Linas.P

Finally something reasonable

Recommended Posts

 

Good honest and fair review.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No shortage of comments after the review. The car continues to divide opinion but Clarkson and Hammond were right, the SC430 is so awful and ugly I have to wear a hat and dark glasses to I drive it. :yes: 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love one of these as a 2nd car. I reckon they've aged extremely well.

There's a gold one in a showroom near me and it looks fantastic. I'm always looking out for it when I drive past. :smile:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

Would love one of these as a 2nd car. I reckon they've aged extremely well.

There's a gold one in a showroom near me and it looks fantastic. I'm always looking out for it when I drive past. :smile:

Why not take it for a test drive?  You too could be won over by the worst car ever.

I don't have to regard mine as a 2nd car as I very rarely carry more than 1 passenger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess when new the criticism was little bit more "fair", but now as second hand car SC430 provides unbelievable value for money + it is reliable. Try similar age CL/SL and you wouldn't get far without getting £4000 bill for total rebuilt of some fancy part.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If potential owners treat it as a 2 seater, it's a great car with marmite looks.

When it came out, I hated the odd curves and the retro interior styling. Everything the Soarer stood for was missing and it was clearly aimed at the more traditional US SC400 faithful.  Like the LS400/Celsior the Soarer pushed the boundaries both in 4 litre V8 and 2.5 twin turbo form but the SC430 didn't. The styling was too much of a departure so most of the Soarer community refused to get on board. 

Lexus took the decision to make the 2001 Soarer a convertible, I blame it on the SC400/Soarer fraternity who seemed to crave the convertible, indeed eventually one was created and the hype that surrounded it confirmed it a hit. In modern terms it's like the unveiling of a supercharged LC500 convertible. :cool: It had a 5 litre stroked 1UZ-FE.

Image result for Soarer convertible

It made it to Surrey and Hampshire.

5adbc0807518f_TifMeet2007002.thumb.jpg.147391f2eee60979a8e1f658f70617f7.jpg5adbc08231a32_TifMeet2007003.thumb.jpg.cfbe808bf17f123dac57073d01251d7b.jpg

Looks impressive but sadly didn't achieve its full potential.

If only the SC430 had been given a cabin with the same dimensions as the earlier Soarer and a version with all of the latest tech, in a slightly less Italian boat influenced styled body, the RCF might be known to us today as the SCF or SC500.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I regret letting my SC (2003) go so cheaply but I couldn't convince my wife or daughter to keep it for themselves even though they loved driving it.

I do see them as future collectables and if buying again I would either look for an original mint condition, or buy a cheap one that looks tired but with a sound engine (change belts and pump and stiffen suspension) perhaps fit a body kit and then get it sprayed or wrapped with something unusual.

That would definitely make it a marmite thing.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

....even get it in Marmite colours?

 

 

I used to make Marmite chip butties at my cafe for a few other traders......delicious!

(I'm in q for Neil's SC-for the sound system mainly!)

marmite sarnies.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DaKa said:

I regret letting my SC (2003) go so cheaply but I couldn't convince my wife or daughter to keep it for themselves even though they loved driving it.

I do see them as future collectables and if buying again I would either look for an original mint condition, or buy a cheap one that looks tired but with a sound engine (change belts and pump and stiffen suspension) perhaps fit a body kit and then get it sprayed or wrapped with something unusual.

That would definitely make it a marmite thing.   

 I don't know if they are admired enough to become a collectable but I can say that it's been lots of fun trying to modify it. 

If I was starting again, I would consider a 2JZ or 2UR transplant. The 3UZ is just about bulletproof but extremely difficult to develop into something substantially more muscular. There's absolutely no need for it, the SC is quick enough as it is, how often do you need to get to 60 in much less than 6 seconds? I just never grew up and still like the idea. 

13 minutes ago, Chris Skelton said:

....even get it in Marmite colours?

 

 

I used to make Marmite chip butties at my cafe for a few other traders......delicious!

(I'm in q for Neil's SC-for the sound system mainly!)

marmite sarnies.jpg

Marmite chip butties..... Chris, you're now booked as the DJ and caterer for the next South West Lexus meet. The mobile disco is at your disposal.

It's always going to be limited in a convertible and indeed any car environment but the Focal components made such a difference, definitely a worthwhile investment and the effort to cable them up. 

85078.thumb.jpg.44a58a8797c09ed648c0ded1120c0a99.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now