1. 1. Would you buy an X press F car

• Yes, absoluteyl
    • No - no way!
    • I'd think long and hard about it

6 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

You need your eyes tested mine is Red..........:wink3:

After the accident, we resprayed blackBlack

29 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

I love that image, but it does annoy me as well. Why would a GT car need to be put through this. It’s not a class B rally car

But Lexus designed it to do this actually. It can sense when the car is airborne and control ABS so it doesn't get upset by this "sort of thing".

I don't see it as a GT car myself - although it is perfectly capable of standing in for one.

Thinking about the press car thing, my biggest concern would be the warming of the engine. I’m sure we all  religiously allow the engine to warm up before giving it any beans. I doubt press drivers have time to even worry about allowing the engine to be sufficiently warmed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flytvr said:

Thinking about the press car thing, my biggest concern would be the warming of the engine. I’m sure we all  religiously allow the engine to warm up before giving it any beans. I doubt press drivers have time to even worry about allowing the engine to be sufficiently warmed.

The 2UR-GSE engine is excellent at protecting itself though. The redline is very low when cold and gradually increases as it gets warmer. The transmission will also restrict the higher gears to protect it, and strain in the engine.

Modern synthetic oils also offer great protection right from start up.

My concern is more around the suspension components, if it has been repeatedly smashed over kerbs on a track, rather than the engine or transmission.

• Like 3

I don't even understand what is the issue with press cars? 

Surely, Lexus wanted to impress press as much as possible, so the press cars would have been best of the best - carefully inspected and maintained. So, do I trust the private petrol head with car maintenance or do I trust Lexus itself? - surely I trust Lexus more, especially considering that neglecting the car for them could cost massive negative publicity if say such car would broke down during press run.

Secondly, yes.. they might have been tract a little bit, driven little bit harder... but track driving on selected tracks and road testing on selected roads where Lexus technicians are on the spot are nothing in comparison with driving over broken British roads or "trashing" car in traffic. Additionally, cat journalists are second best drivers after race drivers and have ample experience, so even though they drive cars fast and push them to the limits, they are potentially trashing them less then regular driver would.

If anything I would expect ex-press cars to be in better shape then privately owned ones for the same mileage. 

I inadvertently purchased an ex press RCF.  Found out about it a few weeks later when I saw a repeat of Top Gear!  Needless to say I wasn't best pleased given it had been described as a directors car by the Lexus dealer who sold it to me.  Still, I negotiated 3 years extended warranty as a compromise.  Had there have been more to choose from I would probably have given it back out of principle, but I didn't want to be without a car for a potentially extended period of time.

That said, apart from some slightly excessive stone chips, the car has been faultless over the last year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SMorris said:

I inadvertently purchased an ex press RCF.  Found out about it a few weeks later when I saw a repeat of Top Gear!  Needless to say I wasn't best pleased given it had been described as a directors car by the Lexus dealer who sold it to me.  Still, I negotiated 3 years extended warranty as a compromise.  Had there have been more to choose from I would probably have given it back out of principle, but I didn't want to be without a car for a potentially extended period of time.

That said, apart from some slightly excessive stone chips, the car has been faultless over the last year.

I just a bit confused what is the point of extended warranty when it is 2014 car? I comes standard with 5years/60k miles isn't it? So does it mean they made it 8 years for you?

Actually, this sounds like repeated story "directors car"... Whenever I talk with sales guys in Woodford Lexus, they keep repeating it as well "...ohh yes this RC-F .. yes it is directors wife's car... ohh that LC... yes that is Managing directors car...".

Yes, as Martin says, it's only 3 years standard warranty so the extension for a few years was a bit of added peace of mind.

The biggest issue for me was not necessarily that it had been one of the main press cars at launch, but rather that the history was not disclosed at purchase such that I could decide for myself.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, SMorris said:

Yes, as Martin says, it's only 3 years standard warranty so the extension for a few years was a bit of added peace of mind.

The biggest issue for me was not necessarily that it had been one of the main press cars at launch, but rather that the history was not disclosed at purchase such that I could decide for myself.

