Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I would like to do a service on this car I have now - was a while ago that I done the service on the last one before it was written off but between that time and now, the two stores I used to buy the parts from have ceased trading.

I had a K&N oiled air filter on the car that lasted the 5 years I had it. I will probably buy another as they do last and considering the paper ones are around £20 I think it makes sense cost wise. (as I have not bought a paper one before, is that the cost these days?)

I have sorted the oil as I have always used the Magnatec and happy to continue - the oil filter and pollen filter I can find at eurocarparts but these too seem to have gone up in price - where does everyone else buy their parts from?

I have also noticed another web site that uses an identical web platform for car parts. Are "Carparts4less" and "eurocarparts" one of the same? I have gone off using eBay a bit really due to all the counterfeits out there as you cant be sure whats genuine these days unless buying from a trusted store..

Lexus Birmingham is a popular place members here choose to purchase parts from. Very quick delivery and keen prices.

Obviously places like euro car parts are cheaper but when it comes to my Lexus I insist on genuine parts.

• Like 2

Most of the service parts (even on the production line) are not made by Lexus but by a multitude of suppliers. They produce parts to Lexus specs and pack them in Toyota boxes but you can often buy exactly the same parts in manufacturers' own boxes. Many parts for Japanese cars are sourced on Europe and come from different suppliers from those in Japan =- they get packed in eg Toyota boxes for sale at premium prices or in the manufacturers' own boxes at a lower price. The trick is to sort out the quality produce from the dross!

EuroCarParts and CP4L are the same company - CP4L invoices say EuroCarParts. CP4L is more or less the trade oriented version but it really makes no difference. The ranges listed can be slightly different but CP4L are generally cheaper even with the frequent ECP discounts - worth checking both though. I don't really buy stuff for the Lexus from either.

Oil filters - I use K&N just because I like them. Buying a IS250 filter is not like buying a canister type one where the quality of construction of the can and its internals (eg anti drain back valve) mattered - IS250 filters are just paper and a sealing ring, along with a superfluous (for the IS250) o-ring and a curious bit of plastic which you don't need.

Air filters - Toyota branded ones cost about £25. BluePrint are major suppliers of Japanese (and these days other brands) parts and are pretty much the standard suppliers to the independent garage trade. They produce (or rather package) parts to OEM spec and their air filters are readily available on eBay for less than £10. They don't sell direct to the public but there are plenty of vendors of BluePrint parts. I don't think there's much point in using cleanable oiled filters costing £50 odd when you can buy excellent paper ones for £10 and the scheduled change period is 40K miles - you can replace them twice as often and your wallet wont notice the difference.

Oil - I have used Dexos2 (the branded GM product) for a long time, but the price has gone up over the years and I have now taken to using Exol Optima LSG 5W-30 which meets Dexos2 specification along with specs by MB, GM, BMW, VW etc. Not available in 5L cans but I buy 20L containers for about £60 and use a tap to decant it. 3 oil changes for £20 each and it's an excellent oil.

Spark Plugs - only choice is Denso - I will soon be fitting IKBH20TT which is now the recommended (Iridium) plug.

wiper blades - you need Denso hybrid blades - other brand flat blades don't wipe the screen properly. Most economical is to buy replacement rubbers from Lexus (Birmingham on line, but all dealers sell them)

brake pads - EBC Red stuff or Yellow stuff.

Discs - MTEC.

And there's always RockAuto for more obscure parts which seem to be hard to get in UK. Their brands are a USA mystery - pick with a pin - there's usually a choice of manufacturer for the part you need.

Just my opinions and my choices, but they keep my IS250 and various other cars which I look after going! (The other cars sometimes use different brands, but the same thought processes apply.)

• Like 3

I find eBay to be very good for my needs. Mind you, I always use trusted sellers or check feedback opinions on an unknown source.

ACP on eBay have proved very good for many parts. Recently got 4 vented discs (Mintex)for £108 delivered. Pagid discs I find to be fine...just put those on .... less black dust than previous Toyota branded pads that needed replacing. Fitted pagid pads on wifeys MX5 too.

Cabin filters ... I get 2 when they are about £7 for the plain paper. Currently trying a carbon impregnated cabin filter that was £9

I use paper air filter (engine) they are typically around the £12-14 mark.

Lexus have a presence on eBay but the prices are not good for what I've been looking for. Having said that, Lexus Bradford came up trumps with the cheapest price I could find for a caliper set....whole caliper £120.

I always use Denso wiper blades and keep spares at the ready. Always get them when I see good prices offered. Three drivers side (20") I nabbed at £15. Just had the wiper arms off at the weekend to rub down and respray. The arms are always good its just the knuckle end that has not been primed correctly. See it all the time on other Lexus' in the car parks etc. It kept bugging me seeing flakes of black paint coming away and exposing powdery white primer. Still....all good now.

I've used Rockauto for Oxygen sensors and PCV valve.

