Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LC500 Owner Review

malcolmw

As promised, here is my more detailed review of the LC500 V8

1. Models and Features

When I test drove the LC500 and its hybrid counterpart (for about 100 miles each) both cars had the full Sport+ pack with HUD and Mark Levinson ICE. I actually purchased the “base” model and would comment as follows:

- On the road, I cannot tell any difference between the versions with and without the LSD and 4WS.

- I only listen to talk radio so the “big” stereo is pointless for me.

- I previously had an 4RX450h with HUD and found that reflections in the windscreen from the bezel in the dash top was a problem. With the F-Style instruments in the LC and the large digital speedo, I have found the HUD a unnecessary.

- The glass roof is quite a nice feature in a coupe.

- In my opinion, the 20 inch wheels look better than the larger “bling” option although I don’t think that there is much difference in ride comfort. I have Bridgestone Turanza T005 run-flat tyres rather than the Potenza (which I found gave a very harsh ride on my Aston DB9).

- I went for Sonic Red with Black full leather inside. There is not much to choose in comfort between the standard and sport seats. I would have liked to have cream leather with the red exterior but it is sadly not an option. My second choice would have been White/Rose.

- Does the rear extensible wing really do anything at normal speeds?

2. Exterior and Styling

I know that styling is a personal thing but a lot of people have commented on the striking looks (and rarity). If you look carefully, there are 4 exhaust tailpipes but these are hidden in the rear skirt - typical Lexus restraint.

The rear skirt area is the only place on the car which is difficult to wash as it has many horizontal “grooves” which pick up dirt.

The very long (and thick) doors which are set well back on the car mean that you need to plan carefully where you stop in case an adjacent car parked too close prevents you getting back into the driver’s door.

I like the windscreen washer jets which pump out water in the centre of the blades as this gives a better wash at speed.

3. Interior and Controls

Everyone knows this is really a 2 seater.

The touchpad is pretty useless and nowhere near as good as the joystick type of controller on the 4RX.

I have had the SatNav screw up and need resetting from time to time (push and hold radio ON button) but this is a minor irritant for me as I don’t use it very much. I see that the same system on the latest NX has a software upgrade so maybe I need to get this done.

I have one slight rattle from the right of the dash at 50mph on coarse tarmac but you can only hear it in warmer temperatures. I might get this looked at if it gets more annoying.

4. Driving and Performance

I am very impressed with the smooth and docile performance in traffic which transitions to high performance on open roads. It’s like two cars in one.

The brakes are huge and very progressive with excellent feel. (Maybe I have been driving hybrids for too long and have forgotten how a normal brake pedal feels.) I’m glad they didn’t fit ceramic discs as these are “track” focussed and are not so good on the road as they need warming up a lot. I have no squealing like I did on my DB9.

The driving modes:

- ECO – Wouldn’t know, never used it.

- Comfort – Not a lot softer than Normal. Only notices at low speeds in town.

- Normal – As advertised. A good compromise and not too firm.

- Sport – Seems to take a few seconds for the mode to change to allow higher revving etc.

- Sport Plus – Roll is reduced but even here the ride is not too severe. The steering and throttle response are more aggressive but not stupidly so.

The exhaust noise and “crackle” in the last two modes is very nice experience – a bit “boy-racer” but hey...

It lives up the GT billing. Not a sports car but a comfortable and fast car for grown-ups. It feels “tough” and can definitely be used day-to-day.

5. Maintenance and Service

I have cold tyre pressures set to 2.4 bar which seems to rise to about 2.7 bar after warm up.

I am getting an amazing 26 mpg overall which is outstanding for a 5 litre V8. For comparison, the Aston 6 litre V12 did 16 – 18 mpg on the same journeys.

Nothing leaks. I have checked the oil and none has been used in the time I have had the car.

Servicing costs are as follows:

Intermediate Service £345

Full Service £596

This compares very favourably with the DB9 which basically costs £1K per year at the main dealer.