That is disappointing. I guess it would be different if you had asked and they lied, but technically they are within the law if you didn't ask - you expect more from main dealers.

Actually, I did ask.  Not explicitly if it was a press car, but I asked about the previous keeper and was told it was a directors car.  In fairness to my local dealer, they sourced it from another Lexus branch for me, so it may have been simply a case of it was known by the original dealer (Lexus UK tell me they would know) but not by my local one.

• Like 1

@SMorris This is my whole point they really do need to be simply up front with this so the buyer can make an informed judgement on his purchase, it's simply dishonest if they don't. Not everyone has the time like me to fully look into there intended purchase but you hope a little bit more from main dealers, with some of them obviously not.

Big Rat

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SMorris said:

Actually, I did ask.  Not explicitly if it was a press car, but I asked about the previous keeper and was told it was a directors car.  In fairness to my local dealer, they sourced it from another Lexus branch for me, so it may have been simply a case of it was known by the original dealer (Lexus UK tell me they would know) but not by my local one.

@SMorris Stuart sent you a pm 👍

17 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Actually, this sounds like repeated story "directors car"... Whenever I talk with sales guys in Woodford Lexus, they keep repeating it as well "...ohh yes this RC-F .. yes it is directors wife's car... ohh that LC... yes that is Managing directors car...".

Strange that. Not just with Lexus but also BMW . My last BMW was apparently the dealer principals car before it went to Mr and Mrs Miggins down the road for 12 months. I think its code for "its a fast car that's been ragged within an inch of its life by everyone at the dealership but scrubs up well".    

• Haha 2

Feel like I need to update this thread to say that i’ll soon be joining the owners club as an actual owner rather than potential owner...I can also update the group on how it is owning an ex-press car! 

After some to-ing and fro-ing; some hand wringing; and apologising from the dealers (and a further sweetener!) I went ahead and purchased the silver rcf Carbon. It arrives on the 17th. Let’s hope there’s a meet soon after for me to come and show the car off at!

• Like 3

Congratulations!!

I’m sure you will love the car & at least it provided a good bargaining position with the dealer after all the do I / don’t I .

Enjoy your 1st drive home 👍🏻

• Like 1

Sliiightly off topic - but I guess the car will soon join the ranks of ‘ex-directors car’ sat Outside a Lexus dealer somewhere!

Anyhow it reads well and is from this months EVO - end of Richard Meaden’s (who I have muchous respect for) long term test. I think he perfectly sums up why the F is such a good purchase - to paraphrase...its the experienced worldly wise mans purchase! :yes:

82C63EF9-B96C-4632-9010-80CD48F80145.jpeg

1E9BFF8F-9618-40E1-A1CD-7BAD4511E894.jpeg

• Like 4

As I believe I said before the longer it is around the more it will be appreciated. It is just Lexus got it wrong calling a track car then a road car. That was how it was judged. It can do track work very well but you can’t hide weight. The car will gain more and more love the longer it is around. Interesting comments about the attention it got. As a package and ownership experience, like the isf and gsf, it can’t be beaten even when compared with rivals. 

Thank you for posting the article.

Just now, Linas.P said:

RC-F Carbon didn't help in that regard either... 

What do you mean chap? Do you mean because that was supposed to be more track focused due to 9.5kg weight reduction. Basically a good burger 😂

Yes that... except it should have been "more track focused and 395kg lighter" and without things like rear seats and with things like carbon brakes... they might have simply used some carbon vinyl if that was not intended.

I think what I found interesting in point in article above is comparison with Bentley and that is very good point, it makes much more sense in that setting i.e. Luxury GT and not sports car.

• Like 1

Agreed. It can hustle the back roads well and is a direct comparison to the rivals but it’s just a bit too fat. The Merc was 1655kg so 100kg lighter than the carbon rcf! That says a lot. They should have done more to lighten the carbon model. Closer to 1500kg would have been ideal.

Changing exhaust (cat back) on the carbon car will reduce weight by another 15kg ish so that 25kg less Getting there! 😂

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links