Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possibly Returning To The Fold...

Greeting folks. I’ve not visited the F section for quite a while!

I used to own a 2008 ISF a few years back, it was purchased from a fellow forum member and I foolishly sold it on (to Evans Halshaw who sold it to a current forum member) and replaced it with a heavily modified Evo X. 

The X was fun but I replaced it a year later with a Alfa 4C spider and 6 months later I replaced that with the strangest car of all, a Renault Zoe!

I am 5 months into Zoe ownership and it’s time to get back into a quick car again. This leads me to my current dilemma. The plan was to get a E46 M3 next as a daily driver with a view to modify it a bit for fast road and occasional track use. However during my time scouring AutoTrader, Pistonheads, eBay etc I spotted a few ISFs for sale for a similar price to the M3s. 

Now I’m probably asking this in the wrong forum given that the answers will be highly biased but which one do I go for? The M3 is on my list of cars to own but the ISF is somewhat more practical. I regret selling my last one but will one be any good on track given the weight difference?

Good to hear from you again, my neighbour has an E46 M3, not unreliable as such but there always seems to be niggling faults he needs to deal with, not big enough to take it off the road but forever paying out for one thing after another he has mentioned  the Rcf as an alternative.

I think the E46 would be a good project / second car. But if you're after a daily, I'd pick the lexus. Although I wouldn't want to get another IS-F, It would have to be the RC or GS to be different enough to interest me.

Remember the isf can be made lighter with different front seats and that alone brings the weight down to almost 1700 to 1750 kg. For the size of engine and drive line it's not really a over weight car to start with.

As others have said the isf is the better car. It can take track punishment and keep asking for more. Linear v8 power delivery,great brakes and built really well. Basically instead of spending money fixing niggles or upgrading brakes you can actually enjoy it. As mentioned swap the front seats for weight saving and maybe the wheels and exhaust as well for looks and weight. Job done! 

I went through this thought process and am currently waiting on delivery of a second hand RCF from a Lexus main dealer...i'm currently living through the hell of questionable background of the one I currently am waiting on, but regardless of the outcome of that...the conclusion that I came to - which was to plump for the Lexus is what is relevant here. 

At the price range I was looking at I was looking more at M4's but for me whilst they are great cars they are just a little 'twitchy'. Its quite telling that insurance premiums for M3 and M4's are going up quite quickly at the moment as current owners end up in a bush or the Armco.

I liken it to hifi and headphones...there are loads of bits of hifi and especially headphones that sound overly 'bright' - the net result is the first impression is really exciting, dynamic and impressive but longer term it gets tiring and is not something you can live with...i felt the M4 was a bit like that - almost designed to win a road test, rather than to live with. The shortcomings thrown at the Lexus are almost Pavlovian, I can't see having driven one how anyone could walk out of it and think 'well that felt a bit heavy'.  

• Like 2

My budget is a little lower this time after ****** away a lot of cash on the last few cars so the RCF is sadly too rich for my blood. 

I’ll give it some further thought and maybe view a cars soon before deciding on what route to take. Having spent a lot of time on the M3 forum (cutters) I’ve seen that there is a lot to go wrong on the E46 M3 in comparison with the ISF. That should make it a no brainer but as always I can’t decide!

Over the years of owning a isf you can gradually up the power of them, eventually a Supercharger fitted giving you 640bhp and still have reliability.

I would like to know how fast a CCSR isf racing car could be with a RRRacing Supercharger kit.

Can you imagine doing the grocery run in that lol

9 hours ago, GibletPH said:

I spotted a few ISFs for sale for a similar price to the M3s. 

You sure you mean E46 M3 and not E92, 90, 93? Because, there are no IS-F in E46 price range or similar.... 

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

You sure you mean E46 M3 and not E92, 90, 93? Because, there are no IS-F in E46 price range or similar.... 

I was looking at low mileage E46 M3s with a few pricey mods like the £1500-£2000 CSL style airbox. 

Looks like I’m set on the ISF. Heading to Gloucester (just my luck to never find something local) next Saturday to view and hopefully purchase the one that I’m interested in.

Having spent almost 6 months driving a Renault Zoe as a daily (and a few miles in other cars) it will be nice to get back into something quick again. 

• Like 2

I've owned two E46 m3s and I loved them if you haven't owned one I'd definitely try one out the handling and driving experience is dare I say it more involving than the ISF I chose a manual box in each car and other than wear and tear items they never let me down which is why I use the E46 touring platform as a daily.

I tried one out, only a short test drive but it seemed like fun. However I think the market is stupidly inflated. Way too many examples being advertised as having “investment potential”. 

As a result all the cars for sale seem to be overpriced to me and I fear the market will fall on it’s arse so I’ll go with an ISF for now.

On 5/1/2018 at 10:04 AM, GibletPH said:

Greeting folks. I’ve not visited the F section for quite a while!

I used to own a 2008 ISF a few years back, it was purchased from a fellow forum member and I foolishly sold it on (to Evans Halshaw who sold it to a current forum member) and replaced it with a heavily modified Evo X. 

The X was fun but I replaced it a year later with a Alfa 4C spider and 6 months later I replaced that with the strangest car of all, a Renault Zoe!

I am 5 months into Zoe ownership and it’s time to get back into a quick car again. This leads me to my current dilemma. The plan was to get a E46 M3 next as a daily driver with a view to modify it a bit for fast road and occasional track use. However during my time scouring AutoTrader, Pistonheads, eBay etc I spotted a few ISFs for sale for a similar price to the M3s. 

