Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reversing Camera

My IS300h came with a reversing camera but not having used them before I had front and rear sensors fitted. In practice, when reversing I still use mirrors and sensors to see where I am going with maybe a glance at the camera picture for confirmation of position. I find it hard to stare forwards at the small screen whilst going backwards! Does anyone else have this problem? Is it better to mostly ignore it and do it the "old fashioned" way? Do I just need practice/confidence? Any thoughts; suggestions etc.?

1 hour ago, MaxB said:

My IS300h came with a reversing camera but not having used them before I had front and rear sensors fitted. In practice, when reversing I still use mirrors and sensors to see where I am going with maybe a glance at the camera picture for confirmation of position. I find it hard to stare forwards at the small screen whilst going backwards! Does anyone else have this problem? Is it better to mostly ignore it and do it the "old fashioned" way? Do I just need practice/confidence? Any thoughts; suggestions etc.?

I like having the camera, say, for when I'm actually in a parking bay and reversing up to a wall because I know that once I get to the red line I have about another 14 or 15 inches clearance to go. However, I'm sort of like you in that I was a telephone engineer on BT for about 20 years, so I quickly became very comfortable with reversing by using just the door mirrors on the van and that's how I still do it today, just by door mirrors.

My Prius has a reverse camera, I find it invaluable and when I buy my IS I want one with a camera fitted.

i use it in conjunction with the mirrors and not as a standalone reversing item, you still need to see what's all around you when going backwards. 

This is the first car I've had with a reversing camera, can't get used to it , prefer using mirrors and sensors. My Wife on the other hand thinks it the best thing since sliced bread. Horses for courses I guess.

The reversing camera is an aid to reversing and should be used in conjunction with your eyes, mirrors and sensors.

It’s invaluable where I live due to children playing in the cul de sac as I reverse off my drive, but I don’t solely rely on it. 

I have always found the reverse camera to be invaluable provided you don't start a manoeuvre without first inspecting your right, left and rear surroundings,

especially when these are unfamiliar and/or the surfaces may contain protrusions or drops.    I have rarely used any of the alternative diagrams except the

one with the X and red horizontal line, which, by simultaneously showing the car's centre in any position and the distance from rear obstacles,  provides all

the information you usually ever need.   Something I have hardly ever used because I find I can effect the manoeuvre quite well and sufficiently quickly                                                      

without help is the guide for tight parallel kerb-parking between two cars, though I daresay more practice in using this particular aid would probably improve

my precision.                                  

Think you need confidence more than anything especially if not used it before.

I generally just look in side mirrors and the reversing camera, don't even bother looking behind as it seems to be a relatively wide angle lens

from time to time i suffer from back issues so for me the camera is really important

as i dont have to twist to look behind, i can just use your mirrors and screen.

Oh how times have changed.

in the early 90's i fitted parking sensors this is way before oem's fitted them as std, my co workers

mocked me for having them now they all have and use them,  just having sensors take more getting use to

as your head is saying stop but the sensors are saying carry on at least with a camera you can see exactly

where you are and know when to stop using the red line.

• 2 months later...