6. Overall

An excellent car but it remains to be seen what depreciation will do to residuals in the long term.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have had the SatNav upgrade done in my car and it fixed some issues but it still shows the car in the wrong place sometimes as you have reported. Restarting it fixes the problem.  

Another annoying issue is with playing music. I use a USB memory stick and it goes back to the first track sometimes for no reason. 

Other than that I have had no issues. 

I agree that the touchpad is useless! 

I have seen one other LC on the road and so they are still very rare. I have seen people taking photos of mine several times and someone was even videoing it on the motorway! 

• Like 1

I will probably wait until Lexus issue yet another SatNav update before getting mine re-flashed as I'm not a big user of navigation. I play music streamed from my Iphone via Bluetooth rather than from a USB stick and this seems to work OK.

Another few comments:

- The on-board fuel consumption seems to be averaging 5% optimistic (MPG since last fill up) so, as I get about 25 mpg, I just subtract 1 mpg from the reading for a reasonably accurate figure. 

- The Climate Concierge seems to work pretty well thus avoiding having to manually switch on the seat heater/coolers and steering wheel heater.

- Even set to the lowest sensitivity, the automatic headlights still come on too quickly, for example, when driving under a line of trees.

• Like 1

@malcolmw I just love the tech of these cars such a step up on my isF, alas my Rcf doesn't have climate concierge...... I just send Mrs Rat outside instead to sort the settings prior to each journey.......:whistling1:

Big Rat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malcolmw said:

- The Climate Concierge seems to work pretty well thus avoiding having to manually switch on the seat heater/coolers and steering wheel heater.

Nice that it works well.

On the GS I find it keeps the heater on just a little too long for my liking, even on the lowest number 1 setting. I have to lower the cabin temp setting a degree or two to make it switch off earlier. Setting 4 or 5 must get unbearable.

• Like 1

I poped into the dealership the other day and was told that the are still working on a update for the sat nav system, the NX is having the same problem. the High pressure fuel pumps are now available in the UK so if you haven't already had it done  you can  have them replaced under the recall

Thanks for the info on the SatNav. I can wait until they get it right.

I haven't had a recall notice on mine for fuel pumps so maybe, as my car is a little bit later than yours, I already have the updated parts factory fitted.

1 hour ago, malcolmw said:

I haven't had a recall notice on mine for fuel pumps so maybe, as my car is a little bit later than yours, I already have the updated parts factory fitted.

You should be able to check here:

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk

or here:

https://forms.toyota.co.uk/recall-checker?lexus=true

I got a letter though a couple of weeks ago.

• 9 months later...
On 4/28/2018 at 10:51 AM, malcolmw said:

1. Models and Features

When I test drove the LC500 and its hybrid counterpart (for about 100 miles each) both cars had the full Sport+ pack with HUD and Mark Levinson ICE. I actually purchased the “base” model and would comment as follows:

- On the road, I cannot tell any difference between the versions with and without the LSD and 4WS.

- I previously had an 4RX450h with HUD and found that reflections in the windscreen from the bezel in the dash top was a problem. With the F-Style instruments in the LC and the large digital speedo, I have found the HUD a unnecessary.

- In my opinion, the 20 inch wheels look better than the larger “bling” option although I don’t think that there is much difference in ride comfort. I have Bridgestone Turanza T005 run-flat tyres rather than the Potenza (which I found gave a very harsh ride on my Aston DB9).

- I went for Sonic Red with Black full leather inside. There is not much to choose in comfort between the standard and sport seats. I would have liked to have cream leather with the red exterior but it is sadly not an option. My second choice would have been White/Rose.

2. Exterior and Styling

I know that styling is a personal thing but a lot of people have commented on the striking looks (and rarity). If you look carefully, there are 4 exhaust tailpipes but these are hidden in the rear skirt - typical Lexus restraint.

The rear skirt area is the only place on the car which is difficult to wash as it has many horizontal “grooves” which pick up dirt.

