Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Elm327 obd2 dongle

What's the best dongle and Android software to use on my Lexus RX400h without using Techstream that the dealer uses?

Would also like to check the Hybrid system as well.

2 minutes ago, acer54 said:

What's the best dongle and Android software to use on my Lexus RX400h without using Techstream that the dealer uses?

Would also like to check the Hybrid system as well.

Most decent ELM327 dongles should work.  I have a TorquePro one off amazon and use the same named software off Google Play - think it costs a fiver.  It is very good but unsure if it can check the hybrid system.  Unsure if any will do that but someone will be along to correct me.

If the dongle doesn't work then just return it under Amazon's returns at their expense.

1 hour ago, Gliderpilot said:

Hybrid assistant seems to be able to do a battery check. It's only on Google Play though.

I saw that, just trying to determine which dongle to buy.

If you give a look on Hybrid Assistant site they suggest which dongles are best. I use a Icar2 Vgate that works fine without being too expensive.

I've decided to invest in Techstream as it will do everything that is needed, initially more money but pretty much bullet proof when you are using it.

53 minutes ago, acer54 said:

I've decided to invest in Techstream as it will do everything that is needed, initially more money but pretty much bullet proof when you are using it.

£20 off eBay with software and dongle

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2018 at 1:15 PM, acer54 said:

did u buy the whole package or just a week or more access?

• 3 months later...

Have bought this Bluetooth OBD2 reader as Techstream is very expensive even for limited use. This is supposed to be able to leave connected without draining Battery and with the right software can do most things that Techstream will do.

Thoughts anybody?  

s-l1600.png

s-l1600 (1).png

Horses for courses, really.  In most cases a simple code read & reset is all that is needed - then it's either a simple fix or off to the garage.  I guess you want to do more, in which case a tool giving live data and info on other sub-systems is more appropriate.

On 4/26/2018 at 12:27 PM, KenMavor said:

Most decent ELM327 dongles should work.  I have a TorquePro one off Amazon and use the same named software off Google Play - think it costs a fiver.  It is very good but unsure if it can check the hybrid system.  Unsure if any will do that but someone will be along to correct me.

If the dongle doesn't work then just return it under Amazon's returns at their expense.

I've got a U480 which worked fine on other cars for me but does not connect with the Lexus.  I might just give this ELM327 a go. 

2 hours ago, BachelorDays said:

I've got a U480 which worked fine on other cars for me but does not connect with the Lexus.  I might just give this ELM327 a go. 

I have an ELM327 in both blue tooth, and USB versions that I used on my Prius with a program called "Priidash". This was developed on the Prius Chat forum to give just about every piece of information of the cars operation on one screen. However the ELM does not compare with the capabilities of Techstream.

John. 

17 hours ago, BachelorDays said:

I have this basic code reader (eBay item 122028314392) and it works fine on my RX400h for just reading error codes but I want to see more data like O2 sensor readings etc.

s-l1600.jpg

• Thanks 1

Where did you buy this and how much?

On 10/14/2018 at 12:41 PM, acer54 said:

Have bought this Bluetooth OBD2 reader as Techstream is very expensive even for limited use. This is supposed to be able to leave connected without draining battery and with the right software can do most things that Techstream will do.

Thoughts anybody?  

s-l1600.png

s-l1600 (1).png