Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MPG on IS 300h etc.

Wow even more impressed! I’m lucky to get 350 from a tank full. I dry smoothly with the occaisional heavy right foot, but my work commute is very stop start urban which does the consumption no favours. This is why I’m considering an IS 300h, I think most of my mileage would play to its strengths 

My commute is from Loch Long to Glencoe. The road is a gentle 40/50mph a lot of the way and the car only sees 60 plus on the clearer sections. It uses barely more fuel than my e350cdi did

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 4:31 PM, Thackeray said:

The temperature of 22C probably helped, too - no heating needed and not too much air conditioning.

If this had been my car the indicated 60.8 would have meant a real 55 or so, which is still pretty good for a 2.5 litre petrol engine. Does anyone else compare real mpg with indicated mpg? I'd be interested to know if a 9-10% discrepancy is standard on these cars or is mine an exception? A small amount of the discrepancy comes from tyres about half-worn. (That reduces the tyre size by nearly a centimetre and results in an overestimate of distance travelled.) But that probably doesn't make a great deal of difference.

Thackeray, I used to think this and had the same theory as you, however, the discrepancy was caused by the fuel pumps at the station. They are all in accurate and will stop pumping fuel into your car all at different times depending on what the sensor is set to on the pump by the supplier. Infact when the pump goes click and won't allow you to add any more in, there is usually still between 3-5 litres of volume  left unused. I now fill mine to the actual maximum and I no longer have a discrepancy. I don't have fuel splash back cover fitted in my nozzle hole which makes this easier. 

I no longer have a fuel consumption discrepancy or its so small and inconsistent I can't call it conclusive. 

I am also assuming you are taking the 10 litres of reserve that are kept in the tank when the dash shows empty? 

44 minutes ago, Hilltopcruiser said:

I am also assuming you are taking the 10 litres of reserve that are kept in the tank when the dash shows empty

No, I'm not doing that. All I do is note what the mileage is and how much fuel I put in to fill the tank..

I can then calculate how many miles I've travelled since the last fill-up and how much fuel has been used; the amount of fuel is the number of litres the tank went down since the last fill-up, which is known because it's the same as the amount it takes to fill it up again. I'd never thought of calculating it in any other way!

It doesn't matter a great deal whether the tank is completely full to the very last drop, (or at least it balances out over time) or whether the reserve amount is used or not.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links