Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Was travelling home for weekend from London on M4 with my mom whose car it is by the way, we were in the fast lane, traffic began to slow to a steady controlled stop and after a few seconds of being stopped in traffic with the hand break on I felt a massive smash into the back of the car and got pushed forward in my seat. The guy behind whose fault it was, was in a little Toyota Prius with his wife and very small kid who was in tears. He gave my mom his name and telephone number and full address and said "we're not waiting here", despite my offer that we all head over to the shoulder. I asked him for his insurance company and he said "i'm not quite sure at the moment" then I said "are you insured"??, and his wife got angry at ME!!! 

Other than a tiny pain when I lean forward in a little area in my lower waist and an occasional dull ache in my back, we are okay. Amazingly the rear bumper except for some little scuffing and a bit where the paint has been taken off is absolutely fine, really don't understand how since the impact was enough to move the car forward even with foot break on. Also lucky that since the foot break was on we didn't get pushed into the car infant of us as well and caused a complete pile up!

Have never stood in the fast lane of a motorway before, the noise was prolific with stuff coming the other way at full speed. Kind of creepy atmosphere. As usual of the M4, the traffic began to move again and in a few minutes was like the traffic jam never existed! 

He said he will take about 2hrs to get home, so we're sorting everything out now and will phone him in a while, am hoping he picks up and that he had a genuine bond blank abut the name of his insurance company. 

Drive safely everyone! 

20180427_172615.thumb.jpg.64c01be2745deefceca9699824f8fe6c.jpgAs usual of the M4, the traffic began to move again and in a few minutes was like the traffic jam never existed! 

Let's hope the Prius driver is a 'decent' person comes clean and your whiplash isn't permanent

Don't be afraid to ask the motorway police if the section is covered by cameras - they should be prepared to send or hold any recording in case of problems.

I have a Trascend2 (dashcam) permanently wired and thoroughly recommend it to others.  

Regarding your car - that's a shame, my daughter whacked into the back of my LS430 when returning to university a year ago. She was adjusting her driver seat (manual lever) on her automatic Ford Focus when manoeuvring in our driveway that has a slope - the seat slid fully back and her feet couldn't reach the pedals with inevitable consequences!

I'm just going to patch mine up DIY, but you should get yours thoroughly checked including the exhaust and then worry about your injuries!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaKa said:

Let's hope the Prius driver is a 'decent' person comes clean and your whiplash isn't permanent

Don't be afraid to ask the motorway police if the section is covered by cameras - they should be prepared to send or hold any recording in case of problems.

I have a Trascend2 (dashcam) permanently wired and thoroughly recommend it to others.  

Regarding your car - that's a shame, my daughter whacked into the back of my LS430 when returning to university a year ago. She was adjusting her driver seat (manual lever) on her automatic Ford Focus when manoeuvring in our driveway that has a slope - the seat slid fully back and her feet couldn't reach the pedals with inevitable consequences!

I'm just going to patch mine up DIY, but you should get yours thoroughly checked including the exhaust and then worry about your injuries!  

Just realised that it's an Aygo from reviewing the pictures. Since the only visible damage isn't clear to make out hopefully everything is okay. It's amazing how these cars hold up, it felt incredibly forceful from inside but luckily because the Aygo is small and low it thankfully lined up with the rear bumper of the Lex which must have deflected most of the impact and crumpled back out. When I got out of the car I was expecting the boot lid to be completely battered. We were very lucky.

Alex 

12 minutes ago, DaKa said:

Bad luck bout your Lexus lol. Makes the two of us! 

Be sure to check under the car. Bumpers have a habit of popping back into shape and hiding floorpan damage.

Glad you are ok. My only accident was when I was a learner stopped at a red light and an old guy in a Rover 800 hit the back of me. Fortunately it was slow speed and I had the handbrake on, like you we moved forward a bit but there wasn't any lasting damage to either car.

14 minutes ago, colin79666 said:

Be sure to check under the car. Bumpers have a habit of popping back into shape and hiding floorpan damage.

Glad you are ok. My only accident was when I was a learner stopped at a red light and an old guy in a Rover 800 hit the back of me. Fortunately it was slow speed and I had the handbrake on, like you we moved forward a bit but there wasn't any lasting damage to either car.

We have just sorted everything out with the insurers and they say they will work with his insurers. The car is going to a very good place we know on Monday so that they can fully inspect it. This guy must have come up quite fast because he wasn't clearly visible when we stopped.

Fingers crossed there is no floorpan damage.

Alex 

Sorry to hear and sometimes the impact has taken some toll although surface looks ok. Be prepared and don’t let the insurance company do anything until you have made the call...good cars get written off for nothing because insurers can’t be bothered to process the claim.

I would get your doctor to check you over.  My missus was rear ended at 5mph, (on M4 years ago).  She was fine for first 3 or 4 days, then the pain back and neck pain really took hold.  Was about 6 or so visits to physio that got it sorted (and covered by other drivers insurance).

Hopefully car has nothing major underneath to sort out.

The only time I have ever been rear-ended was by a bloke on a motorbike, thankfully he was fine, and all there was on the bumper was an imprint of tyre rubber.