Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hey guys, I just bought a Lexus IS 250 SE, 2006, 56k on the clock. Really happy with it. I noticed the previous MOT from Lexus mentioned that there is a little coolant crust around the water pump and that this would cost £550.

With 56k on the clock do you think I should look into getting the water pump changed soon or is it just them trying to make more money? As far as I know there is no leakage and no noise from the water pump.

Water pump shouldn't cost more than £395 from a Lexus dealer under their Essential Care programme available to vehicles over 5 years old.

The water pump is quite a common failure on the series II IS250. It will probably get worse and noisy, but how quickly that will occur is difficult to say.

I wouldn't worry too much - my car has always had a bit of crust as you describe - I bought it 6 years ago at 29500 - now on 65500. But keep an eye on the level of coolant in the header tank.

Water pumps do seem to be a bit of a weak spot on the IS250 engine and are frequently changed before 90000 miles.

How long a warranty have you got on the car? If there is any suspicion of a leak before it's expiry I would get the seller to change the pump (if you bought from a trade seller).

A new pump can be bought for less than £100 from carparts4less and fitting is not too difficult if you have some diy capability - there is a photo or video guide on here somewhere.

• Like 1

If you have a 'weeping' water pump then it is unlikely to fail catastrophically, the amount of coolant lost might increase and it may get noisier as the lube in the bearing might get washed out but you will have time to organise this job for sometime in the future.

a genuine OEM pump inc Gasket & 'O' rings can be got here for less than £100 ( could be a lot less as it has Best Offer!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-LEXUS-IS220-IS250-GS300-GS350-GS450H-WATER-PUMP-16100-39436/253288877255?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

And if you have and are handy with some spanners then put the kettle on and grab some hobnobs and watch this great 'how to' video on replacing the 250 water pump. 

This is the route I will be going down if/when my water pump shows signs of failing on my 11 year old 250. Also I would invest the money saved and get the genuine Lexus coolant.

this guy has also got a video on doing the spark plugs ( reccomended at 60,000 miles) that at Lexus will see you not get any change out of £600 when the plugs ( Genuine ) can be got for less than £80!!!!

250 Essential Servicing prices here, but no mention of Plugs, not even in Major Service Schedule.

price for a Battery is not extortionate!

image.png

I wouldn't call it week a spot on Lexus, at least not specifically. Most modern cars will need water pump changed in the range of 60-100k miles and that is assuming you reach 100k in less then 10 years. As you car is low miles for the age, that is not very surprising that some water pump seals had perished after 60k miles, because you need to consider age as well.

Considering £395 not that much of the deal in grand scheme of things I would change it together with your next major (60k) service, Lexus might even apply some discount if you do it together with the service. I don't want to scare anyone, but the single ever reported engine gasket failure on IS250 on this forum was due to overheating and sudden loss of coolant/cooling - it can be speculated water pump was involved. As such I would not risk it considering how small the fix it is.

Just checked and @ CP4Less ( with the DFS discount! Ie Sale on all the time!) the pump comes out at £80.78... But the pic does not show the Dowty type ( rubber bonded onto metal ) Gasket or the two 'O' rings. I would like to think that it would come with these as it is a Aisin branded pump but I would check with them first.

'weak spot', I would say yes, something to lose sleep over, no. 

paul m.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links