Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why you could face a HUGE fine if you wear sunglasses while driving

It just gets better and better ....
What category are your sunglasses?

"We all want to avoid the glare when driving and, according to the Highway Code, you must slow down or pull over if you’re dazzled by bright sunlight.
But, it is also illegal to wear some types of sunglasses while driving. There are two essential requirements for lenses to be used for driving – vision must remain clear, and sufficient light to let you see properly must get to your eyes.
However, some sunglasses that are sold for general can be too dark or unsuitable for driving.
Sun lenses for driving fall into two main categories - ‘fixed’ and ‘variable’ tint.
Most sunglasses will be category two - meaning they filter between 18 and 43 per cent of light and are suitable for driving. However, Class 4 sunglasses will filter between 3 and 8 percent of light and are to be used for exceptionally bright sunlight.
If you have these type of sunglasses, then it is illegal to use them while driving. According to the AA: “Filter category 4 lenses only transmit between 3% and 8% of light and are not suitable for driving at any time. Sunglasses with these lenses should, by law, be labelled ‘Not suitable for driving and road use’.”

Until they invent a camera that can detect them, measure them and issue a fine in the post, nothing will happen.

I doubt anyone wears them in the UK. 

We had all this over dark helmet visors on bikes, most ignore it so they went after the retailers.

If the Police wanted to pursure this they could use their TintMan instruments to measure light transmission but they won't, at least not unless the unfortunate should happen?

Next they'll probably go after builders boots saying the sole is too thick to sufficiently feel the travel of the pedal, hence why they drive so fast all the fricking time

• Like 3

So this so could possibly comes under Careless Driving according to the article

I think that's stretching things somewhat. 

What the article negates to say is that thanks to Theresa May there are hardly any traffic cops left to deal with it. 

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Next they'll probably go after builders boots saying the sole is too thick to sufficiently feel the travel of the pedal, hence why they drive so fast all the fricking time

You want to see the ones with little wooden blocks tied on to reach the pedals. 

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

You want to see the ones with little wooden blocks tied on to reach the pedals. 

Now, who might you be referring to I wonder? :whistling: :biggrin: 

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Now, who might you be referring to I wonder? :whistling: :biggrin: 

Can't mention any names. I don't want to end up on the naughty mat with Rayanns

2 hours ago, Comedian said:

Can't mention any names. I don't want to end up on the naughty mat with Rayanns

I presume you mean the naughty step Im supposedly sitting on....

But back on topic, surely if you cant see well, you don't drive. I wonder if they'll go after everyone 60+ in a few years time as they all supposedly have cataracts

2 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I presume you mean the naughty step Im supposedly sitting on....

But back on topic, surely if you cant see well, you don't drive. I wonder if they'll go after everyone 60+ in a few years time as they all supposedly have cataracts

Who said that???   :wheelchair::w00t:

• Haha 1

Well I don't care who I upset...... I'm a builder........ and I'm short....... Ive been thinking about blocks on the pedals........ so I can reach them....... As regards my manner of driving........ my bag of talent is one of my most bountiful asset :yes:

Oh and look no shades...... :yahoo:

IMG_2764.thumb.JPG.35f73af361bd8d54ce86fc20c3b636fa.JPG

Big Rat

1 hour ago, Big Rat said:

Well I don't care who I upset...... I'm a builder........ and I'm short....... Ive been thinking about blocks on the pedals........ so I can reach them....... As regards my manner of driving........ my bag of talent is one of my most bountiful asset :yes:

IMG_2764.thumb.JPG.35f73af361bd8d54ce86fc20c3b636fa.JPG

Big Rat

Ian Rush ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@royoftherovers John I’ve been called many things over the years but......anyway Rushie that’s my era  and yes he was a very real talent, if I remember correctly he’s still the top scorer ever for Liverpool.

🐀

In my neck of the woods Ratty, he lives on Mount Olympus. You are indeed in exalted company!

Milk it lad for all that`s it`s worth!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Big Rat said:

Big Rat

I think would suit you more :ph34r:

hotwheels.jpg

Was recently amazed to see a woman with 7+inch stilettos emerging from a 500 Abarth in what I suspected to be a three-pedal version.  I thought

of asking how she managed heel-and-toe gear-shifts but quickly backed off upon catching sight of her rippling biceps and barbed-wire tats...

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Was recently amazed to see a woman with 7+inch stilettos emerging from a 500 Abarth in what I suspected to be a three-pedal version.  I thought

of asking how she managed heel-and-toe gear-shifts but quickly backed off upon catching sight of her rippling biceps and barbed-wire tats...

An acquaintance, of the female type, wears very high heels and drives but she has a pair of flat pumps in the car that she swaps into before actually driving. I think this is fairly commonly done? 

• Haha 1