The very long (and thick) doors which are set well back on the car mean that you need to plan carefully where you stop in case an adjacent car parked too close prevents you getting back into the driver’s door.

I like the windscreen washer jets which pump out water in the centre of the blades as this gives a better wash at speed.

3. Interior and Controls

The touchpad is pretty useless and nowhere near as good as the joystick type of controller on the 4RX.

I have had the SatNav screw up and need resetting from time to time (push and hold radio ON button) but this is a minor irritant for me as I don’t use it very much. I see that the same system on the latest NX has a software upgrade so maybe I need to get this done.

I have one slight rattle from the right of the dash at 50mph on coarse tarmac but you can only hear it in warmer temperatures. I might get this looked at if it gets more annoying.

I am very impressed with the smooth and docile performance in traffic which transitions to high performance on open roads. It’s like two cars in one.

The brakes are huge and very progressive with excellent feel. (Maybe I have been driving hybrids for too long and have forgotten how a normal brake pedal feels.) I’m glad they didn’t fit ceramic discs as these are “track” focussed and are not so good on the road as they need warming up a lot. I have no squealing like I did on my DB9.

The driving modes:

- Sport – Seems to take a few seconds for the mode to change to allow higher revving etc.

- Sport Plus – Roll is reduced but even here the ride is not too severe. The steering and throttle response are more aggressive but not stupidly so.

The exhaust noise and “crackle” in the last two modes is very nice experience – a bit “boy-racer” but hey...

It lives up the GT billing. Not a sports car but a comfortable and fast car for grown-ups. It feels “tough” and can definitely be used day-to-day.

I have cold tyre pressures set to 2.4 bar which seems to rise to about 2.7 bar after warm up.

I am getting an amazing 26 mpg overall which is outstanding for a 5 litre V8. For comparison, the Aston 6 litre V12 did 16 – 18 mpg on the same journeys.

Nothing leaks. I have checked the oil and none has been used in the time I have had the car.

Full Service £596

This compares very favourably with the DB9 which basically costs £1K per year at the main dealer.

6. Overall

An excellent car but it remains to be seen what depreciation will do to residuals in the long term.

Great feedback, I enjoyed reading your review (even though I can only afford the IS300h) Thanks for sharing it!

Ps if you would like to see a video I made on the LEXUS Glasgow LC500, I have a video of it on my YT channel 'carsofglasgow'

Also, do you have any pics of your car? 😄

• 6 months later...
On 4/29/2018 at 4:51 PM, Big Rat said:

@malcolmw I just love the tech of these cars such a step up on my isF, alas my Rcf doesn't have climate concierge...... I just send Mrs Rat outside instead to sort the settings prior to each journey.......:whistling1:

Big Rat

Big rat, did you trade your IS F for the LC? If you did do you miss the F, does the LC feel as special and handle the same or better, or is it more floaty boat feeling? I’m curious but avoiding a test drive at the moment, you know just in case I sign some paperwork haha ... really fancy an LC one day! But scared I’ll miss the IS F, or not be as happy with the suspension feel. 

Dang, I’ll have to book a test drive one day.

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2018 at 10:51 AM, malcolmw said:

1. Models and Features

2. Exterior and Styling

3. Interior and Controls

The driving modes:

Full Service £596

6. Overall

Great review, I enjoyed reading what you had to say!

I have a video review of an LC500 from my local dealer if you would like to see that car?

This looks pretty much in line with my figures. These are much more competitive than the costs for servicing other "high end" coupes. My Aston was typically £1000 a year!

• 4 years later...

We hired an Lc500 5L V8 on Turo out of Los Angeles, and drove down to Phoenix and back. I absolutely loved this car, it was so easy and enjoyable  to drive, especially at high speed, with a lovely V8 sound. I found it to be very comfortable, but my more rotund partner found it less comfortable.

If I had the money, I would not hesitate to buy this car; it has its foibles, but those pale into insignificance when you consider the gorgeous V8 engine, which is a thing of beauty .

• Like 1