Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi again to you all..................I have just noticed that the tip of my MPH needle has not illuminated. Anybody any ideas as to how to fix it,or what it cost to get it fixed, and where ?

Thanks again..Sorry for the bother.

Ls400 1995

Hi Roy 

Common fault due to age on the earlier LS range ,there are several fixes but  removal and dismantle of the cluster is required in all cases.The procedures are posted in the archives of this and the US forum ,there are several companies online who will fix it but you have to send them the cluster.

Hi - This is a cmmon problem - there is a company that does repairs BBA Reman

Also there used to be a member Chris Vince who used to carry out repairs of this type - you can either send him your cluster or take the car to him - try to look him up on this forum

I visited him many years ago to have my cluster repaired on a prior Ls 400, waited while he extracted it, repaired it and re-installed it . all worked fine

01252 540463

Well stangely, it looks like I need to add Lustre to my Cluster - My tip is definately extinguished!!  LOL

I wonder if the recent Alternator failure is the cause of this issue?? 

I've had a wavy Rev counter needle at Calais but it always seems to right itself this side of the Channel.

Today,  I have finally finished replacing the Alternator and Power Steering Pump.  Not a job I'd like to do again and if the Garage took as much time as I did then frankly an estimate of the cost would likely have seen the Car scrapped (or sold for the number plate!!)  

The tip will have to wait. I've had more than enough Lexus "hands on" for the moment.

Interesting thread however, but Soldering irons (plural) awaiting  the ECU  Capacitor challenge, first.  

Thanks to Rupert for seeing me through this nightmare job and putting up with my constant need for reassurance.

By the way, does anyone know why the holes on the under scoop panel don't seem to line up with any holes in the upper structure?  Good job there are Tow points so I had to sling a wire across to make sure the panel doesn't drop and catch the wind. MOT failure I daresay  so need to sort before July.

Hello.. Yes just had my Alternator and steering pump replaced (last three months), at a cost of several hundred pounds, can't remember exactly how much, but i was a lot...Just the tip of the speedo needle not lit...but will manage for now....Hoping that some nice Lexus member will help me out with that problem (for which I will pay)  

Will keep my fingers crossed...................Good luck with yours....... Cheers Roy.

• Like 1

Its a VERY easy fix, the cluster needs removing then the clear plastic front needs separating, once you can get to the needles DO NOT try and remove them.

What has happened is the black conductive backing on the needle has cracked and is no longer creating a circuit, you need to buy some of the electro conductive paint (the same to repair rear screen defrosters) and carefully coat the back of the needle, completing the circuit again.

Im in Yorkshire and would happily do it for you free of charge. (well the cost of the paint, £5???  I've ran out!)

by the way its the same special/secret/cant tell anyone how to fix it themselves and help them out..... procedure chris vince used to practice... without the ridiculous price tag.

• Like 1

Hello...Gee wiz that would be great if you could do it for me..................my mobile number is 07785797007, and I reside in Atherton, near Leigh. Would you like me to get some of that paint, or you ?.   Please ring me anytime, and, I will give you something for doing the job, it means so much to me as I am Disabled....I eagerly await your reply.. Thank you so much Roy.

7 hours ago, Dale_V said:

procedure chris vince used to practice... without the ridiculous price tag

not really a ridiculous price i thought ......  there were plenty of U Tube or whatever to tell you how to do it BUT you had to be rather adept at removing the cluster, taking it apart and replacing it, let alone having extremely nimble fingers to solder minutely .... and knowing how to solder .....  i thought £100 not a bad price to pay tbh :yes: 

At the time Lexus wanted @£1600 :whip:

Malc

only those on here Roy !

Chris Vince re-soldered the innards of mine coz I lost the display, a common event on the Mk2 I had at the time ... and i had a nice drive down to Farnborough ( was it ? ) , near the air show place at that time, many many years ago now though ..  I didn't sell my Mk2, it was written-off by some low life vandal :w00t:   but I then bought my Mk3 from a member on here, 7 years ago now :biggrin:

Malc

Wish I could find someone in UK or China who makes those LED Climate control Screens. 

America charges three times the price for a RHD screen to the LHD screen price and I rather resent  paying the extra, together with import duty.

S'pose I'll have to bite the bullet before they become manufacture obsolescent! 

Hi Dale v.... I was coming over to you place on Friday, if that is ok..Please send your phone number so i can speak to you, or if you prefer please ring me on 07785797007.. Thank you Roy.

54 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Wish I could find someone in UK or China who makes those LED Climate control Screens. 

America charges three times the price for a RHD screen to the LHD screen price and I rather resent  paying the extra, together with import duty.

S'pose I'll have to bite the bullet before they become manufacture obsolescent! 

When Chris Vince did mine there were a few people/businesses around that advertised to repair the screens, surely they haven't all retired or vanished !

Malc