Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Comparing to German makes ?

Before we bought our 2015  is300 recently, I looked at quite a number of reviews. What struck me, was that nearly all of the Auto "experts"

compared the Lexus to BMWs,  Mercedes and Audis. Having owned a Civic hybrid for a number of years, without any major issues,

I wanted to stick with Japanes made reliability.  Something which most reviewers seemed to overlook.  Also to a man (or woman)

they didn't like the CVT  gearbox, again something I've never had an issue with.   Why this obsession with comparing every car with German makes ?

I started roundly ignoring car reviewers a few years ago. If not ignoring then at least just paying attention to the facts rather than the opinion.

Keep in mind that most reviews are based on a few hours at most with a car. This largely explains their obsession with how "awful" CVT boxes are. Go and look up some Subaru test drives, you wonder how they ever manage to sell any.

And you're in the wrong section :biggrin:

I’ve owned many German cars and one Lexus. I do feel that BMW and Audi are superior to Lexus in terms of interior quality, range of options available and definitely in car technology. Lexus is a more reliable car by far however the servicing costs are very high, I’d say double that of German alternatives requiring a £200 service every 2 years or 20k Miles.

I also feel Lexus has a reputation of being the vehicle of choice for a much older drivers. I rarely see a Lexus driver under 40 on the roads.

I would prefer a BMW 3 Series M Sport over a Lexus IS300h however there is also one other very compelling reason to own a 300h - HMRC mileage rates pay 11p for a diesel 3 series but 22p per mile for a 300h - yet they will achieve roughly the same economy.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2018 at 10:30 AM, B1001 said:

Lexus is a more reliable car by far however the servicing costs are very high, I’d say double that of German alternatives requiring a £200 service every 2 years or 20k Miles.

I suspect the two things are not entirely unrelated. BMW, Audi et al extend their servicing you suspect to make them attractive to fleet managers. Seems their cars are little more now than a means to sell credit, and they are effectively designed down to a three year lifespan.  

Glad I've never been a slave to BIK, seems a very sad reason to choose a car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The German Marques are not particularly well made, do badly in the JD Power Surveys & almost the steering wheel is an expensive Optional Extra !

Tel

3 hours ago, Tel said:

The German Marques are not particularly well made, do badly in the JD Power Surveys & almost the steering wheel is an expensive Optional Extra !

Tel

To be fair, most cars today are pretty reliable. Although makers such as Nissan and Daewoo made a lot of European car manufacturers think again.

They used to make a lot of money by getting people to buy the extras when purchasing a new car. Air-Con was always an extra, so were alloy wheels.

Along with a whole host of items which were included as standard on cars made in the Far East.