• Like 1

Cant go wrong with brakes by brembo/pagid.

In the case of the IS-F ECP/CP4L actually sell the OEM brembo discs and pads. Additionally, if you opt for the pagid ones which are cheaper for the IS-F you'll find that the box says Pagid and the discs/pads are actually made by brembo

I find Ebay to be very good for my needs. Mind you, I always use trusted sellers or check feedback opinions on an unknown source.
ACP on Ebay have proved very good for many parts. Recently got 4 vented discs (Mintex)for £108 delivered. Pagid discs I find to be fine...just put those on .... less black dust than previous Toyota branded pads that needed replacing. Fitted pagid pads on wifeys MX5 too.
Cabin filters ... I get 2 when they are about £7 for the plain paper. Currently trying a carbon impregnated cabin filter that was £9
I use paper air filter (engine) they are typically around the £12-14 mark.
Lexus have a presence on Ebay but the prices are not good for what I've been looking for. Having said that, Lexus Bradford came up trumps with the cheapest price I could find for a caliper set....whole caliper £120.
I always use Denso wiper blades and keep spares at the ready. Always get them when I see good prices offered. Three drivers side (20") I nabbed at £15. Just had the wiper arms off at the weekend to rub down and respray. The arms are always good its just the knuckle end that has not been primed correctly. See it all the time on other Lexus' in the car parks etc. It kept bugging me seeing flakes of black paint coming away and exposing powdery white primer. Still....all good now.
I've used Rockauto for Oxygen sensors and PCV valve.

Hi normski, are the discs vented on the 250 on the front and rear. Would pagid discs and pads be ok to use. Or a brembo better. I don’t think you can the brembo rear discs vented. Thanks, John.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

They are vented front and back on my model. My model is 2010. Earlier year models, I believe, had solid discs. 

On my car the vented discs are 28mm thick x 296 Dia on the front, and 18mm thick x 310 Dia on the rear.

I would think pagid discs and pads would be absolutely fine. Just check if you have solid discs fitted. They’ll be about 9mm thick.

They are vented front and back on my model. My model is 2010. Earlier year models, I believe, had solid discs. 
On my car the vented discs are 28mm thick x 296 Dia on the front, and 18mm thick x 310 Dia on the rear.
 I would think pagid discs and pads would be absolutely fine. Just check if you have solid discs fitted. They’ll be about 9mm thick.

I had a look when it was light before. They’re vented front and back. Does it matter that the wheels are staggered. Mines a 2011 f sport. Thanks again.

No it doesn’t matter that there is a staggered set up.

I also found out that brembo don’t do a rear vented brake disc. That’s why I’m going for pagid. Are the denso wipers better than the Bosch aerotwins. Also I just buy the Toyota 5w 30 from my local Lexus dealer. Got it on offer at the last service for £18 5L. Is that good value. Thanks, John.

I would say the oil is definitely good value and that the Denso hybrid wipers are better than the Bosch

I’ve just bought the Bosch ones and they seem good. I’ll try the denso next time.

The Denso wiper blades are superb. The first thing I did after I bought my car was throw a new pair on it. They're still performing as good as new nearly 2 years later, and believe me it rains a lot in Scotland! :tongue:

I also keep a brand new pair of them in reserve which are sourced from ECP when they make particularly generous promo codes available. My last pair was £15-odd.

• Like 1

Hi mate, I’ve just found some pagid brake pads and discs for the front from carparts4less and they’re saying they won’t fit my even though in the description they say 28mm thickness and 296 diameter. What do you reckon. Thanks again.

If you put your reg no in on the CP4L first page and search for brake discs you will get a list of suitable parts. For my reg it only gives Eicher front discs and then a choice of vented or solid Pagid rear discs - they can't tell from the reg which rear discs IS250s have. (My car has solid rear discs - they changed to vented some time in 2007 in production.)

If the Pagid discs you have found are listed under your reg they will fit. If they are under something else they may well not do - the diameter and thickness dimensions might be correct but the 'bell' part may not be.

Have to say, I agree with John.

Just ensure that you are getting the parts for your model year of car.

You could also pop a wheel off and take thickness and diameter measurements of your existing brake disc.....just for peace of mind.

If you put your reg no in on the CP4L first page and search for Brake Discs you will get a list of suitable parts. For my reg it only gives Eicher front discs and then a choice of vented or solid Pagid rear discs - they can't tell from the reg which rear discs IS250s have. (My car has solid rear discs - they changed to vented some time in 2007 in production.)
If the Pagid discs you have found are listed under your reg they will fit. If they are under something else they may well not do - the diameter and thickness dimensions might be correct but the 'bell' part may not be.

Thanks for your help John.

Have to say, I agree with John.
Just ensure that you are getting the parts for your model year of car.
You could also pop a wheel off and take thickness and diameter measurements of your existing brake disc.....just for peace of mind.

I think I’ll do that. Thanks again.