Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

timing belt and waterpump

dickiedido

Had my is200 in for a timing belt and waterpump, mechanic rang me and asked why i wanted the pump doing as it is not driven by the timing belt, he said he would check for leaks and any noises and leave it if no problems, i said i would leave it to his expert opinion. i was at work and very busy. It was changed 8 years ago by Lexus and has done less than 30000 miles since. Have i made a mistake not getting it done? Cheers for any replies.

I don't know what your engine layout is like but on a lot of cars (our old RX300 included) the water pump and the timing belt are in the same area. Given that labour charges make up the biggest cost of the job, it makes economic sense to have both done at the same time. For example, if the timing belt job is going to cost £350, doing the water pump at the same time may add another £40 to £50 on the bill. However, if you do them as two separate jobs at different times, because 95% of the work to get to the belt will have to be done again to get to the pump, you'll end up with another £300 bill.

• Like 1

IS200 water pump isn't driven by the timing belt but that belt does have to be removed to gain access to the pump so can make economic sense to replace at the same time. But if it has only done 30k miles then no reason to think it won't last for several years.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys, hopefully it will be fine. She is an old girl but there is not one thing wrong, was going to get an is250, but as i am saving up to get married think i will wait, i am confident she'll serve me well( the lexus i mean)haha.

• Haha 1