Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450 seat comfort

I’ve just picked up a very nice 2nd hand rx450 and driven it 200 miles to get home but found the seats really firm, didn’t really notice on the test drive but found them possibly a little too firm on the longer trip back. ( lots of delays and accidents so took 6 hrs) I’ve had a succession of Audi’s and Saab’s up to now which all had really comfortable and supportive seats.

does anyone else find the RX seats a bit on the hard side and has anyone done anything to change that?

cheers 

Dave

Hi Dave,

All I can say is that the seats in our RX450h are a bit firmer than the ones in our old RX300 used to be, but not overly so. I find the car to be extremely comfortable to sit in and drive. My longest journey without a stop was four hours and I got out without any aches or pains or a numb bum. Not sure what you can do about it but I hope you get it sorted to how you like it.

Odd really... I always thought that Audi's seats very overly firm. On the other hand, I found the seats in our previous RX very comfy.

Were your Audi and Saab old cars? - Could it be that the seats had sagged somewhat over time?

They just don’t sag, I had a boggo A6 quattro, cloth seats, then an Allroad, both about 6 yrs old when I got them, I put RS6 recaros in the allroad which were prob the best seats I’ve ever had. Next car was an A7 SE which had really good seats ( 5yrs old) and the Saab 9-5 I’ve just sold was an 09. My son has a 9-3 and those seats, while a bit narrow for me are very comfortable.

I just find the RX seats a tadge on the solid side.

Ive found a vehicle upholsterer close by so was going to have a chat to them to see if they can help.

i tried a couple of s-line A7’s before buying the SE, as I found those seats a bit wooden!

I have to say that Saab seats remain difficult to beat!

I am surprised though, that you find the RX's seats hard. When we switched from the RX400h to the RX450h, we did find the seats felt quite different and put it down to the fact that 1) the 400h had perforated leather whereas the 450h didn't, and 2) the seats in the 450h were flatter... less sculpted. We did find them very comfortable after a week or so. Had several trips across France, to Spain and to Germany without experiencing any back problems.

Perhaps that’s it, all the other seats were quite sculpted and a close fit. I’ll see how it goes once I get back to work and start driving a bit more ( still in the post op recovery phase, so quite weak still)

I agree that the Saab seats are hard to beat.  I had two 9-5s and two 9-3s before switching to Lexus four or five years ago.

I had an IS250 saloon first, then the convertible IS250C and the seats were fine.  What did my sore back was the lowness to the ground.

Bought the RX fifteen months ago and we went on a trip to Scotland last summer.  My poorly back suffered nothing from the RX seats but the hotel beds killed it !!  It was a true pleasure to get back home to my water bed.  The RX continues to cosset me !

Hope you soon become accustomed to your RX seats Dave.

We should start a sub section for Lex fans who have waterbeds? Moi aussi.

Setright has written articles about comfortable seating in cars, basically asking why car manufacturers insist on putting fat stuffed seats in cars. Velour Jap seats are considered passe here, but were often v.comfy

Citroen DS23 seats (and -2 inches of foam -floor!) were comfy.

I find my FSport seats to be rather hard and not as comfortable as "standard" seats. The narrow side to side ridged cushion shape can be fairly noticeable and feels like solid ridge sometimes. Recently had the seat base cushion replaced under warranty due to colour coming out and the new seat is significantly more comfortable than the original.

My old RX300 was far softer than CT, IS300h and new RX

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links