total ignorance of the science involved, I must conclude that I am guilty of a whole set of highly subjective over-simplifications.

My IS300h has now done around 1300 miles on a mixed bag of roads and based on "range" should reach 1400 before the tank is empty. I have, I believe, used around 30 gals which equates to 46mpg. However, the dash tells me that I am doing around 52mpg. This seems to be a common experience but not sure why?

I do know at least that my visits to the petrol station have considerably decreased since swapping from my Octavia auto.

My IS300h has now done around 1300 miles on a mixed bag of roads and based on "range" should reach 1400 before the tank is empty. I have, I believe, used around 30 gals which equates to 46mpg. However, the dash tells me that I am doing around 52mpg. This seems to be a common experience but not sure why?
I do know at least that my visits to the petrol station have considerably decreased since swapping from my Octavia auto.

The on board computers always read optimistically, I've found that of all cars I have owned.

When doing a real world comparison I calculate pump to pump, my run where I was averaging 64mpg turned into 59mpg when I looked at the fuel used and mileage covered, still not bad but still nearly 10% inaccuracy.

If I am town/Aroad driving I can get late 40's into early 50's just around town I am early to mid 40's.

Mines done nearly 75000 miles now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 8/29/2018 at 11:10 AM, Jayw13702 said:

The on board computers always read optimistically, I've found that of all cars I have owned.

When doing a real world comparison I calculate pump to pump, my run where I was averaging 64mpg turned into 59mpg when I looked at the fuel used and mileage covered, still not bad but still nearly 10% inaccuracy.

If I am town/Aroad driving I can get late 40's into early 50's just around town I am early to mid 40's.

Mines done nearly 75000 miles now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I track all my fill ups using the Fuelio app. Have had my IS300h for a month now and have done 3 fill ups. 47, 49 and 49 mpg for the 3 fill ups. Trip computer shows about 50-52mpg for this so under estimates the actual fuel consumption by 5-10%. This is based on a mixed driving profile. I have a 10 mile trip to work, 5 in traffic and 5 on a dual carriageway @70mph. At weekends I do backroad driving mainly between 50-60mph. At 50 mph the car seems to be most economical. I find this fuel economy to be excellent for a 2.5l petrol with 220 odd bhp. My last car was a 110bhp VW Passat Tdi that returned 55mpg for the same driving.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IRLLexus300 said:

I track all my fill ups using the Fuelio app. Have had my IS300h for a month now and have done 3 fill ups. 47, 49 and 49 mpg for the 3 fill ups. Trip computer shows about 50-52mpg for this so under estimates the actual fuel consumption by 5-10%. This is based on a mixed driving profile. I have a 10 mile trip to work, 5 in traffic and 5 on a dual carriageway @70mph. At weekends I do backroad driving mainly between 50-60mph. At 50 mph the car seems to be most economical. I find this fuel economy to be excellent for a 2.5l petrol with 220 odd bhp. My last car was a 110bhp VW Passat Tdi that returned 55mpg for the same driving.  

My Merc has shown an 8% over-read (compared to actual arithmetic calculation) for the last 15 years.

I think that manufacturers build this sort of over enthusiastic figure into their software so as to impress drivers.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

My Merc has shown an 8% over-read (compared to actual arithmetic calculation) for the last 15 years.

I think that manufacturers build this sort of over enthusiastic figure into their software so as to impress drivers.

I have always been aware of this anomaly and I have wondered if it also has an effect on the mileometer.

During the summer months I average over 50mpg but as the weather gets colder it drops to low 40-mid 40s.  I've been really impressed with the mpg, better than what I was expecting I have to say.

On 8/31/2018 at 4:47 PM, TechyD said:

During the summer months I average over 50mpg but as the weather gets colder it drops to low 40-mid 40s.  I've been really impressed with the mpg, better than what I was expecting I have to say.

Hi all

I too get much better economy during the summer months but this is 'par for the course' with all hybrids. Regarding the onboard computer being optimistic, I guess this has always been the case, though whenever I've double checked, there's only been a discrepancy of 1 or 2 mpg. My wife used to have a 1.3 Toyota Yaris and the IS300h still does more mpg than that did!

Chris

Just for interest, and to throw a curve-ball in here... 35mpg excellent in a GS450h? Really? I can fairly nearly match that in a GSF on ordinary fast A and B-roads, driving with economy in mind. Beating it would be easy on a quiet motorway! 

Also managed over 30mpg from 364 miles of enjoyment around Wales a few months ago and I certainly wasn’t concerned with how much petrol I was using! Now that’s not bad from a 5.0 V8 with around 480bhp available! 

Disclaimer; usual economy is in the low 20s, previous ISF was about 2mpg worse than the GSF and before that my GS450h (mk3) averaged around 30mpg. My usual driving is through the urban sprawl...

A010CF01-1821-49F5-B2BB-0D5121B19374.jpeg

97C8E274-F402-47DC-BBB8-00C98427580C.jpeg

• Like 1

Just for interest, and to throw a curve-ball in here... 35mpg excellent in a GS450h? Really? I can fairly nearly match that in a GSF on ordinary fast A and B-roads, driving with economy in mind. Beating it would be easy on a quiet motorway! 
Also managed over 30mpg from 364 miles of enjoyment around Wales a few months ago and I certainly wasn’t concerned with how much petrol I was using! Now that’s not bad from a 5.0 V8 with around 480bhp available! 
Disclaimer; usual economy is in the low 20s, previous ISF was about 2mpg worse than the GSF and before that my GS450h (mk3) averaged around 30mpg. My usual driving is through the urban sprawl...

A010CF01-1821-49F5-B2BB-0D5121B19374.thumb.jpeg.ca3ee3109d423c562305557c647ca510.jpeg
97C8E274-F402-47DC-BBB8-00C98427580C.thumb.jpeg.d906b052338cb8c01621919b0072659a.jpeg

IMG_2912.JPG

Gs250 going Perth to Pitlochry

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

As a fellow GS250 driver I salute you sir.  On a long mway  run I’ve never bettered 42. My average is 29 without much motorway running. Do you run in eco mode all the time? What fuel do you use?

As a fellow GS250 driver I salute you sir.  On a long mway  run I’ve never bettered 42. My average is 29 without much motorway running. Do you run in eco mode all the time? What fuel do you use?

My average is 39 in it. I use Esso fuel nothing super unless I’m at Tesco and put in the 99 stuff.

My car is driven all over Scotland and I tend to obey speed limits. If I lived some place flatter it would do 50mpg and I’d get 600 plus from the tank but normally a full tank is out of ideas by 500 miles

Sent from my Iphone using TapatalkIMG_2888.JPG

Wow even more impressed! I’m lucky to get 350 from a tank full. I dry smoothly with the occaisional heavy right foot, but my work commute is very stop start urban which does the consumption no favours. This is why I’m considering an IS 300h, I think most of my mileage would play to its strengths 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jamesf1 said:

Wow even more impressed! I’m lucky to get 350 from a tank full. I dry smoothly with the occaisional heavy right foot, but my work commute is very stop start urban which does the consumption no favours. This is why I’m considering an IS 300h, I think most of my mileage would play to its strengths 

The fuel consumption really impressed me when I had a GS450h. Whether in stop-start traffic, urban schlepping or hammering down the motorway, it was remarkably constant.