Now I’m probably asking this in the wrong forum given that the answers will be highly biased but which one do I go for? The M3 is on my list of cars to own but the ISF is somewhat more practical. I regret selling my last one but will one be any good on track given the weight difference?

Hello again Gib

I remember we had a few heated discussions when you were active on here previously, however, its always good to see a familiar profile back on the forum, so ill try to be nice to you this time :laugh:

Both IS-F and E46 M3 are very nice vehicles. However, it appears the good examples of the M3 are at around £15k+. They are almost sure to gain value in the future, however, its much more likely that they also suffer from rust underneath and they aren't the most reliable of things anyway if that makes a difference to you.

The E46 is pretty practical for a 2 door coupe and arguably more involving for track use. It tends to have a lot more potential for modifications as well with plenty of owners going down the eibach springs route etc. I wouldn't recommend the SMG though, its genuinely crap and I dont understand why so many people love it. I get the arguments that you have to learn it, lift off before shifting etc etc but its still bad. 

2 years ago, I passed at the opportunity at getting myself an E46 M3 in Silverstone with Blue leather interior. Was a mint example and I should have snapped it up for the price it was back then - £13k-ish

I had no issues with the SMG box when I drove one. My issue with the inflated values, in comparison the ISF values have dropped and I can’t see them dropping much further before they slowly increase. 

Granted I never keep a car that long. I still regret selling my last ISF so it makes sense to try another and see how long I keep it this time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GibletPH said:

I had no issues with the SMG box when I drove one. My issue with the inflated values, in comparison the ISF values have dropped and I can’t see them dropping much further before they slowly increase. 

Granted I never keep a car that long. I still regret selling my last ISF so it makes sense to try another and see how long I keep it this time. 

Is there any way of having a 24hr test drive? I’ve had these before, my problem is I like all cars for the first few hours, then the excitement wears off, I had an M3 a few years back, manual and no issues whilst owning it BUT I PX’d when the time had come due to niggles starting, I liked it a lot but I’d be wary to return to the brand. With the budget your looking at I would of thought an extended test drive shouldn’t be an issue 👍

18 hours ago, GibletPH said:

Thats fair enough - the main issue with the SMG I found was on hills. Having done research beforehand, I knew it might have been troublesome so decided to do a reverse parallel park on a fairly steep hill on the test drive.

Lets just say it was quite an experience and took much longer than it should have done.

Of course, all irrelevant if you never park on hills but worth bearing in mind.

Anyways, in terms of IS-F any in particular you've seen around or interested in?

The SMG setup does have some quirks but I was quite drawn to it, with the right software tweaks it’s a rather decent thing. 

Buying another 08 ISF from a fellow forum member. Same colour combo as my last one just a few more miles on this one. It has a H&S exhaust fitted, will see how I get on it. I had a custom one made for my last one with a remote valve so may tweak the H&S one. 

After 6 months of driving a little electric car I’m looking forward to driving a quick car again. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GibletPH said:

b2TjL6Js.jpg

Well I’m back home and back in the fold! Let’s see how long it lasts this time around

I’m not getting the impression that you are thrilled with your purchase. A bit like getting back together with an x girlfriend and realising the reasons for the break up are still there.

Hopefully I am wrong

3 hours ago, Flytvr said:

I’m not getting the impression that you are thrilled with your purchase. A bit like getting back together with an x girlfriend and realising the reasons for the break up are still there.

Hopefully I am wrong

I’m rarely thrilled by anything these days, it seems that I’ve become a grumpy old man despite only being 30 years old. I think I’ve just become blasé towards cars in general.

Don’t get me wrong, the car is great and the drive home was effortless despite the motorway closures. The H&S exhaust is rather good, don’t think I’ll be tinkering with it as it seems to have the right note and volume out of the box. I may purchase the Apexi throttle controller as I’d forgotten how lazy the pedal felt in normal mode, sports is a tad too sensitive for urban driving.

4 hours ago, GibletPH said:

I’m rarely thrilled by anything these days, it seems that I’ve become a grumpy old man despite only being 30 years old. I think I’ve just become blasé towards cars in general.

Don’t get me wrong, the car is great and the drive home was effortless despite the motorway closures. The H&S exhaust is rather good, don’t think I’ll be tinkering with it as it seems to have the right note and volume out of the box. I may purchase the Apexi throttle controller as I’d forgotten how lazy the pedal felt in normal mode, sports is a tad too sensitive for urban driving.

Bit young to be bored by cars chap. Maybe you need a poop box and a special weekend car to reinvigorate your interest? I also try not to go back to the same car as that does detract from the ‘special’ feeling no matter how good the car is. Driving something new to you is always more exciting.

4 hours ago, GibletPH said:

Haha, I'm still only 29 so still haven't hit that grumpy milestone yet!

Apexi is a must, they're a good price on eBay at the moment.

Welcome back.

1 hour ago, Stuno1 said:

Bit young to be bored by cars chap. Maybe you need a poop box and a special weekend car to reinvigorate your interest? I also try not to go back to the same car as that does detract from the ‘special’ feeling no matter how good the car is. Driving something new to you is always more exciting.

My thoughts as well, I struggle to believe you are bored by cars at the age of 30, or is that because they are not as involving as they were when I was younger, we could maintain them, repair them, I have spent a weekend under a Lotus Cortina changing a rear axle and consequently I had a bond with that car, however if you drop your car off at the dealership for service(as I do) and take it to the local car wash to have it cleaned then I suppose you will look at your car as "white goods" like a washing machine, if this is the case then its a shame..................